Joey Russ

Thoughts On The 2024 List

On 06/09/2024 at 17:03, drol said:

At this point it's quite surely going down as a major disappointment.

Very much so, considering what an explosive start the list had.

13 hours ago, Crash Davis said:

Jim.....

Bruh.....

11 minutes ago, mymango said:

Bruh.....

Do you have to make a public declaration of your arousal every time someone mentions this name?

• Haha 1

At this rate, we can expect 1-2 more hits for the rest of the year. In other words, the worst DeathList of the 21st century to date, and worst since 1993.

The DeathList 2024 is a major disappointment, so many unnecessary misses (Irwin, Field, Hardy, Doherty, Delon, Earl Jones, Fujimori, Graham) despite a fair number of chosen candidates who are inexplicably still with us (Carter, Starmer-Smith, Chomsky, Woodward etc).

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 4

Fujimori's a war criminal who had been exaggerating his health for a decade.Graham is a voice actor so it's east to see why maybe they didn't think he met the fame leve threshold to make the list. And Delon's major health decline wasn't made public until January.    Irwin,Field and Doherty though should have 100% been picked given their health status and fame level's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

At this rate, we can expect 1-2 more hits for the rest of the year. In other words, the worst DeathList of the 21st century to date, and worst since 1993.

The DeathList 2024 is a major disappointment, so many unnecessary misses (Irwin, Field, Hardy, Doherty, Delon, Earl Jones, Fujimori, Graham) despite a fair number of chosen candidates who are inexplicably still with us (Carter, Starmer-Smith, Chomsky, Woodward etc).

Very easy to say when you’re literally the user who proposes 250 names of “must haves” for next year’s list.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Jimmy Carter is a good metaphor for the list. There is not a single fucking reason why the list should not score, exactly as there is not a single rational reason for him to be still alive.

This list risks to be the worst in more than 30 years, and it is not even remotely as bad as it was sometimes. Carter, Chomsky, now even Van Dyke are on the clock. Laine looked horrible last year. Skinner was on his deathbed five years ago. Starmer-Smith was already a cadaver there years ago. Whale and Nolan have had "terminal" cancer forever. Woodward has one of the longest Alzheimer's cases in America. Hackman looked dead last year. Law has been sick for years, yet he is the only elder footballer not to cop it. Rantzen has another alleged terminal cancer. Flack has fucking ALS at 87. Rollins has suffered from years of pulmonary fibrosis.

And even without them, Nelson, Castro, Marcos, Bardot, Le Pen and many others are over 90 and could go at any moment (most of them have also been very sick in the past). Jimmy is just the tip of the iceberg, what's going on is nonsensical.

It was nonsensical in July and it is even more nonsensical now. If you want to see it from another perspective, it's a miracle.

• Like 24

My thoughts almost exactly, @drol.

My own perspective at this point is that it could absolutely have been better (Irwin, Field, Doherty were all misses imo), but at this point it is utterly ridiculous just how long some of these have kept going. I didn't necessarily think it was an especially great list when it was revealed but 4 hits by October is some incredibly bad luck.

• Like 6

I think William Russell, Doherty, and JEJ are the only deaths I'd call misses, in terms of "I think they'd have made the 2025 list had they lived". Field and Irwin were ignored for so long I assume they'd just never pick them for whatever reason. The score with the aforementioned three would still be pretty mediocre, but not as abysmal as it looks at the moment. (I also wanted to see Corman and Gossett on the list, but I didn't really expect them to be picked, so whatever.)

• Like 1

In the three years I have had my own list, this year I have  the potential for the first time to have more hits then the main list, and when I saw the list the beginning of the year I had high hopes the Mainlist was at least going to make it into the mid to high teens in hits.

• Like 1

You know it’s bad when my main DDP team and B team are both beating the deathlist.

Watch us suddenly get like 10+ more hits, between now, and Dec. 31st. :P lol

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, drol said:

Jimmy Carter is a good metaphor for the list. There is not a single fucking reason why the list should not score, exactly as there is not a single rational reason for him to be still alive.

