Sign in to follow this  
Wormfarmer

ABC Deadpool VII: 2023-24 Season

Here's my team, hope it's all right. Good luck to everyone and thanks Wormfarmer for hosting.

ABC Pool

A - Jenny Appleford - if not accepted: Andrea Gibson

B - Rob Burrow

C - Graham Caveney

D - Joe Doering

E - Amy Ettinger

F - Frank Field

G - Roland Griffiths

H - Rick "Black Bart" Harris

I - Jonnie Irwin

J - Johnny Ruffo

K - Kirsty Smitten - if not accepted: Bob Knight

L - Jeanette Lee

M - Dikembe Mutombo

N - Linda Nolan

O - Seiji Ozawa

P - John Pender

Q - Qapik Attagutsiak

R - Ruschell Boone

S - Steve McMichael

T - Michael Tilson Thomas

U - Yosh Uchida

V - Paul Vachon

W - James Whale

X - Xaviera Hollander

Y - Cale Yarborough

Z - Zoleka Mandela

• Like 2

I sent a team

2 minutes ago, diego said:

I sent a team

Well, we know one list that won't have Jimmy Carter on it :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Well, we know one list that won't have Jimmy Carter on it :D

This time I had to include it,:lol::lol:

• Like 1

My list is on first page here (I submitted it a few days ago).

• Like 1

Sent a team yesterday, hope you got it.

OK, entries are closed.  I have to sort through my message folder but I think we got a similar number of entries as last year, maybe more.  Please give me a couple of weeks to organize and post the teams, and sort out any subs and other issues to get the teams in order.  

My team was sent to Bibliogryphon before the deadline, and I shall post it here as well prior to getting all the teams posted on page one of the thread.  No hits for me yet.  I am working on the rosters . . . . 

bud anderson (WW2ace)
barbara barrie
jimmy carter
derek draper
carl erskine
frank field
lloyd geering
roy haynes
paul ignatius
abe jacobs (wrestler)
ramzan kadyrov
phyllis latour
morton mintz  
linda nolan
maria oggay (tattoos)
priscilla pointer
marita camacho quiros
rachel robinson
june spencer
eric tweedale
ian underwood
dick van dyke
woody woodbury 
xaviera hollander
arnold yarrow
khaleda zia
  • Like 2

On 30/08/2023 at 08:05, Toast said:

Team sent.

They probably won't die, but five of them have all 5 vowels, and two of those have a Y as well! Although I don't think there's an extra bonus for the latter.

I guess I have not worded this bonus well, which is not a new bonus but has perhaps been longer misunderstood.  There is no bonus for submitting (and hitting) a name with 5 different vowels in it.  To score the bonus(es), you have to hit all your names at the vowels, A-E-I-O and U.  OR any 4 of those names, and your name at the Y spot as well, for the lessor bonus.  Sorry for any confusion.  Polar Duck also had this confusion, but I assumed he was the only one.  

• Shocked 1

9 hours ago, Wormfarmer said:

I guess I have not worded this bonus well, which is not a new bonus but has perhaps been longer misunderstood.  There is no bonus for submitting (and hitting) a name with 5 different vowels in it.  To score the bonus(es), you have to hit all your names at the vowels, A-E-I-O and U.  OR any 4 of those names, and your name at the Y spot as well, for the lessor bonus.  Sorry for any confusion.  Polar Duck also had this confusion, but I assumed he was the only one.  

I don't understand.  Are you saying that it's a case of scoring with names that begin with each of the vowels? 

It seemed clear to me that you meant individual picks, as names that include all the vowels are uncommon. 

Surely that's better, as it gives people a chance to score the bonus more than once.

"Vowel Movement Bonus (VMB): hit all five vowels (A, E, I, O, U) = 5 points /hit any four vowels + the letter Y = 3 points"

Not very happy about this as it was the reason I chose some of my picks, this time and last time. :angry2:

I assumed it was your A pick, your E pick, and so on. But tbf I screwed up my subs last year when Nichelle Nichols died on deadline day, so my sympathies.

2 hours ago, msc said:

I assumed it was your A pick, your E pick, and so on. But tbf I screwed up my subs last year when Nichelle Nichols died on deadline day, so my sympathies.

This is correct!  You can only score the vowel bonus once, if you hit the FIVE names on your list at all the vowel spots.  If you only hit four of those names, but also hit the Y (which is considered the sixth vowel where I went to school (nymph, tryst, shyly, rhythm, etc)) you earn the lessor 3 point bonus.  This is not an easy bonus, as nobody has done it yet.  If you have searched for included names because they had all the vowels in them, my apologies.  Did anyone do this and hit one last year?  I didn't award any bonuses if they did.  Polar Duck did not pose the question until a couple of weeks ago.  In my defense, as I read the description in the rules I still feel it is pretty clear what is meant by hitting all 5 vowels, AEIOU.  If the rule said, you get 5 points for hitting the G and P, I don't think I would be looking for names containing G and P.  

As a remedy, I will reluctantly award a 3 pt bonus to anyone who hits a vowel loaded name that was included specifically to earn this bonus.  But you must bring it to my attention and I will award it only one time per list since most did not misinterpret the bonus.  We shall see if it has any relevance to the outcome in the game.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Toast said:

I don't understand.  Are you saying that it's a case of scoring with names that begin with each of the vowels? 

It seemed clear to me that you meant individual picks, as names that include all the vowels are uncommon. 

Surely that's better, as it gives people a chance to score the bonus more than once.

"Vowel Movement Bonus (VMB): hit all five vowels (A, E, I, O, U) = 5 points /hit any four vowels + the letter Y = 3 points"

Not very happy about this as it was the reason I chose some of my picks, this time and last time. :angry2:

Yes, your top statement is exactly right.  One time is enough, as it may be enough to give someone the win!   5 points is a large bonus in this game, when many hits are only worth 1 or 2 points.  

See above post for more detail.

Well,  that's made it a lot less interesting to me. :(

1 hour ago, Wormfarmer said:

As a remedy, I will reluctantly award a 3 pt bonus to anyone who hits a vowel loaded name that was included specifically to earn this bonus

Thank you. I gnashed my teeth as I deliberately chose two supervocalic names aiming for that bonus, mused how I could have misparsed the bonus, and saw that "hit...all five vowels..." would have been more clear to me as "hits of five names [A,E,I,O,U]..."  Hit is a verb, as used in the bonus description, but commonly it is also a singular noun on these forums.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

24 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

Thank you. I gnashed my teeth as I deliberately chose two supervocalic names aiming for that bonus, mused how I could have misparsed the bonus, and saw that "hit...all five vowels..." would have been more clear to me as "hits of five names [A,E,I,O,U]..."  Hit is a verb, as used in the bonus description, but commonly it is also a singular noun on these forums.

You've got a pick with 4 vowels plus Y as well.

On 04/09/2023 at 03:26, Wormfarmer said:

image.thumb.jpeg.1df67ade55018878638aaa5d50c98ea1.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 21/09/2023 at 20:31, Octopus of Odstock said:

Just a question, why is Anna Chickadee Cardwell banned? 

I didn't see anything about FFBI on this DP?

Having looked up Miss Cardwell she's been in at least sixty episodes of what sounds like horrific TV shows. So as the ffbi bar pioneer she'd have qualified for the Cup and the DDP when I cohosted. Sympathies if you miss out here.

Now where did I put a pen and paper to take a note of the name... ;)

• Like 1