msc

The 2024 Crowdsourced Deathlist

Where the fuck has 2022 2023 gone to?  Apparently it's the 1st November  5th November already, so time to set in motion another Crowdsourced Deathlist. The 2022 3 version looks set to finish ahead level with the official Deathlist (though they lacked the help of Gary Burgess actually all the 2023 TCD picks were vaguely sensible).

Hey, no one is ever going to know that was copy and pasted from last years thread. Job done. 

2023's list saw a number of familiar faces exit, pursued by a bear, from George Alagiah to Rolf Harris, Topol to the Unabomber. So let's see how the class of 2024 do.

Will the 2024 edition be able to top our current list? We will see, but for the time being let's go over the rules, shall we?

THE RULES

Rules

1. Please send a list of celebrities you wish to vote for to msc, during the time period of 5th November to the 31st December 2023. The list must have a minimum of 12 names on it, and a maximum of 50. Yes, this means we are open now, as I'll just forget to officially open it otherwise. This has happened on multiple occasions...

Please send them by either PM or via Shadow List thread, not by email, semaphore, Morse code, Deathlist live chat, animated corpses, text messages, or any other means of communication you can think of. And you may only submit via 1 of those two methods above, NOT BOTH METHODS! 

2. Your 1st choice will gain 50 points, 2nd 49, etc etc to 50th which will gain 1 point. This is true even if you only send in 12 names, or 13 names, or 49 names. 

3. When the deadline passes, all of the points that an individual celebrity gain will be added together, and the top fifty celebrities with the most points overall will go on the Utterly Unofficial Forum List.

4. Feel free to add substitutes at the bottom of the list, which will only be counted if one of your fifty die before January 1st 2024. If for example your number one pick is such a smart one they die before January 1st, then I will give 50 points to your 2nd pick, and so on until 1 point is given to the first substitute.

4b) Anyone who wishes to avoid a Pope Benny the Fuckwit Meltdown and just says "oh put my subs in at the number of the person who died" gets 10 post likes from diego. 

5. Do try to make the picks as "Deathlisty" as possible. More Buffy Sainte-Marie, less Chickadee, if you know what I mean. Someone likely to score an obit with one of the major English language news outlets.

6. The deadline for sending in entries is 31st December 2023 at 9 pm GMT. That's 4pm New York Time (31st December) and 8am (1st Jan) Melbourne time to help out non-Brits. This earlier deadline is so there's enough time to complete the list before the new year as well as enjoying some extra time off as well. I am keeping Joey's earlier cut off time for simplicity because did you see what that bloody ex-Pope did? Chaos everywhere.

7. This is essentially a forum game without a winner. It does however put the long held notion by some that the combined minds of the forum know better than the Committee to the test.

8. Who picked whom will remain anonymous. Unless the person announces it of course.

9. The paranoid probably shouldn't send in their DDP unique hopefuls. Whilst I do not intend to steal them away, it would make no sense: if the person then showed up on the list, their chances of being unique would be very slim indeed! 

9b. If you do wish to send your DDP unique hopefuls, I won't complain!

10. To keep to the Deathlist spirit, only the top 25 ranked celebrities from the current list of Crowdsourced Deathlist 2023 survivors will be used: Jimmy Carter, Henry Kissinger, Joanne Woodward, Glynis Johns, Roberta Flack, James Whale, Frank Field, Rosalynn Carter, Jonnie Irwin, Linda Nolan, Eva Marie Saint, June Spencer, Dick van Dyke, Ruth Buzzi, Nigel Starmer Smith, Andy Taylor, Mel Brooks, Yoko Ono, Sandra Day O'Connor, Jean Marie le Pen, Rob Burrow, Shannen Doherty, Norman Tebbit, Jacques Delors, David Attenborough, Noam Chomsky, Marianne Faithfull, Sonny Rollins, Stanley Baxter, Randy Jackson, Norman Lear, James Earl Jones, Francoise Hardy, James Watson, Vera Miles, the Duke of Kent and David Graham.

As usual, this is something for me to worry about, not you. 

ie:

10a) Our actual collated list will stick to the "25 from the previous year" rule.

