Book

Kill or Save: UK No.1-hits of the 60s

18 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

6/30/2023

61 The Rolling Stones – Paint It, Black +4

00 The Kinks – Really Gotten -6

Wait, what?? We have A Winner?

Excellent.

Get the 2000's done and we can have a champion of champions round...

• Like 1

I'm very happy. "Paint It, Black" is a great song and a great winner. :)

This game was a great idea, @Book.

It was always fun and your work as a host was exceptional.

Your game helped me through a very difficult and lonely time.

Thank you very much for the game and thank you very much for your time.

You're a great member of this place. ;)

• Like 13

1 minute ago, MariNisia said:

This game was a great idea, @Book.

It was always fun and your work as a host was exceptional.

Thank you very much for the game and thank you very much for your time.

You're a great member of this place. ;)

Here, here!

Thanks for organising these  @Book it has been great fun.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

6/30/2023

61 The Rolling Stones – Paint It, Black +4

00 The Kinks – Really Gotten -6

Technically the score should be -3.

I'm very satisfied with the winner. Fits well with the site's theme considering the song is about grief.

• Like 1

Probably my favorite song that has won a KoS so far, I don't mind the other winners but this is the first time that a song in my top 5 won the thing.

• Like 1

I voted for Motown and will always vote local lol but I thought The Kinks deserved the title if Motown couldn’t win.  For my money that Stones song isn’t even in their top 5.  But hey, the masses have spoken.  To the winner, Huzzah! 
SC

• Like 1

Well, I’m happy with that! Of the four KoS champions, this one feels the most ‘right’ (ngl we fucked the 80s and 90s). It was between this and Marvin Gaye for me, glad that made the top 5 too.

Once again @Book, thanks for bringing us what is undoubtedly the best little corner of this forum. Roll on the…er…hang on, what’s next? Whatever it is, I’ll sure as fuck be there.

• Like 3

Congratulations to The Rollings Stones and their smash “Paint it, black”, the winner of the KoS of the UK No.1-hits of the 60s! :clap:

"Paint it, black" was No. 1 in the UK (1 week), in the USA (2 weeks), the Netherlands (3 weeks and even 4 weeks in 1990!) and Canada (1 week) as well as in the top 10 of almost all music hit parades recorded at the time, e.g. No. 2 in Germany, Ireland, Sweden or Norway.

All in all, this song is probably one of the most famous and significant songs of the Rolling Stones and the 60s, while the band certainly shaped an entire era with their music, their appearance and their lifestyle.

A worthy winner of this round! I'm personally happy with the winner, even though I never voted for it ;)

The Grand Final of the 60s

01. The Rolling Stones – Paint it, black

02. The Kinks – You really got me (Death Impends)

03. The Animals – House of the rising sun (MariNisia)

04. The Four Tops – Reach out, I´ll be there (BuffaloPhil)

05. Marvin Gaye – I heard it through the grapevine (diego)

06. The Rolling Stones – (I can't get no) Satisfaction (Bibliogryphon)

07. The Supremes – Baby Love (ladyfiona)

08. Dusty Springfield – You don´t have to say you love me (DoltonMoney)

09. Crazy World of Arthur Brown – Fire (DoltonMoney)

10. Del Shannon – Runaway (ladyfiona)

11. Louis Armstrong – What a wonderful world (Book)

12. Procol Harum – A whiter shade of pale (theoldlady)

13. The Shadows – Apache (RIP Wee Jum)

14. Elvis Presley – Rock-a-hula baby/Can´t help falling in love (ladyfiona)

15. The Tornados – Telstar (lilham)

16. Creedence Clearwater Revival – Bad moon rising (BuffaloPhil)

17. Roy Orbison – Only the lonely (ladyfiona)

18. B. Bumble & the Stingers – Nut Rocker (theoldlady)

19. John Leyton – Johnny remember me (TQR)

20. The Beatles – From me to you (time)

21. The Rolling Stones – Get off of my cloud (RIP Wee Jum)

22. The Monkees – I´m a believer (theoldlady)

23. Helen Shapiro – Walkin´ back to happiness (ladyfiona)

24. The Rolling Stones – Jumpin´ Jack Flash (ladyfiona)

25. The Beatles – Ticket to ride (BuffaloPhil)

Killer Queens:

