Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

I would also like to contribute with the pictures if needed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I'm very much surprised that Andy Taylor has managed to not just cling on but only drop from 12th to 19th.

It's very rare someone goes from 100+ picks one year to off Drop 40 the next (barring death obv). Even Wilko Johnson stayed on the Drop 40 one year after his miracle reprieve. The only exception I can think of was Schumacher, but that was a last-minute critical gamble.

1 hour ago, Captain Hemlock said:

It’s always interesting to see which uniques I get and don’t get. I’m amazed that John Okafor aka Mr Ibu is a unique for my B team. The guy has been poisoned many times and may have had one or both legs amputated recently.

It's extremely hard to get uniques these days, without them being just random olds.  Thought Lem Barney might be a unique this year but a few others took him. 

Did get a couple uniques thru, though:

Main team: Tathiana Garbin, Rip Micheals

B-team: Sandy Campbell, Michael Turner, Avalon Young

Golf theme team: Barney Adams, Al Barkow, Doc Giffin, Carl Jackson, David Joy, Verne Lundquist, Jill Thornhill, Bob Toski (joker),

Tiger Woods

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Heh, well, Grim Up North left the committee over a year ago for Banana.

I am leaving the committee now (except, maybe, for some last questions for the transition).

I will hand over the score updates and all matters of database-related issues to our veteran forum member time.

From what I've seen so far, he will be an excellent successor. The DDP will be lucky to have him.

He has already updated a few scores last month and is currently setting up the 2024 game.

Best of luck!

My apologies .I mistakenly thought you had left this year as I recalled seeing a post were you asked for a replacement.I clearly misunderstood.Thank you to you too for your dedication and passionate work and efforts.You have been and are fantastic.

• Like 2

You have Gary Lockwood listed twice on one team’s submission 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hemlock said:

It’s always interesting to see which uniques I get and don’t get. I’m amazed that John Okafor aka Mr Ibu is a unique for my B team. The guy has been poisoned many times and may have had one or both legs amputated recently.

Yes I am the same.I recall a few years back being astonished that Christina Crawford, James Lovelock and the former Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey were all unique picks!

i strive for uniques , as many as possible .Ideally 60 but I dont take shortcuts and I have never had a name rejected by the game runners.By not taking shortcuts I mean I dont just go for lots of young healthy but famous people who are unlikely to be picked eg reality tv stars in order to garner 60 uniques. I wouldnt want to achieve a high level of unique picks by going against the spirit of the game. The handful of young picks I have made there have been a reason for it.Eg Ex Big Brother contestant Charlie Drummond. Young in his 30s yes but had a history of poor and rash decision making and had been to jail for violence.Statistically people who get involved in that part of life are more likely to succumb to premature death via substance misuse or the like. Wont go into all the details but I dont go for young ish picks without a reason .Ditto Scott Madsen  struggling for money and jailed for fraud.

• Like 2

Description here is a nice touch :lol:

915767957_Screenshot2024-01-16at01_48_22.thumb.png.997948c31191b989e47422b31839d026.png

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Ruth langsford mother joan langsford - I warned you she wouldn't count, and one of you didn't listen.

736930216_Screenshot2024-01-16at01_46_51.thumb.png.1296e8182e5a2fa6fa391beb6b7ff8f0.png

• Haha 10
  • Facepalm 1

Who can I pm a few celeb photos and birthdays too?

Well, my first attempt has been semi-successful. The "Who's Dead' list and Scoreboard are (I think) correct but for some reason, the team and celeb updates haven't uploaded correctly. I'll revisit in the morning, its bedtime now!

• Like 4

Arrrgh Delighted but oh so near so far too!!

59 Unique picks!!! Just one of sealing the deal of a complete set! Lorraine Gary, actress from the JAWS film franchise was my undoing!! 

But having said that 59 out of 60 is excellent and it is one up on last year when I got 58 unique picks!

Best of luck everybody!

Just a quick look through has established if Id kept Elspeth Ballantyne I would have had 60 uniques. I was convinced once I used her name and let the cat out of the bag shed never be unique again! Drat lol!

• Like 4

I'd like to volunteer for photos.

• Like 1

Bill Hayes QO

Amalija Knavs QO

• Like 1

To me it’s surprising that Kate Keltie has still been picked for 10 teams. She had a miraculous recovery alongside rumours that she faked/exaggerated her illness.

I wonder if they missed the memo or are still convinced she’ll die?

8 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

It's extremely hard to get uniques these days, without them being just random olds.  Thought Lem Barney might be a unique this year but a few others took him. 

Did get a couple uniques thru, though:

Main team: Tathiana Garbin, Rip Micheals

B-team: Sandy Campbell, Michael Turner, Avalon Young

Golf theme team: Barney Adams, Al Barkow, Doc Giffin, Carl Jackson, David Joy, Verne Lundquist, Jill Thornhill, Bob Toski (joker),

Tiger Woods

I've got a few uniques on the theme team of paedos and alleged paedos, but then they're woefully obscure and some are in rude health

Somewhat amazed I snagged al-Adel Saif (ironically pronounced "safe") as a unique on the main team given that there's clearly been a run on picking terrorist targets known to be wanted by the US this year. 

Oh aye, and... been through both my teams and sent in photos of everyone currently lacking such on the DDP site

As always, incredible effort - I salute your dedication to running this Rolls Royce of dead pooling!

• Like 3

Oh gawd I’m still without proper internet so checking my teams could be an issue. Let’s see.

In advance, DDP Committee continue to have my support, and thanks to all of you who work so hard at this time of year.

My one attempt to get a Unique pick has failed:

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2024/celebs_S.html#schullr024

Rebecca Schull (dob 22/02/1929) actress best known as Fay Cochran on 'Wings', was picked by two other teams.  

She's never appeared in the DDP before and I deliberately never mentioned on posted my picks here even after the submission deadline or anywhere on the forum.  I'd had her in mind as a pick since 2022, when her much younger co-star Farrah Forke died of cancer and did garner a QO.  

My other potential Unique, Denys Graham, as mentioned in the DDP Salvage thread, wouldn't have a happened either - picked by two teams.

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2024/celebs_G.html#grahamd024

Note that one team that thwarted the Schull pick also has Graham.  At least I can say that if a veteran team like Obituarynotice has both those picks that 'great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ'.  

Always next year...

Wonderful work thanks ! Is it normal that both my main theme (La Faucheuse) and my french theme team (A la vie, à la mort) appeared « first year in DDP » Whereas they were there last year, I just changed the names 

Everything looks good afaik. Obviously my Hits Of 36 Years Ago Theme Team needs the sub-heading changed from 1987 to 1988 (my annual issue, lol, every year it’s one later). Hoping to keep my streak going there!

I’ve cursed quite a few to another year of life as usual. Maybe I should have picked Jimmy Carter after all. Ha!

Nice work on the DDP. Judith Sheindlin has a duplicate bio though. Also, Les McCann died before the start of the year.

11 hours ago, TQR said:

Description here is a nice touch :lol:

915767957_Screenshot2024-01-16at01_48_22.thumb.png.997948c31191b989e47422b31839d026.png

Gertrude Langford is one tough woman,,if she see's the year out I would not be surprised.

No uniques in my main team - "Drunkasaskunk"

Nine uniques in my "Desert Island Deaths" team (all picks have been the castaway on BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs) 

Eleven uniques on my Scottish born "Jocks Away" team

• Like 1

I picked Prince Edward Duke of Kent for No More Expenses but I have been put down as picking Prince Edward Duke of Edinburgh.I did put the date of birth and correct title on my form.