Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

My Eastenders theme team has been misspelt as not going in a black club instead of cab so is not showing up as a theme or with any history. 

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

That's me. Sorry. 

Also sorry to @time as we always seem to scupper each other's uniques, this time with George Innes.

What are the chances, eh? Never been picked before and here we are. Great minds and all that!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I'd like to volunteer for photos.

You can have the George Smiths! :P

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Has there been a change in the CMS or likewise involving the number of characters allowed in a description? Noticed Robert Wagner's bio cuts off short and there's definitely another one that I've forgotten already.

EDIT: Judith Chalmers

Whatever it is happened some time ago as that's how they appear in the master file. There are probably a few more affected (Richard Franklin was another).

Surprised only a former member of this forum is the only person to have selected SirJohn Curtice. 

Great work guys, amazing you got this all done in just over 2 weeks,  That has to be a modern-day record.

So my unique hope didn't make it.  Daniel Hersl is my incarcerated pick this year. I am hoping to make it 4 in a row.

2021 - Peter "Wiseguy, brother of John" Gotti

2022 - Russell "Babes in the Woods Killer"  Bishop

2023 - Ted "Unabomber" Kaczynski

On the subject of Hersl.  Try and give the crime drama mini-series "We Own This City" a watch.  It tells the story of the rise and fall of the infamous Baltimore PD's GTTF (Gun Trace Task Force).  Of which Hersl was a major player.

8 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Surprised only a former member of this forum is the only person to have selected SirJohn Curtice. 

Is there any evidence that he's seriously ill?

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Is there any evidence that he's seriously ill?

No but there was discussion on here about him looking rough. 

15 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

He's always been gaunt. He turned 70 last month. It's typical for people to lose weight as they age, especially in their 70s and 80s. My gran was pretty heavy most of her life and she lost a lot of weight in her 70s. She still lived to 90. 

Curtice was on BBC News a few days ago. Looked pretty normal, sounded fine. He could pay off as a unique pick but I seriously doubt it.

I'm more surprised that Glen Campbell wasn't picked! News of his brain cancer was first made public in August 2023 (even if the severity of it wasn't made public until a few days ago).

• Like 4

If John was known to be ill I'd have let you know. He has a habit of forgetting to eat and sleep at a reasonable hour getting too excited about stats and is a Scottish male OAP now. 

Tom Devine is a better shout for aging Scottish academics. The great Owen Dudley Edwards (Irish but lived in Scotland for decades now) is 86 this year but seems in good health still. TC Smout is frail. All three will go before John imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm more surprised that Glen Campbell wasn't picked! News of his brain cancer was first made public in August 2023 (even if the severity of it wasn't made public until a few days ago).

Doesn't Glen Campbell have Alzheimer's?  ;)

• Haha 5

So disappointed about Tu Youyou's entry is so bland and doesn't mention Chucklevision and her sister Tu Meemee

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Curtice has always looked rough.

Probably spends a lot of time with students in the Weatherspoon’s in George Square.,

I wound up with only 1 unique hit on my main team, and was surprised she was unique: Eleonora Giorgi. Maybe there is a little risk of getting a QO, but I think she'll come through.

I am not surprised that my theme team Nearly Dead Kennedys had 2: Philip Glass and Martina Arroyo. Both should be locks for a QO if they pass, but aren't particularly high risk.

I also volunteer to help this year or next year if desired: bios, pics, obits, whatever. I appreciate that this can be a PITA to run for some, and am willing to pitch in.

Going to say this again (if someone from the committee saw it I’m sorry)

I can’t find my main Team: Peter Falk’s Friends. Would I have to send it again because I sent it on the 8th of December but I never received a email confirming my main team is in but my theme team was. What do I have to do?

2 hours ago, Insane said:

Going to say this again (if someone from the committee saw it I’m sorry)

I can’t find my main Team: Peter Falk’s Friends. Would I have to send it again because I sent it on the 8th of December but I never received a email confirming my main team is in but my theme team was. What do I have to do?

I am sure it will be resolved soon.

Am I the only one who don’t get most of the headlines for the hits ? I find them quite far-fetched at times but it maybe because of cultural and verbal distance… « Glynis voted out » ? While something like « Glynis popped out » or « The Sundowner » would have been way more witty and efficient imho

11 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I am sure it will be resolved soon.

I wouldn't bet on it :lol:.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Am I the only one who don’t get most of the headlines for the hits ? I find them quite far-fetched at times but it maybe because of cultural and verbal distance… « Glynis voted out » ? While something like « Glynis popped out » or « The Sundowner » would have been way more witty and efficient imho

Her Mary Poppins character was big on women's voting rights.

• Like 3

Never mind the FFBI ban, terrible pun headlines for every hit is what I'm most proud of, re the DDP. 

Although had I been around in 2023, I'd have learned you just needed to go the whole "DDP Host Is A Ghost" route for hundreds of them!

Since this seems to be the place where we point out mistakes:

My theme-team pick James Thomson should be the renowned cell-biologist, not the child-molester millionaire architect. I'm guessing the latter was already on the data-base as he was described as terminally ill when he was convicted back in 2006. Presumably he is long dead, as he was described as only having a year to live.

This however is my guy:

James Thomson (cell biologist) - Wikipedia

Also Keith Meldrum was born in 1937, not 1905 as stated. 

• Haha 1

Mildly curious find as I tot up the stats for last year - despite 2023 smashing the hits total, no individual month from it makes the top 10 of the "Most hits in a month" statistic. 31 hits are needed to make the top 10, and the closest was February with 30.

• Like 7