Wormfarmer

Tic-Tac-Toe Tag

Zimbabwe Double letter first and last name
Restaurant owner
H.S. initials Heath Streak Harrison Schmitt Haddon Salt
Jazz Mike Gibbs Terry Gibbs Herb Alpert
Politician Denis Walker Dennis Skinner Yevgeny Prigozhin

I really think one initial is weak.  So I forced myself to use BOTH initials.  I mean, c'mon.

Thanks CSB for the chart!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Restaurant owner

I really think one initial is weak.  So I forced myself to use BOTH initials.  I mean, c'mon.

Thanks CSB for the chart!

Not entirely sure this is how this works...

From the rules page

H1 = year of birth #1

H2 = first letter of first name

H3 = year of birth #2

V1 = claim to fame #1 (choose 1: actors, musicians, politicians/world leaders, religious figures, scientists/inventors, authors/journalists and athletes)

V2 = first letter of last name

V3 = claim to fame #2  (choose 1: actors, musicians, politicians/world leaders, religious figures, scientists/inventors, authors/journalists and athletes)

You select from the topics available

54 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

From the rules page

H1 = year of birth #1

H3 = year of birth #2

V1 = claim to fame #1 (choose 1: actors, musicians, politicians/world leaders, religious figures, scientists/inventors, authors/journalists and athletes)

V3 = claim to fame #2  (choose 1: actors, musicians, politicians/world leaders, religious figures, scientists/inventors, authors/journalists and athletes)

I thought that was an example only and we made our own topics - it’s ok if you’re correct I can go back to the drawing board.  Imho mine is more interesting, kinda like the movie cast DP.  
I await clarification.

• Like 1

1                              2                              3

1      Joan Plowright     Milan Kundera      Leroy Van Dyke     (b. 1929)

2     Joyce Randolph       Joe Kinnear        John Farnham            (J)

3    M. Emmet Walsh     Sandy Koufax     Steve Lawrence     (b. 1935)

(actors)                       (K)                   (musicians)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

From the rules page

H1 = year of birth #1

H3 = year of birth #2

I think you are incorrect.

“Each player will submit a list of 9 names in the form of a tic tac toe board, wherein each line of the board (V)vertically and (H)horizontally has a theme.  For example:

1                          2                               3

1  frankie avalon   smokey robinson   lance henriksen   (b. 1940)

2  keith richards    ken rosewall           kim novak             (k)   

3  neil diamond     pete rose                 nick nolte             (b. 1941)

(musicians)             (r)                       (actors)

H1 = year of birth #1… *snip*

For this example, year of birth #1 is 1940 and year of birth #2 is 1941, while claim to fame #1 is musicians and claim to fame #2 is actors, while of course the letter chosen for H2 is K and V2 is R.”

IOW it’s only AN EXAMPLE.  We are to choose our own topics.  I’m sticking with my cool chart.

12 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I thought that was an example only and we made our own topics - it’s ok if you’re correct I can go back to the drawing board.  Imho mine is more interesting, kinda like the movie cast DP.  
I await clarification.

I did provide an example, but the example followed the rules set forth.  So there were rules AND an example.  Not quite sure what you did, Sir C . . . Herb Alpert might be a restaurant owner, but I know him as a trumpeter and leader of the Tijuana Brass (er, musician).  Looks like you spent some time on this, which is great, but everyone else is on the right track and you took a hard left at Zorbat station . . . .I have tried to clarify my opening rules to keep others from leaving the tracks.  I like your effort here, but I know that if we went with wide open categories we would end up with many names outside the realm of what I consider legitimate celebrities/known figures.  Maybe a future game!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Wormfarmer said:

I did provide an example, but the example followed the rules set forth.  So there were rules AND an example.  Not quite sure what you did, Sir C . . . Herb Alpert might be a restaurant owner, but I know him as a trumpeter and leader of the Tijuana Brass (er, musician).  Looks like you spent some time on this, which is great, but everyone else is on the right track and you took a hard left at Zorbat station . . . .I have tried to clarify my opening rules to keep others from leaving the tracks.  I like your effort here, but I know that if we went with wide open categories we would end up with many names outside the realm of what I consider legitimate celebrities/known figures.  Maybe a future game!

OK boss I’ll send in a new entry 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 14:00, MariNisia said:

1                              2                              3

1      Joan Plowright     Milan Kundera      Leroy Van Dyke     (b. 1929)

2     Joyce Randolph       Joe Kinnear        John Farnham            (J)

3    M. Emmet Walsh     Sandy Koufax     Steve Lawrence     (b. 1935)

(actors)                       (K)                   (musicians)

@Wormfarmer... about my team and about Milan Kundera.

