RoverAndOut

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 3

Blimey! What a couple of days! This is going to take a bit of time...

First, some housekeeping, I never posted an update about the removal of the legendary Dick Campbell from Arbroath, who resigned on November 25th after a Scottish FA Cup loss to League 2 Spartans. Campbell took them from the brink of relegation from the football league to the brink of promotion to the Scottish Premier in 7 years. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67534081 This was a unique hit for @diego, his 6th hit in the game.

Last weekend, the return of football from the international break saw 2 changes of manager, with Derek Adams leaving Morecambe and Mark Bonner leaving Cambridge. Scot Adams was poached by Ross County to replace Malky Mackay, who was sacked a fortnight earlier and leaves Morecambe 9th in League Two after relegation last season. It is Adams's 3rd spell as Ross County boss, so what could possibly go wrong?! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67470726 His resignation was a unique hit for @Commtech Sio Bibble, giving him a third hit! Mark Bonner, meanwhile, was sacked by Cambridge after a 3-0 home defeat to Lincoln left them 18th in the table. He signed a new "long-term" contract in September, so good payday at least! He'd been in charge for 4 years. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67564799 This gave @maryportfuncity his 4th hit in the game, and another unique!

Now onto the chaos of the past weekend, as we enter panic season, where clubs try to act to give themselves half a season (and a transfer window) to get themselves out of trouble or into the promotion mix depending on their circumstances. 4 sackings in 24 hours have ensued! First up last night was Michael Duff, who was sacked by Swansea after 6 months in charge following a draw at the weekend with Huddersfield. They are 18th in the Championship and have just 1 win in their last 8 games. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67618235 His removal was a unique hit for @MariNisia, their 4th hit in the game!

Then, late last night, Sunderland surprisingly parted company with Tony Mowbray. This comes despite them being 9th in the Championship and just 3 points off the play offs, which they reached last season in Mowbray's first campaign in charge. They have only won 2 of their last 9 matches, however, and clearly the board have panicked. This does not seem to have been universally welcomed by Sunderland fans. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67621150 This was yet another unique hit and a second of this update for Commtech Bibble, giving him a 4th hit of the game and moving him off the bottom of the pack!

It appeared that the first sacking of this week was going to come at Bramall Lane, with Paul Heckingbottom looking set to pay the ultimate price for their humiliating 5-0 defeat against fellow promoted strugglers Burnley on Saturday. This news, however, took 24 hours to be confirmed, with Heckingbottom immediately being replaced by former Blades boss Chris Wilder (who himself was sacked when Sheffield United were heading for relegation 4 seasons ago!). The merry-go-round continues apace! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67622537 This news was not entirely unexpected this season in this game and provides the only multiple hit of this update, with 5 players scoring a hit with Heckingbottom's dismissal. So that's a 5th hit for both MariNisia and @Great Uncle Bulgaria, a 6th hit for @Bibliogryphon, a 7th hit for Yours Truly (@RoverAndOut) and an 8th hit for @wannamaker!

Finally, Mitch Brundle has today been dismissed by Dover Athletic in the National League South. Interesting parallels with Heckingbottom, with Dover second bottom of the league, 3 points above Havant & Waterlooville, who beat them on Saturday 4-3. A defeat to a relegation rival not conducive to keeping your job it seems! It was a day after Brundle's 29th birthday, and I can't decide whether that's cruel or kind? https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/sport/whites-sack-manager-298069/ GUB's knowledge of non-league football earns him a second hit of the day and 6th in total!

Lots of movement in the leaderboard, but @Sly Ronnie still out front!

