Joey Russ

Thoughts On The 2024 List

Wow at Julie Walters and Joe Bugner. Didn’t expect either. 

Surprised how low down Esther Rantzen is. 

Just six returnees this year. Chomsky, Whale and Law as expected, as well as Castro, Redgrave and Farrakhan.

Also, just noticed Akihito isn't back either! Surprising, but probably a good decision.

Bit surprised that Shannen Doherty didn't return.

• Like 8

Excellent list imo. Great to see Glynis Johns make her very long awaited debut. I too think dropping Yoko Ono is a bit of a risk and would definitely would have considered bringing back Douglas Hurd but otherwise this list could achieve mega success!

David Attenborough should have been added !

• Like 3

Quite a few names I've never heard of. Lot of older picks, that usually spells success. 

Whoo, love a fresh list with fresh old faces.

Great to see Carter on No.1 and Cheney falling out of the Top 30.

Beckenbauer and Glynis Johns are great inclusions.

• Like 4

Loved the 2023 list. This one is chancey. There’s yer  nailed ons, get you 8 or so. Hmm.

But I’m garbage at this in general, so what do I know? Ha!

If Julie Walters dies in 2024, it will be a blow !

• Sad 1

Nice list. :)

1 minute ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

Nice list. :)

I think my shadow list is better, how is yours ?

I think it looks decent. I doubt it'll top this year, but the prospective pool of DL people who seemed like certs was pretty skimpy. Most of the gambles get an "I didn't really think of that, but I can see it" approval from me.

Few other random notes:

• Above all I'm enraged they couldn't commit to the bit and keep DVD at 1. What happened to having a sense of humor?
  • I guess with Lear and now Johns, 101 is the age to be if you want them to finally take notice. Hope Eva Marie Saint can survive the year.
  • I figured they'd pick either the Pope or Bruce Willis. I don't think either will die this year, but I'm glad they went with Francis instead. Although he is pretty damn high up. It's okay guys, we forgive you for missing Benny.
  • Predictable, but glad to see Gene Hackman and Clint Eastwood on the list. Not sure either will die, but they're the kind of name I get antsy about not appearing.
  • They clearly kept Wagner to spite me. To SPITE me I'm telling you. As for the other Bob (Duvall) returning, eh, I don't mind it. He was a lot more quiet than I figured last year. As opposed to Linden who still attends cons and so on and so forth.
  • Blix and Fritzl making it is nice. Proves the DL committee didn't fully go into a coma in 1999.
  • Julie Walters is the only pick I'm convinced is probably a dud. Yeah, she pulled out of something but she is pretty old and did still film a movie after. Most likely it was nothing. I cut her from my DBN team. (Which also had Sly Stone. Plagiarism.)
  • Dropping Ono... why? If I'm counting right I don't even think they had to. Almost certainly she's in worse health than Redgrave or something.
  • Mildly surprised Hurd didn't return. Very surprised with Attenborough. Not that I really expect him to die, but two years without him is pretty shocking, given how they'd never live it down if they missed him, and guys like Cheney and Scales they clearly don't want to take the risk.
  • Since my gut reaction was that it looks pretty good, I'm feeling a final score of 3/50
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

If I have to complain:

Seriously, Fritzl over Cooke? 

Keeping Duvall but dropping Yoko? 

Otherwise a mostly very good list.

• Like 2

Just now, La Tombe said:

I don't think I have a shadow list, but my 2024 list will be updated, when New year's hits, on the west coast, or when I wake up. lol

Great list but I would've picked Attenborough. He's too big of a miss.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, La Tombe said:

We shall see I am pretty new to this and in 2022 and 2023 I did lists on my own and I was not near as good as DeathList.  2022-8 and 2023- a meager 5. They have 15 of my own picks which gives me hope I can do better this year

• Like 1

Decent list but surprised the committee picked Julie Walters instead of June Spencer or Eileen Derbyshire

Decent list overall. I like all of the newcomers this year.

Where should we post our own DL guys? Which topic 

• Like 1

Biggest duds are Francis, Draper, Walters and Cheney for me this year. 

Draper wasn't particularly famous before he was ill: strikes me as too much of a FFBI pick. If he wasn't promoted a million times over, I highly doubt we'd even look at him, even with his illness.

Francis & Cheney are plenty healthy.

Walters pulled out of one thing and recovered from cancer once, as was pointed out earlier - not a likely hit in the slightest.

• Like 2

I'm not in a state to be objective and fair at this moment,I have consumed  alcohol and I'm in shock Yoko Ono has been dropped and  I am stunned and smarting that Julie Goodyear is not on the list.

However once I have consumed some Pepsi Max and passed some time typing up my Derby Dead Pool teams I am sure I will then be able to see that despite the two things that stunned me  that it is a good list!

Buzz, finally an astronaut on DL :champagne:

Good list, most I've agreed with the drops in some time. Avoiding Attenborough is really playing with fire though.

• Like 7

Just now, thadee said:

Where should we post our own DL guys? Which topic 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Grimgrass said:

Ono is a very bad drop, also Hurd and Attenborough didn't make it back on. One of them should replace Benedict, imo (they dropped one more name than was necessary).

Very glad to see Dame Patricia on, at last!

Surprised i'd have replaced have kept Yoko Ono in replacement of Pope Francis honestly. I think he has a few more years in him

• Like 6