Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

4 hours ago, msc said:

Well, the question is:  ARE there sources out there who would provide QOs which are otherwise missing? 

It depends what you mean by missing.

Boston 25 News, Deadline (even just for the name alone !!) Hollywood Reporter, Los Angeles Times, Niagara Gazette, Pensacola News Journal, Rolling Stone, Texas Tribune, The News-Gazette, The Register-Herald, Beckley, W.Va. and vibe have all provided obits for people that have been picked this year. 

If you look at the list of the lost - how do we know they have died?  Because some obscure publication has said so.

But they do not count - not because they are not dead, but possibly because UK Yahoo has not copied and pasted from one of the publications that are NOT allowed. 

For me part of the game is not just identifying who is going to cark it in a particular year but whether they are going to croak AND get a mention in one of the qualifying publications.  When UK (aye, that is a joke!!!) Yahoo copies and pastes an article from the Lhasa Evening Post in Tibet it somehow counts as a QO but the Lhasa Evening Post does not. 

It is called the Derby Deadpool for a reason.

In my humble opinion points being awarded because of QO's from articles copied and pasted from some of the ones I mentioned above detracts from the main ethos of a UK centred game.  Apologies to those from further afield but this is just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Its another one of those 'nobody die' weekends, as I'm away; if someone can keep an eye on things I'll update  when I get back. Ta very much.

• Like 1

Cormack's in (might have to update date of death later). Now I'm going before I miss my train.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Thanks, strange that Edinburgh based The Scotsman picked it up weeks before The Herald as he was born in West of Scotland and played for 2 Glasgow clubs before moving to Sunderland.

Anyway more points for my theme team of Scottish footballers.

• Like 2

Just now, drunkasaskunk said:

Ok, we get it, you don’t like the Yahoo UK rule. Can you end your pointless campaign? It’s already been established that you hold the minority view on this, so it’s unlikely the rule is going to change, no matter how much you scream and shout and stomp your feet.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I would expect full broadsheet obits to be along shortly.

eta: like this one (Guardian, not a broadsheet these days, granted, but not People Magazine either).

• Like 1

Serious question here, do DDP points still depend on the IDF confirming this one,  it's not like there's a shortage of reliable and consistent reports, or a notably gruesome bit of photographic evidence. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cy94zdd0nxlt

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

I honestly thought she died a couple of years back.

I'd not worry about it, your finger is on the pulse compared to mine, I thought she sang 'I will survive'.

• Haha 3

According to her DDP bio, Mitzi Gaynor was the second musical guest on the night The Beatles debuted on the Ed Sullivan Show. I can't find any evidence of this - anyone have any details/link to anything?

17 minutes ago, Sean said:

I honestly thought she died a couple of years back.

Few weeks ago @Death Impends told me Mitzi McCall had died and I said I used to mix her up with Mitzi Gaynor who was also dead only to be corrected.

I was a few weeks early, clearly! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Few weeks ago @Death Impends told me Mitzi McCall had died and I said I used to mix her up with Mitzi Gaynor who was also dead only to be corrected.

I was a few weeks early, clearly! 

Ah, now Mitzi McCall was on the Beatles debut Ed Sullivan show - I wonder if someone got the two Mitzis mixed up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, time said:

Ah, now Mitzi McCall was on the Beatles debut Ed Sullivan show - I wonder if someone got the two Mitzis mixed up.

I was concerned that was actually me again but luckily that DDP bio predates my time doing them. :D

• Haha 1

The Telegraph obituary of Mitzi Gaynor says she was on their second USA television appearance- was that the week after? Their obituary of Mitzi McCall a few weeks ago is all about her being on their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The Telegraph obituary of Mitzi Gaynor says she was on their second USA television appearance- was that the week after? Their obituary of Mitzi McCall a few weeks ago is all about her being on their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. 

Yes, the following week. Gaynor's Wikipedia entry also says the second appearance, 16 February 1964.