Scoreboard

Sly Ronnie - 9

Wannamaker - 8

Lady Fiona, Rover and Out, Great Uncle Bulgaria - 7

Diego, Bibliogryphon - 6

MariNisia - 5

Maryportfuncity, Commtech Sio Bibble, - 4

Buffalo Phil - 3

Spare a thought for @BuffaloPhil, who's back in the basement for the time being! He, Ronnie and @ladyfiona are the only ones not to have scored in this update! We've hit 30 hits for the game so far, but nobody has reached the halfway point yet!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Asked about sacking, following a serious tanking last night, Steve - Nottingham Forest - Cooper says he doesn't think like that. Has anyone told him we fucking do?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67645846

It felt like he was under pressure at the weekend and when I saw last night's result I thought it was curtains, but it seems he's getting a stay of execution. The fans seem split but the owner likes to sharpen his axe - he also owns Olympiakos and sacked their boss this week! Time's running out for Steve, which could be good news for 4 players in this game (alas, not me or you though, Maryport!).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

It felt like he was under pressure at the weekend and when I saw last night's result I thought it was curtains, but it seems he's getting a stay of execution. The fans seem split but the owner likes to sharpen his axe - he also owns Olympiakos and sacked their boss this week! Time's running out for Steve, which could be good news for 4 players in this game (alas, not me or you though, Maryport!).

Long given up on this because I got the basic strategy - pack the sqaud with managers of teams I consider promoted beyond their safety levels - wrong. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Long given up on this because I got the basic strategy - pack the sqaud with managers of teams I consider promoted beyond their safety levels - wrong. 

Right there with you - no way Maresca's failing at Leicester, McKenna's doing stupidly well at Ipswich, Plymouth will stick by Schumacher I think (they may stay up too!). So many of the ones who've gone should have been obvious - after reaching the play offs last season, it wasn't going to take much for Sunderland to dispense with Tony Mowbray if returning there this season seemed unlikely. :facepalm:

• Like 1

So far there has only been one scalp in the Premiership which has hampered my team. I will admit I have been lucky with the lower league picks who were almost done at random. I knew the expectation of the Relegated Teams into the Championship would be huge but so far they have all held up well so far. However The Championship is ridiculously close and the competition for play-off places will be very strong

On 05/12/2023 at 20:35, RoverAndOut said:

Diego, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Bibliogryphon - 6

fwiw I should be on 7 (I had 5 going into last update, then scored with Heckingbottom and Brundle).

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

fwiw I should be on 7 (I had 5 going into last update, then scored with Heckingbottom and Brundle).

And I thought I'd checked it! :facepalm: I blame Brundle's last minute addition! Updated, thanks.

• Like 2

This one completely passed me by at the weekend! So thanks @justonecornetto for the notification! Yes, Alex Neil pays the price for Stoke's recent poor run that has seen them slip to 20th in the Championship, losing 1-0 at home to lowly Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday. He joined Stoke 20 months ago, leaving Sunderland, who hired Tony Mowbray and finished 6th, while Stoke ended the season under Neil 16th. Both managers have been sacked in recent weeks and Mowbray is on the list of favourites to take over from Neil at Stoke! And so the merry-go-round continues! Anyway, his dismissal was a unique hit for @Commtech Sio Bibble, earning him his 5th hit in the game, putting him at 25% completion! Sly Ronnie still out front for now, although he hasn't scored a hit now for more than 6 weeks - his last score was at the end of October! Hope for the rest of us.

Updated Scoreboard

Sly Ronnie - 9

Wannamaker - 8

Lady Fiona, Rover and Out, Great Uncle Bulgaria - 7

Diego, Bibliogryphon - 6

MariNisia, Commtech Sio Bibble - 5

Maryportfuncity - 4

Buffalo Phil - 3 

• Like 2

Another one has gone under the radar that I've spotted tonight! Burton Albion manager "Dino Maamria has been relieved of his first team duties with immediate effect." That was the extent of the statement - those 13 words. Not so much as a "thank you and goodbye". https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67672385 They lost 2-1 to Stevenage on Saturday, which leaves them 2 places and 4 points clear of the relegation zone in League 1. His loss is @ladyfiona's gain, as she was the only one to have him in this game! This is her 8th hit and puts her in joint-2nd and just one behind leader Sly Ronnie!

Updated Scoreboard

Sly Ronnie - 9

Wannamaker, Lady Fiona - 8

Rover and Out, Great Uncle Bulgaria - 7

Diego, Bibliogryphon - 6

MariNisia, Commtech Sio Bibble - 5

Maryportfuncity - 4

Buffalo Phil - 3 

• Like 2

Steve Cooper is trending on Twitter with most NFFC fans thanking him for what he has achieved over the past two years. They seem to know which way this is going.

