gcreptile

Deathlist Cup 2024

Oh, the names that you folks unearthed last month are bound to appear and score in all the following rounds.

First example of this is Joe Flaherty. The American comedian was a member of the Second City sketch comedy troupe that has given us legends like John Candy and Rick Moranis. Flaherty however didn't quite become the leading man, nor an important supporting actor, instead he seemed to specialize in small cameos and bizarre one-scene roles. I didn't count but he might be the 2nd most popular name in this round. He was known to be in failing health in February, but had a Floyd Little-like stamina to just barely survive the month of March just to spoil the game a few players. But in this round, only one match remains score-less.

Perhaps 3-0 theoldlady

GuyFromFuture 3-3 Hell

DeathByArsenic 3-0 arghton

wannamaker 0-3 MariNisia

Banana 0-3 Annami

CalebH 0-0 msc

DevonDeathTrip 3-0 SirCreep

max_bossetti 3-3 Cpt. Hemlock

• Like 5

Stefano Cherchi dead at 23.

• Thanks 2

Well, in Round One max_bossetti scored the most points and in Round Two MariNisia scored the most points. Now they both score with an individual unique hit - a sign of things to come?

Vitus Hounder was a Swiss bishop on the conservative side, even relative to the conservative Church. He was a particularly strong opponent of homosexuality, but, as the Swiss news agency points out:

"It is unclear why Huonder withdrew to the Sancta Maria Institute in Wangs, a boys' boarding school run by the traditionalist Priestly Fraternity of St. Pius X, after his retirement in April 2019."

https://theswisstimes.ch/rssfeed/the-former-bishop-of-chur-vitus-huonder-is-dead/. I guess he wanted to see Wangs.

MariNisia gobbles up all the points of the romance languages with Italian jockey Stefano Cherchi, who was an up-and-coming star of the scene having already won dozens of wins in his short career. He even got almost every possible DDP QO, showing what a big star he might have become. He had suffered a heavy fall last month and didn't recover.

I do believe though, that in both of these matches, more is to come from each player (meaning also from wannamaker and Cpt. Hemlock)

Perhaps 3-0 theoldlady

GuyFromFuture 3-3 Hell

wannamaker 0-7 MariNisia

Banana 0-3 Annami

CalebH 0-0 msc

max_bossetti 7-3 Cpt. Hemlock

• Like 3

Dr. Pranabjyoti Deka dead at 84.

• Like 3

Dr. Pranabjyoti Deka is indeed dead. He was an academic, a literary scientist, who also wrote short stories and books himself and received quite a few awards for it. It wasn't yet enough for a wikipedia page, which is usually my go-to check for fame, but Deka won, for example, the Sahitya Academy Award, a national prize for the promotion of the original Indian languages. Deka was still active and receiving awards as of a couple of months ago, but max_bossetti noted the hospitalisation late last month, and in comparison to a lot of other Indian names, he died quickly.  It's probably no consolation for Cpt. Hemlock that Abdul Nazer Masdani has left the hospital, as max_bossetti is pulling away a bit.

Perhaps 3-0 theoldlady

GuyFromFuture 3-3 Hell

wannamaker 0-7 MariNisia

Banana 0-3 Annami

CalebH 0-0 msc

max_bossetti 11-3 Cpt. Hemlock

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

It wasn't yet enough for a wikipedia page, which is usually my go-to check for fame, but Deka won, for example, the Sahitya Academy Award, a national prize for the promotion of the original Indian languages. 

Deka has a wiki page:

https://as.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/প্ৰণৱজ্যোতি_ডেকা

• Like 1

I have a feeling I should rather update the Death By Numbers again, but what can I do? It's two Cup updates in one day!

DevonDeathTrip scores with Welsh rugby player Martin Jones. It seems like I missed that hit since the articles came out on April 2nd already, but then, I can't do the googling of the roughly 20 obscure names in this round each day.... I do want to check at least every couple of days though.

Well, Martin Jones seems to have died 72 hours after that fundraiser for him, which happened on March 29th. This puts the date of death on the 1st of April.

Martin Jones was a prop for two of Wales' biggest clubs - and while he didn't have a Wikipedia page in any language (as far as I can tell, there isn't one in Cymru...) rugby is one of these British pastimes that makes even the players in the background receive attention. Neath RFC and the Cardiff Blues were both championship winning clubs, which is where I would draw the line. Players in amateur clubs would not be accepted, but Jones was, and DDT gets some distance over SirCreep.