Do I need to change my picks?... :mellow:  Is Milan Kundera a hit?... :sherlock:

• Like 3

On 05/07/2023 at 23:58, Wormfarmer said:

Here is another issue.  Due to the linking of all names submitted in a tic tac toe grid, replacing a name that dies before the game starts in not a simple feat.  It will likely require a re-structuring of part or all of an entry.  So I am proposing a start date for this game of July 7, on which day scoring will commence.  Entries are not due at this time, but teams will be active once posted, so that early entrants do not have to restructure their whole entries as we accumulate hits throughout July.  I suppose this is a bit of incentive not to wait until the last minute to submit.  

8 hours ago, MariNisia said:

Do I need to change my picks?... :mellow:  Is Milan Kundera a hit?... :sherlock:

Should be a hit, according to @Wormfarmer's post above. Assuming he died after you posted your team, otherwise that would be a bit dodgy :D

• Haha 1

I'd forgotten about this, so thanks to Milan Kundera for dying!

Musicians 

Last name  First Letter 'O'
Politicians

Year of Birth

Quincy Jones Yoko Ono Michael Heseltine
First name First Letter 'T' Torben Ulrich Tom Oliver Terence (Baron) Higgins

Year of Birth

Richard Bonynge Edna O'Brien James Baker
Might be one or two that'll be fishing for Obits, but fingers crossed!
  • Like 2

Jimmy Carter          Dub Jones (Am Football Player)                                                  Edward Field (1924)
Diane Feinstein       Derek Jacob                                                                                     David Ferry    (D)
Jean Marie Le Pen Tom Jones  (
American lyricist and librettist)                                  William Kennedy (1928)

(Politicians)               (J)                                                                                                     (authors)

I think I did it right, if there's something wrong let me know, I sent it on July 5th via personal message, but I haven't had a response yet so I put it here

• Like 1

(actor) (B) (politician)
(1933) Derek Martin Biddy Baxter Dianne Feinstein
(J) Joss Ackland James L. Buckley Jacques Delors
(1926) Doreen Mantle Stanley Baxter Valdas Adamkus

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MariNisia said:

I see he did die the same day you submitted your team.  But I doubt you would have included him if you'd known he was dead, at the risk of a controversy.  So, your word that it was just a lucky coincidence is good in my book.  I will start posting teams and scores after the game closes for entries, early August at the latest.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully squeezing in under the wire .....

image.png.dfaccfdc9532a994c84add780786de4a.png

• Like 1

Well.  Doreen Mantle was a quick score for me.

Perhaps someone else picked her as well.  ;)

• Like 2

James L. Buckley is my centre hit. Only the rapidly decaying Feinstein needed for a diagonal trio!

• Shocked 1

On 11/07/2023 at 06:29, Sir Creep said:

Restaurant owner

Updating my version.  Lose the column restrictions and this is a great game. Anyway I’m a Terry Gibbs free space away.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

I just did a quick check for hits I was aware of and added 3.  They are added to the score table and highlighted in red in the teams chart.  If I have missed anyone please post it below.  Thanks! 

Ryan O'Neal is a hit for me.

I'm off and running with Torben Ulrich (once the requisite QO appears).

@Wormfarmer I was about to post that I'd got a tac with Glynis but on checking the rules (to confirm the correct terminology!) I noticed that you'd spotted it and edited your previous post , but that doesn't bring the topic back up the list in the forum - would you mind making a new post as well when you do an update?

On 06/01/2024 at 03:49, BuffaloPhil said:

@Wormfarmer I was about to post that I'd got a tac with Glynis but on checking the rules (to confirm the correct terminology!) I noticed that you'd spotted it and edited your previous post , but that doesn't bring the topic back up the list in the forum - would you mind making a new post as well when you do an update?

I have been a visitor to this site for many years now but never understood how that works.  More posts = earlier listing on the home page?  Even one post can bring it up to the first page, maybe?  

I will try to remember to add a post when I update, and thanks for the enlightenment.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wormfarmer said:

I have been a visitor to this site for many years now but never understood how that works.  More posts = earlier listing on the home page?  Even one post can bring it up to the first page, maybe?  

I will try to remember to add a post when I update, and thanks for the enlightenment.  

Yep all the topics in the forum are listed in the order of the most recent posts. So this post will bump this thread to the top of the forum (which will probably annoy someone as it's not an update :D)