Sign in to follow this  
TQR

Michael Mosley

TV's Dr Michael Mosley has been reported missing on the Greek island of Symi. No signs of him and his representatives are "very worried".

• Shocked 5

Got a BBC breaking news notification.

Still, I’ve absolutely no idea who he is.

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Still, I’ve absolutely no idea who he is.

You've clearly never watched any of those 'you are what you eat' type programmes that appear from time to time. Also the semi 'fasting' 5:2 which he wrote a book on and there was a tv promoter show about.

I watch practically no TV unless I read about it somewhere first for a review and even I know who he is ;).

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I watch practically no TV unless I read about it somewhere first for a review and even I know who he is ;).

Same goes for me, but I've never heard of the bloke!

• Like 1

Just now, Toast said:

He has a series on Radio 4 called One Small Thing and they send him on Dead Ringers

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

Well, I guess all that says is, I saw reviews of some of his shows somewhere (probably Graun) and decided to seek them out because I was sufficiently interested and you weren't?

It'd probably be the other way around if the subject were the Monarchy at a guess? Aside from the fact I can't really claim not to have heard of them :lol:.

7 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Well, I guess all that says is, I saw reviews of some of his shows somewhere (probably Graun) and decided to seek them out because I was sufficiently interested and you weren't?

I'd probably be the other way around if the subject were the Monarchy at a guess? Aside from the fact I can't really claim not to have heard of them :lol:.

He's MNIA (missing NOT in action) from the DDP - might have been bonus points if someone had snagged him. Livened up a predictable news day if nowt else

Oh crap, I hope he's found safe. I loved his Pain, Pus & Poison documentaries.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, En Passant said:

You've clearly never watched any of those 'you are what you eat' type programmes that appear from time to time. Also the semi 'fasting' 5:2 which he wrote a book on and there was a tv promoter show about.

Precisely. Don’t watch trash TV. My definition of that covering soaps, most gameshows, awkward dating programmes, anything with Gordon Ramsey, “talent” shows, Doctor Who (sorry to the diehard fan girls on here but the new episodes are cheesy and awfully written), hospital/A&E programmes, just about all of Channel 4, Strictly, staged “comedy” panel shows, and anything about fat people, dieting or weird Scottish doctors with their poo charts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Precisely. Don’t watch trash TV. My definition of that covering soaps, most gameshows, awkward dating programmes, anything with Gordon Ramsey, “talent” shows, Doctor Who (sorry to the diehard fan girls on here but the new episodes are cheesy and awfully written), hospital/A&E programmes, just about all of Channel 4, Strictly, staged “comedy” panel shows, and anything about fat people, dieting or weird Scottish doctors with their poo charts.

Oh that list pretty much concurs with mine :D.

But, in this instance, as above, I am interested to a degree in diet, the blokes a doctor (and speaks eloquently and sensibly) so despite the 'dumbing down' of a lot of the content for the proles I was prepared to wade through that to listen to what the man actually had to say.

But yes. Trash TV for the masses bores me rigid.

(oh and haha about Dr Who, it's the only thread I think I ever started, just so I don't (didn't) have to read about it all over the 'science fiction' thread :lol:)

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’ll also add to this most reality TV shows (TOWIE, Made in Chelsea, Love Island etc.) and unfunny U.S. sitcoms that require a laugh track to deceive the audience into thinking they’re funny (especially Friends).

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’ll also add to this most reality TV shows (TOWIE, Made in Chelsea, Love Island etc.) and unfunny U.S. sitcoms that require a laugh track to deceive the audience into thinking they’re funny (especially Friends).

Don't even start me, those I will even leave the room if they are on at somebody else's house. But this is a whole other topic. Ultimately it's unsurprising you don't know who he is. But most will.

And anyway, I know who half the cast of Corrie are or Eastenders or footballers or dozens of other things I have zero interest in because unless you are a hermit they are unavoidable in this country. Mosely obviously isn't that famous.

The only thing I've turned on the TV for in months is Inside No 9, and then the wonderful film 'A Foreign Field' which happened to be on BBC4 after it and which I hadn't seen for years.

Go to iplayer and watch it!  It will make you laugh a lot and cry a bit, and you will never forget it.

• Like 1

I didn't know who he is either - I thought he was the Formula 1 bloke.

(Seriously though, if I watch anything like his shows, its purely by accident, often after a skinful of booze, so I wouldn't remember anyway).

1 minute ago, time said:

after a skinful of booze, so I wouldn't remember anyway

Just as well, he'd definitely advise against drinking that much.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, En Passant said:

And anyway, I know who half the cast of Corrie are or Eastenders or footballers or dozens of other things I have zero interest in because unless you are a hermit they are unavoidable in this country. Mosely obviously isn't that famous.

Tbh I watch lots of trash TV (TM Ulitzer) and have never heard of him either though a quick Google suggests he's on a bunch of shows I don't watch.

Also never seen TOWIE or Love Island. Even I have my limits.

I know him as 'that bloke off of fad diets everycunt talks about for about 15 minutes'.

He was only reported missing yesterday so maybe he's gonna do a 5:2 and turn up tomorrow.

I'm not a viewer of his fad diet type programmes but he's done some good documentaries on BBC Four (I'm aware I'm probably one of the youngest people who still watches that channel though). Surprised that so few people here seem to have heard of him given how many other obscure names show up on here that everyone just seems to know. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

I'm not a viewer of his fad diet type programmes but he's done some good documentaries on BBC Four (I'm aware I'm probably one of the youngest people who still watches that channel though). Surprised that so few people here seem to have heard of him given how many other obscure names show up on here that everyone just seems to know. 

Quite. I think in my life I've had more conversations which have fleetingly mentioned Dr Michael Mosley than VS Achuthanandanananandandanandan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Quite. I think in my life I've had more conversations which have fleetingly mentioned DR Michael Mosley than VS Achuthanandanananandandanandan.

I once met some Indian post-docs from Kerala and they were very surprised I knew VS Achuthanandan.

• Like 3

When I saw the name I assumed he was somehow related to Oswald Mosley and his family of fascists.

Actually reading the article it becomes quite odd

He left his wife on the beach and walked back to his apartment and the police have recovered his phone from the apartment

Now assuming he had not just left his phone at the apartment and returned to get it this seems to suggest an element of premeditation (or the intervention of a third party)

If he arrived at the apartment why would he leave it again and if so why would he not take his phone with him

I might be misreading what is in the BBC article and extrapolating but it is very concerning

22 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

When I saw the name I assumed he was somehow related to Oswald Mosley and his family of fascists.

You may be thinking of Max Mosley, Oswald's son and former Formula One head. No relation. 

4 hours ago, TQR said:

TV's Dr Michael Mosley has been reported missing on the Greek island of Symi. No signs of him and his representatives are "very worried".

I know who is he is. That would a genuine shock if he's found dead.