This list risks to be the worst in more than 30 years, and it is not even remotely as bad as it was sometimes. Carter, Chomsky, now even Van Dyke are on the clock. Laine looked horrible last year. Skinner was on his deathbed five years ago. Starmer-Smith was already a cadaver there years ago. Whale and Nolan have had "terminal" cancer forever. Woodward has one of the longest Alzheimer's cases in America. Hackman looked dead last year. Law has been sick for years, yet he is the only elder footballer not to cop it. Rantzen has another alleged terminal cancer. Flack has fucking ALS at 87. Rollins has suffered from years of pulmonary fibrosis.

And even without them, Nelson, Castro, Marcos, Bardot, Le Pen and many others are over 90 and could go at any moment (most of them have also been very sick in the past). Jimmy is just the tip of the iceberg, what's going on is nonsensical.

It was nonsensical in July and it is even more nonsensical now. If you want to see it from another perspective, it's a miracle.

Put them all on the immortal list :D 

• Haha 1

In my opinion some to drop:

James Whale

Julie Walters

Daniel Barenboim

Tom Baker

Buzz Aldrin

Sonny Rollins

Dennis Skinner

Dick Cheney

Sly Stone

Joe Bugner

Linda Nolan

Robert Wagner

Pete Murray

Louis Farrakhan

Robert Duvall

Opinions?

2 minutes ago, Bobytomi said:

Sonny Rollins

Dennis Skinner

no for these two, agree with the others 

• Like 2

The arguments this year about misses have been quite tedious but with the amount of drops the official list is going to have to make come January, I can imagine next year being much worse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bobytomi said:

James Whale

Julie Walters

Daniel Barenboim

Tom Baker

Buzz Aldrin

Sonny Rollins

Dennis Skinner

Dick Cheney

Sly Stone

Joe Bugner

Linda Nolan

Robert Wagner

Pete Murray

Louis Farrakhan

Robert Duvall

Opinions?

Absolutely not agree with Daniel Barenboim, the famous conductor has had many health issues during these past years. These year, he had to cancel some concerts :

https://www.radioclassique.fr/classique/concerts-festivals/daniel-barenboim-renonce-a-nouveau-a-des-concerts-pour-raisons-de-sante/

• Sad 1

Suprised no-one has said "Oh, that's a bad miss!" concerning Clive Everton!

wouldn't mind Angie Dickinson being brought back to the list next year…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The returns I most look forward to are Yoko Ono and David Attenborough (this last will turn 99 in 2025, and remember not everyone who makes it to 99 makes it to 100)

Edited by Bobytomi
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Bobytomi said:

James Whale

Julie Walters

Daniel Barenboim

Tom Baker

Buzz Aldrin

Sonny Rollins

Dennis Skinner

Dick Cheney

Sly Stone

Joe Bugner

Linda Nolan

Robert Wagner

Pete Murray

Louis Farrakhan

Robert Duvall

Opinions?

Those are all good picks to drop, although James Whale is a bit of a legacy pick. I’d keep him on there.

21 hours ago, Bobytomi said:

James Whale

Julie Walters

Daniel Barenboim

Tom Baker

Buzz Aldrin

Sonny Rollins

Dennis Skinner

Dick Cheney

Sly Stone

Joe Bugner

Linda Nolan

Robert Wagner

Pete Murray

Louis Farrakhan

Robert Duvall

Opinions?

I think Pete Murray needs to stay.

20 hours ago, Bobytomi said:

James Whale

Julie Walters

Daniel Barenboim

Tom Baker

Buzz Aldrin

Sonny Rollins

Dennis Skinner

Dick Cheney

Sly Stone

Joe Bugner

Linda Nolan

Robert Wagner

Pete Murray

Louis Farrakhan

Robert Duvall

Opinions?

Personally the only two I consider are safe drops are Julie Walters and Louis Farrakhan. I agree with @msc a few posts above that James Whale and Linda Nolan can't go on forever with terminal cancer. Sonny Rollins "how the hell is he still alive with his pulmonary fibrosis condition?" Tom Baker, Dennis Skinner, Buzz Aldrin, Robert Wagner (COPD), Pete Murray and Robert Duvall are all in their 90s and at this point in their lives a fall or common cold could finish them off. 

• Like 1