He hasn't been selected in this game, but for the record, Matt Gray* was sacked by Sutton Utd earlier today.

*Coincidentally, also the colour of my hallway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

BBC Confirm Steve Cooper is out at Forest

Some people have no gratitude

However, a desperately needed point for me

I thought he'd kick on after their survival last season, but alas.

• Like 1

Yes, this is one I'm kicking myself over because for all the good work Steve Cooper did last season, it wasn't going to take much for the hierarchy to pull the trigger, although it seems the Forest fans aren't too happy. Anyway, Steve Cooper pays the price for a poor start to the season that sees Forest 17th in the table and 5 points clear of the drop zone. They have lost 5 of their last 6 matches and won just one of the past 13. Former Wolves and Tottenham boss Nuno Espirito Santo is apparently in talks to replace him. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67766124

This is a big one in this game, as Cooper was in 4 people's teams. So this is a 6th hit for @MariNisia, a 7th hit for @Bibliogryphon and - excitingly - a 9th hit for both @wannamaker and also for self confessed novice @ladyfiona! This puts them level with frontrunner Sly Ronnie and the trio now have a 2 hit lead over the rest - but still nobody has hit the halfway mark!

Updated Scoreboard

Sly Ronnie, Wannamaker, Lady Fiona - 9

Rover and Out, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Bibliogryphon - 7

Diego, MariNisia - 6

Commtech Sio Bibble - 5

Maryportfuncity - 4

Buffalo Phil - 3 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Couple of other tidbits to keep in mind

Roy Hodgson has suggested he will not stay at Crystal Palace beyond the end of the season and Steve Schumacher (Plymouth) has been linked with the vacancy at Stoke City

Has he not learned from Alex Neil, who walked away from Sunderland to manage Stoke and ended up finishing 16th, while his former team finished 6th? Accepted, Stoke are probably a more established Championship prospect than Plymouth, but there's not a huge amount in it at the moment.

• Like 1

I'm honestly surprised i'm doing so well. I just based it on how long a manager had been managing a club on Wikipedia and if I felt their time was up.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, time said:

He hasn't been selected in this game, but for the record, Matt Gray* was sacked by Sutton Utd earlier today.

*Coincidentally, also the colour of my hallway.

Harsh, mind

Got them promoted from the National League, lost a hard fought EFL Trophy final at Wembley and missed out on the play-offs by a single point in his first league season. Main problem there - IMHO - is they're so small time they don't have the luxury of building a new team whilst the old ones play themselves out. Despite the dire situation and the 8-0 tanking last time out he leaves his first managerial job with almost 40% win record, doubtless employable somewhere else fairly soon.

• Like 1

Another curveball thrown in this afternoon! In a quick turnaround, the most environmentally friendly club in the EFL have recycled their manager in double-quick time, announcing they are parting ways with boss David Horseman by mutual consent and replacing him almost immediately with player-coach and former Watford legend Troy Deeney. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67772735 Horseman had only been in charge for 5 months and goes following their 3-0 defeat to Blackpool in the Second Round of the FA Cup last night. The fact their 23rd in League Two and 5 points from safety probably didn't help either. It is Deeney's first job in management. Brave!

Horseman was on 4 players' teams, so it's a hit for @Great Uncle Bulgaria, @maryportfuncity, me - @RoverAndOut and - wait for it - @BuffaloPhil! It puts me and GUB one behind the front 3 and moves Buffalo Phil onto 4 hits, level with Maryport...who immediately moves himself up to 5 hits and leaves Phil still bottom! But only 16 more to go, Phil! ;)

Updated Scoreboard

Sly Ronnie, Wannamaker, Lady Fiona - 9

Rover and Out, Great Uncle Bulgaria - 8

Bibliogryphon - 7

Diego, MariNisia - 6

Commtech Sio Bibble, Maryportfuncity - 5

Buffalo Phil - 4

• Like 2