6 ladyfiona :huh:

3 BuffaloPhil

3 theoldlady

2 DoltonMoney

2 RIP Wee Jum

1 Bibliogryphon

1 Book

1 Death Impends

1 diego

1 lilham

1 MariNisia

1 time

1 TQR

Again it's time to say Thank You to all the players, the killers and the savers, the quiet ones and the louder ones, the attentives and the inattentives, our killer queen and our police queen. You all made this topic (and the ones before) a special place on DeathList. Bravo! :bow:

Now it's time for me to pass on the scepter to... I'm sorry, I don't know :D

But I do know that the long-awaited UK No. 2 hits are about to be played. I'm really looking forward to that, especially the discussions about why this song isn't No.1 and what shit blocked it that very week...etc. I'm sure we'll have as much fun with these songs as we did with the No.1 songs.

All that remains for me to say: Thank you and ciao – for now!

Faithfully Yours

Music-Book

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8

Well, finally another small evaluation:

In total we have played 24 rounds of KoS so far, 5 regular rounds plus the Grand Finals in each decade.

In the 60s, En Passant was the dominant killer with 12 hits in 2 rounds, but the killer instinct of our theoldlady was already evident here, even if only in 2 rounds and in each case in a shared first place.

The 80s and the early 90s were shaped or killed by a wide variety of users, with no dominance of a specific player emerging.

But then, from 1994/95, theoldlady entered the KoS stage, first again discreetly with a shared victory, but from 1996/97 there was no stopping theoldlady and she was in a frenzy of blood! Not only that she set a lap record with 10 songs killed in 1996/97! No, she broke her own record again in the following round with 12 songs killed! (Admittedly, these were also by far the largest game rounds). Needless to say, theoldlady also rocked the 90's Grand Final!

The years 1960 - 1967 dominated theoldlady without mercy, but suddenly showed a small weakness in 1968/69 by sharing the Killer-Queen title with BuffaloPhil, and then was mercilessly overtaken by ladyfiona in the Grand Final of the 60s. Is the Killer-Queen now giving her scepter to the Killer-Princess, from lady to lady? Is this the beginning of a new era in KoS? Well, we'll see...

But for now, let's crown our Killer-Queen @theoldlady

johnny-english-rowan-atkinson.gif

70/71 En Passant 8

72/73 Grim Up North/theoldlady 5

74/75 Drewsky1211 6

76/77 En Passant 4

78/79 Death Impends/theoldlady 4

70s Grand Final: Toast 3

80/81 Clorox Bleachman/Death Impends/Paul Bearer/Toast 4

82/83 Drewsky1211 4

84/85 ladyfiona 4

86/87 Joey Russ 6

88/89 Death Impends/Sir Creep 4

80s Grand Final: Drewsky1211 5

90/91 Paul Bearer 5

92/93 Imelda/TQR/wannamaker 3

94/95 Drewsky1211/theoldlady 4

96/97 theoldlady 10

98/99 theoldlady 12

90s Grand Final: theoldlady 5

60/61 theoldlady 7

62/63 theoldlady 5

64/65 theoldlady 9

66/67 theoldlady 7

68/69 BuffaloPhil/theoldlady 4

60s Grand Final: ladyfiona 6

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Book said:

Again it's time to say Thank You to all the players, the killers and the savers, the quiet ones and the louder ones, the attentives and the inattentives, our killer queen and our police queen. You all made this topic (and the ones before) a special place on DeathList. Bravo! :bow:

Now it's time for me to pass on the scepter to... I'm sorry, I don't know :D

But I do know that the long-awaited UK No. 2 hits are about to be played.

Well, firstly, thanks so much Book for bringing this game to us and hosting the past four.