10b) As a result, if our top fifty, after all votes have been counted, has more than twenty-five of the 2023 survivors (named for ease in Rule 10), then the lowest ranked excess survivors will be axed from the list in favour of The Fifty-First ranked celebrity and so on...

10c) Since we don't know if that'll be an issue until I actually do the counting, voters don't need to worry about limiting their personal lists to 25 survivors. It'd be nice if they did, but that's life.

11) Please pick living people. Folk do die before 1st January, but there were a few cases of people dead for a number of years chosen last time. Please do not pick animals, or ISIS prisoners, or kids, or any of the usual no go areas.

12) The Deathray Rule. If Deathers is reading this, he is more than welcome to find some way to get his usual 50 points for that bloody weatherman in! If that bloody weatherman doesn't get his formerly traditional 50 from a mystery person (ie, not you, TQR) then this rule will be retired in 12 months time.

Anyhow, enjoy. Or not.

800px-Esther_Rantzen_-_Queen_Elizabeth_II_Platinum_Jubilee_2022_-_Platinum_Pageant_(52123378342).jpg

Will Esther still be telling us That's Life in 2024?

• Like 10

Official list will go here

1.       Jimmy Carter 1704 (9th, 1st)

2.       Joanne Woodward 1333 (7th, 6th)

3.       Glynis Johns 1230 (8th, 7th)

4.       Esther Rantzen 1155 (NEW)

5.       Noam Chomsky 1051 (3rd, 37th)

6.       Roberta Flack 951 (2nd, 8th)

7.       Shannen Doherty 864 (4th, 32nd)

8.       Linda Nolan 846 (5th, 16th)

9.       Frank Field 846 (3rd, 10th)

10.   Jonnie Irwin 816 (2nd, 15th)

11.   Eva Marie Saint 799 (4th, 17th)

12.   James Whale 763 (4th, 9th)

13.   June Spencer 703 (3rd, 18th)

14.   Jean Marie Le Pen 673 (2nd, 30th)

15.   Dick van Dyke 655 (3rd, 19th)

16.   Nigel Starmer Smith 651 (2nd, 21st)

17.   David Attenborough 651 (2nd, 36th)

18.   Imelda Marcos 611 (2nd, -)

19.   Rob Burrow 598 (2nd, 31st)

20.   Alan Greenspan 546 (NEW)

21.   David Graham 522 (3rd, 50th)

22.   Yoko Ono 520 (5th, 27th)

23.   Sonny Rollins 508 (2nd, 40th)

24.   Mel Brooks 500 (2nd, 23rd)

25.   Franz Beckenbauer 499 (NEW)

26.   Bruce Willis 494 (NEW)

27.   Steve McMichael 490 (NEW)

28.   Toby Keith 485 (NEW)

29.   Pope Francis 480 (NEW)

30.   Dennis Skinner 479 (NEW)

31.   Stanley Baxter 475 (2nd, 41st)

32.   Norman Tebbit 472 (3rd, 34th)

33.   Ethel Kennedy 464 (NEW)

34.   Bob Newhart 452 (2nd, -)

35.   Francoise Hardy 431 (3rd, 46th)

36.   Violeta Chamorro 428 (2nd, -)

37.   William Russell 422 (NEW)

38.   Cleo Laine 385 (NEW)

39.   Patrick Murray 371 (NEW)

40.   Vanessa Redgrave 361 (NEW)

41.   Douglas Hurd 355 (2nd, -)

42.   Isabel Peron 353 (NEW)

43.   Vera Miles 354 (2nd, 48th)

44.   Jim Lovell 344 (NEW)

45.   Denis Law 336 (NEW)

46.   Patricia Routledge 327 (NEW)

47.   Tom Baker 311 (NEW)

48.   Michael Tilson Thomas 310 (NEW)

49.   Julie Goodyear 304 (NEW)

50.   Tom Lehrer 296 (NEW)

230929-jimmy-carter-al-1220-97bad7.jpg

Surely oor Jimmy's not making it on yet another Crowdsourced list?

• Thanks 1

Crowdsource Form Guide 1:

Tomasz Schafernaker

image.jpeg.d00b200f598e044a78855db7c85f6505.jpeg

...As is tradition.

If you want a different Tom for the list...