Perhaps 3-0 theoldlady

GuyFromFuture 3-3 Hell

wannamaker 0-7 MariNisia

Banana 0-3 Annami

CalebH 0-0 msc

DevonDeathTrip 7-0 SirCreep

• Like 5

Dead Toleman! Founder of the Toleman F1 racing team Ted Toleman has died yesterday after some health problems noted by (of course!) Octopus of Odstock. In fact, most players of the game ignored OoO's post, which is a shame, because they are among the most knowledgeable on this site. The Toleman team wasn't really successful in their four years, but they gave Ayrton Senna his first chance in the Formula One, and were later purchased by Benetton, now the Alpine F1 Team.

wannamaker makes up some ground (so half of my prediction in the previous post came true), and msc puts the last scoreless match-up on the board.

Perhaps 3-0 theoldlady

GuyFromFuture 3-3 Hell

wannamaker 3-7 MariNisia

Banana 0-3 Annami

CalebH 0-3 msc

• Like 4

A nod of the hat towards @Octopus of Odstock for the tip. And yes, I take their motorsports suggestions very seriously.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Banana's captain of last month, DJ Isaac Cool has died:

https://www.myjoyonline.com/starr-fms-dj-isaac-cool-passes-on/

He'd lasted so long with his terrible injuries, you'd have thought he would be in recovery.

I have 3x as many misses as I do actual hits over the last 2 months...

1 hour ago, Banana said:

I have 3x as many misses as I do actual hits over the last 2 months...

Ah well, it's a game of probability. You just have to pick likely candidates and hope that 2-3 of them actually die. But yeah, last month showed that there's no 100% pick.

Things seem to have calmed down a lot.

As a reminder:

These will be the potential matchup's in the next round:

Perhaps or theoldlady vs. GuyFromFuture or Hell

DeathByArsenic or arghton vs. wannamaker or MariNisia

Banana or Annami vs. CalebH or msc

DevonDeathTrip or SirCreep vs. max_bossetti or Cpt. Hemlock

This weekend I will delete the old private messages to prepare for the next round. Please submit your teams from Sunday on.

PLEASE RESPOND IN A NEW MESSAGE.

Also, I will be in Italy from the 26th to 1st of May. So I'll have to resort to writing down the names manually, or I will save the email notifications that I get with a new private message. Probably the latter.

I'll try to, but I might not be readily available in these final days of April.

So try to send me a team with all eventualities, for example, a 2nd joker choice in case the first one dies too soon, etc....

Eddie Sutton gives me a decent lead.

Willie Sublett is a non-QO so far.

Leeway was a New York-based underground metal band in the 80s who made a couple of well-regarded albums but didn't quite break into the mainstream. Eddie Sutton was their frontman and had been suffering from cancer for quite a while. Banana was quickest to note the eventual downturn two days before the hospice news hit the public - and this forum. This advantage gives him unique joker points which puts Annami in need of two more hits.

Perhaps 3-0 theoldlady

GuyFromFuture 3-3 Hell

wannamaker 3-7 MariNisia

Banana 8-3 Annami

CalebH 0-3 msc

Edit: Let's put up a video of theirs - of one of their recent reunions/comebacks:

• Like 1

Indeed, Frank Field is dead. The longtime Labour MP had been suffering from prostate cancer for quite some time, and he lasted about two years longer than most people, including himself, expected him to. As far as I can tell, he was an idiosyncratic politician - in fact, he reminds me of Joe Manchin as a sort of conservative member of the left-of-centre party. He was also quite religious and yet socially progressive - a man full of contradictions and secrets....

Cpt. Hemlock was the only one patient enough to wait for Field's demise, and so, he is still in reach to catch max_bossetti with another unique hit. Cpt. Hemlock has the advantage on age I think.

Also, my previous prediction that the opponents of both MariNisia and max_bossetti were still to score, has now come to pass.

Perhaps 3-0 theoldlady

GuyFromFuture 3-3 Hell

wannamaker 3-7 MariNisia

Banana 8-3 Annami

CalebH 0-3 msc

max_bossetti 11-7 Cpt. Hemlock

• Like 3

Also, I am leaving for Italy on Friday afternoon, so be prepared that I might not be able to warn you of the final day to submit, etc....

You all still have to send your teams, as expected. Some of you might still score and advance with a final hit. I'll be back at my computer on May 1st (but will watch and occasionally write from the mobile phone).

• Like 1