I’ve said before I’m more than happy to take over hosting duties should we need a new one. I’ll gladly commit to sorting out No.2s of the 70s, 80s, 90s and 60s, plus one big Christmas Special to launch on 1st December.

If we do No.3s after that, or we want any other special editions of this game (e.g. I really liked the player choice idea Bib had), anyone else can feel free to host those. Also, if the consensus is we want a 00s game too, someone else can sort that and I’ll step in when we set about the No.2s.

If we’re all happy, I’ll get to organising this bollocks. I’m a busy man though so a little patience please!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

41 minutes ago, TQR said:

Well, firstly, thanks so much Book for bringing this game to us and hosting the past four.

I’ve said before I’m more than happy to take over hosting duties should we need a new one. I’ll gladly commit to sorting out No.2s of the 70s, 80s, 90s and 60s, plus one big Christmas Special to launch on 1st December.

If we do No.3s after that, or we want any other special editions of this game (e.g. I really liked the player choice idea Bib had), anyone else can feel free to host those. Also, if the consensus is we want a 00s game too, someone else can sort that and I’ll step in when we set about the No.2s.

If we’re all happy, I’ll get to organising this bollocks. I’m a busy man though so a little patience please!

If the people want a 00s game, I'd gladly host that. Barring today, I'm extremely free for the next 2 weeks, so it would keep me occupied for a while.

• Like 4

I would just like to add my thanks to @Book for running this it has been a fascinating delve into our shared musical heritage and I think as a group we probably made choices that would not necessarily be reflected in the wider public.

I would also like to acknowledge the rest of the players, proceedings have been civil and law abiding and it has made sure I come to the site everyday since we started these

I will of course vigorously participate in any future games and press my ill-informed opinions on you all whether you wanted them or not

• Like 5

Thanks @Book for hosting this - enjoy your retirement. It's been mostly fun, though I haven't necessarily agreed with the winners, and I particularly enjoy the fact that even after all this time, some participants still haven't got their head around "-6, +4"!

I'm looking forward to whatever comes next (as long as it isn't the 00's ;) (Seriously, the first round is 74 songs and i know about half of them)).

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, time said:

Thanks @Book for hosting this - enjoy your retirement. It's been mostly fun, though I haven't necessarily agreed with the winners, and I particularly enjoy the fact that even after all this time, some participants still haven't got their head around "-6, +4"!

I'm looking forward to whatever comes next (as long as it isn't the 00's ;) (Seriously, the first round is 74 songs and i know about half of them)).

See it as an opportunity to learn more about 00's music. You may find some gems that have passed you by or you may be able to indulge the warm glow and gleefully proclaim "I was right good music died in the eighties"

• Like 1

Big thanks to Book.

And delighted with the 60s result - my top 2 were the final 2, albeit the other way round.

70s no 2s is fine by me, but didn't we agree to do a (mid-late) 50s one next a few weeks ago? 

Having downvoted all those 'not very good living on past glories' Elvis no 1s of the 60s would be a shame to overlook the classic ones of the 50s.

• Like 4

Thanks for running, @Book - great job. Happy with PIB winning this, in fact happy with the whole top 5.

Looking forward to both the no. 2s competition and also the 00's one - the latter simply because it'll include that classic Christmas #1 single, Killing In The Name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TQR said:

Well, I’m happy with that! Of the four KoS champions, this one feels the most ‘right’ (ngl we fucked the 80s and 90s). It was between this and Marvin Gaye for me, glad that made the top 5 too.

Once again @Book, thanks for bringing us what is undoubtedly the best little corner of this forum. Roll on the…er…hang on, what’s next? Whatever it is, I’ll sure as fuck be there.

Y’all completely fucked the 70s, but I wasn’t around at the time voting, and I’ll end my opinion there.. I agree about the 80s but I’m ok with the obtuse Kraut song winning.  

Thank you so much @Book for running this game! Quite enjoyable! Good luck on your well-deserved retirement from hosting this game! Have a lovely summer. 

• Like 2