Crowdsource Form Guide 2:

Tom Lehrer

image.jpeg.5e2c6b4bb9239971983d84d01c161856.jpeg

Turning 96 in April and known for his reclusiveness... Weird Al once referred to him as "the JD Salinger of demented music".

• Like 1

Crowdsource Form Guide 3:

Screenshot_20230917_190055_org.wikipedia_edit_45435508362337.jpg

Indarjit Singh

Baron Singh of Wimbledon is a famous British figure turning 92 next year. He is bound to QO due to his prominence as a pioneering Sikh faith leader, the first Sikh in the House of Lords to wear a turban, and journalist for some qualifying sources, such as the Times and the Guardian. He presented Charles III with the Coronation glove back in May and appeared in an unwell state then. I think he may warrant consideration for the Crowdsourced DeathList 2024. 

Crowdsource Form Guide #4

chamoro.thumb.png.16c99018100fca68fccde674e7678441.png

Violeta Chamorro

The former Nicaraguan President is now 94 years old and has long suffered from brain tumors, advanced dementia and has for the last year or two been in 24/7 care in a "delicate but stable" state. Might be a time for her to make a return on the Crowdsourced Deathlist (if the voters of the Deathlist forums so decide).

• Like 3

Crowdsource Form Guide #5

old_woman3.jpg?w=144

SCP 679438 aka Ruth Langfords mom

Object class: Euclid 

Not much is known about this terrifying SCP. Sources from the SCP foundation this entity is possibly more than 4,000 thousand years old. This SCP looks like a typical SCP bit researchers believe this SCP's extreme old age is possible because it sustains itself on the virality of younger men. In villages where SCP 679438 have been spotted in there's been numerous suspicious deaths of young men in that time frame. Each victim was found looking 50 years older and every single one died from a shattered pelvis. SCP 679438 can only be monitored by female agents after an incident in 2016 that lead to the death of 2 researchers.

• Haha 9

Crowdsource Form Guide #6

image.thumb.png.b185362ce9adf2a6f4566206bb6f2adb.png

BongBong Langford Marcos Mom  

Imelda Marcos

Fat,confined to wheelchair,turns 95.  Missed her son's Presidential address over the summer. Unlikely to see 2025

• Haha 3

May I recommend 94 year old American actress Vera Miles? As one of Alfred Hitchcocks  former leading ladies-a 'Hitchcock blonde ' and a star from the golden age of Hollywood, her qualifying obituary potential is beyond doubt. 

• Like 2

6 lists in. Plenty of time, 3 weeks to go. Currently there's someone younger than me in the top ten...

29 minutes ago, msc said:

6 lists in. Plenty of time, 3 weeks to go. Currently there's someone younger than me in the top ten...

Assuming it’s who I think it is I hadn’t thought of them as deathlisty but arguably they are - quite well known in the UK now. 

10 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Assuming it’s who I think it is I hadn’t thought of them as deathlisty but arguably they are - quite well known in the UK now. 

I think Kylian Mbappe is well known everywhere besides America/Canada

• Like 1

13 hours ago, msc said:

Currently there's someone younger than me in the top ten...

Jimmy Carter?

• Haha 10

Let's pick an "old-as-fuck Japanese person who you can feel as cultured for having heard of and feeling they're famous enough for a DL" to mass vote for. Yayoi "50 years in the loony bin" Kusama or Jiro "50 dollars for some fish" Ono, which one?

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 03:07, DeathByArsenic said:

I think Kylian Mbappe is well known everywhere besides America/Canada

what happened with Mbappe, did I miss something

Crowdsource Form Guide #7 ? #~7/8/9/10? #112?

faujafrauda.png.ce53a4060895592210f71a42c1e61842.png

"Frauda" Fauja Singh

One of history's greatest monsters (outdone only by Jimmy Carter, DJ's who play Last Christmas by Wham! this time of the year and that one tv presenter's mom) Fauja is somewhere between 95 and 1115 years of age. Unless he's secretly an immortal jellyfish, one day he's going to be on the "Deaths in 202x" page instead of a 30-something footballer.

14 days left to get a list in.

• Like 2

I would like to suggest  an array of British Soap Queens. 

The first Coronation Street legend  Julie Goodyear who is now sadly suffering from  dementia. 

Secondly  Crossroads leading lady  Jane Rossington who is also sadly now stricken with dementia and in a care home. 

91 year old retired  Corrie stalwart  Eileen Derbyshire who played Emily Bishop.

And last but by no means least EastEnders legend  Pam St Clement who played the iconic Pat Butcher.  Rumour has it she is rather poor health. 

I doubt the  committee  for the Official DeathList would go for all 4, although I'd be shocked if they didn't go far Julie Goodyear,  so I feel the Shadowlist would have the edge if it did go for all 4.

Here is my list!

Thanks for running this phenomenon again  @msc

i will try to stay on couse with being as deathlisty as possible whilst throwing in a splash of Crumble individuality!

Christina Crawford 

Vera Miles 

Ken Waters

Rosie Gaines 

Jane Rossington 

Alex Ferguson 

Pam St Clement 

Roy Chubby Brown 

Norma Major 

Clarence Thomas 

Roy Hattersley 

Sophia Loren 

John Prescott 

George Carey 

Robert Redford 

Princess Alexandra 

Julie Goodyear 

Julie Andrews 

Linda Ronstadt 

Ron Ely 

Jess Conrad 

Queen Paola of Belgium 

Shannen Doherty 

Liza Minnelli 

James D Watson 

The Duke of Kent 

Eileen Derbyshire 

Joni Mitchell 

The Dalai Lama 

Ethel Kennedy 

Nigel Starmer Smith 

Alan Greenspan 

Michael Aspel 

Clint Eastwood 

Douglas Hurd 

Pope Francis 

Sirikit Thai Queen Mother 

Dennis Skinner 

Joanne Woodward 

Frank Field 

James Whale 

Noam Chomsky 

Denis Law 

Imelda Marcos 

Roberta Flack 

Bernadette Chirac 

Jacques Delors 

Yoko Ono 

Linda Nolan 

Eva Marie Saint 

Subs 

Sonia Gandhi 

Leo Scullion 

Queen Margrethe of Denmark 

Salman Rushdie 

Cheers

• Like 3

Jacques Delors is the first pre-game faller, he was in 18th place when he died.

3 days to go.

• Like 5

1)Jimmy Carter 2)Esther Rantzen 3) Frank Field 4) Joanne Woodward 5)James Whale 6) Glynis Johns 7)Ray Anthony 8)June Spencer 9) Linda Nolan 10) Roberta Flack 11)Stanley Baxter 12) Rob Burrow 13) Françoise Hardy 14)Noam Chomsky 15) Jean Marie Le Pen 16) Dick Van Dyke 17) Pete Murray 18) Eva Marie Saint 19) Alan Greenspan 20)Patrick Murray 21) Nigel Starmer-Smith 22) Sonny Rollins 23)Mel Brooks 24) David Attenborough 25)Cleo Laine 26)Joan Plowright 27) Ethel Kennedy 28) Patricia Routledge 29)Dr Ruth Westheimer 30)Douglas Hurd 31) Sandy Gall 32) Tom Baker 33) Marianne Faithful 34) Prince Edward Duke of Kent 35) Rupert Murdoch 36) Ted Turner 37)Jack Hanna 38)James Carter Cathcart 39) Jonnie Irwin 40) Michael Caine 41)Norman Tebbit 42) Gudrun Ure 43) William Russell 44) David Graham 45) Dennis Skinner 46)Thomas P Stafford 47)Bruce Willis 48)Toby Keith 49)Mario Zagallo 50)Sidney Cooke

And we're shut for entrants. I need to tot up the last few lists but it looks like we will need a few DQs this year. 

• Like 1

DROPS

Ruth Buzzi, Duke of Kent, Andy Taylor, Marianne Faithful, Randy Jackson

DQ’D (due to only 25 names from 2023 carrying over)
James Watson, James Earl Jones

NEAR MISSES

Sandy Gall, Brigitte Bardot, Michael Caine, Rupert Murdoch, Albert II, Buzz Aldrin, Prunella Scales, Mahathir Mohamad, Joan Plowright

Full list will be revealed in an hour or so once I've had time to look over the new actual DL.

• Like 6