Elsewhere, GB's Toby Roberts is doing jobs in the Fucking Climbing. Has just guaranteed himself at least a Silver.

Those boulder walls are insane.

TOBY FUCKING ROBERTS!!

• Love 1

GOOOOOOOOOOLD IN THE CLIMBING!!!! That's come from nowhere! The Japanese needed one more hold and fell off!

• Like 1

D  

L

O

G

G

N

I

K

C

U

F

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"His dad built him a climbing wall during lockdown so he could practice." Doesn't sound like he's a council house lad then. :rolleyes:

But tremendous effort, great drama and a 14th gold medal - back level with France, 4 behind the Aussies!

Tbh whenever I flick to the BBC coverage it's been oddly funereal today. You'd think we were back in the days of Atlanta when UK won one gold medal and a few other medals all games, not the 5th most successful Team GB in Olympics history. 

Primarily when watching the Heptaphlon events KJT has looked defeated and low in confidence all morning in contrast to yesterday. It's all a bit Southgate taking England to a Semi final.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

"His dad built him a climbing wall during lockdown so he could practice." Doesn't sound like he's a council house lad then. :rolleyes:

But tremendous effort, great drama and a 14th gold medal - back level with France, 4 behind the Aussies!

His Dad’s name is Tristan which is probably a clue. 

27 minutes ago, msc said:

Tbh whenever I flick to the BBC coverage it's been oddly funereal today. You'd think we were back in the days of Atlanta when UK won one gold medal and a few other medals all games, not the 5th most successful Team GB in Olympics history. 

Primarily when watching the Heptaphlon events KJT has looked defeated and low in confidence all morning in contrast to yesterday. It's all a bit Southgate taking England to a Semi final.

Yesterday was a rare happy day for KJT - she always looks defeated and low in confidence whenever she is struggling even slightly. She pretty much only has to finish the 800m in her normal pace and she will get silver behind the greatest ever.

Toby’s gold helps also in the battle for 5th in table. Keeps a gold from Japan .

57 minutes ago, msc said:

I think she was delighted by the end of the shot put after a solid hurdles, best high jump since 2019 and PB in the shot put. Since then, whether it's the classic nerves because she knows she's close, or that she's just not quite had what she wants at her disposal, she's a little under what she wanted in the 200m and a chunk under what she wanted in her long jump. She's a competitor, she wants gold, and she knows she's got enough in her arsenal to beat what Thiam's brought to this competition. But if she crosses the line tonight with a silver medal, I guarantee you she'll beam. Her career so nearly ended without an Olympic medal and she's so close now.

• Like 2

Beautifully put.

My career is going to end at Christmas without an Olympic medal and I’m gutted! 

• Haha 1

So it turns out we're only good in the diving if they're diving together...Closest we've come today to a medal in the individual with Yasmin Harper but when the Chinese girl completely fucked up her first dive, they all decided to wait for her to catch up. :rolleyes: She finished 5th having been in bronze after her first dive.

• Facepalm 1

I hate saying it, but there is something my untrained eye is clearly missing with the Chinese dives. It's been pretty much every event that other divers (certainly not just GB ones) have often put in more spectacular dives or had a cleaner line of entry and not been rewarded as highly. I'm not trying to claim jury favouritism, but I'd love to know what detail I'm missing.

Hazel Irvine on the BBC has just said that if China had only competed in diving and nothing else, they'd still be 11th on the medal table, ahead of the likes of NZ and Canada.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TQR said:

I hate saying it, but there is something my untrained eye is clearly missing with the Chinese dives. It's been pretty much every event that other divers (certainly not just GB ones) have often put in more spectacular dives or had a cleaner line of entry and not been rewarded as highly. I'm not trying to claim jury favouritism, but I'd love to know what detail I'm missing.

Hazel Irvine on the BBC has just said that if China had only competed in diving and nothing else, they'd still be 11th on the medal table, ahead of the likes of NZ and Canada.

It seems to my untrained eye that there's a very small margin of difference between a superb dive and an average dive. I can work out what a shit dive looks like but what makes the difference between a 6.5 and a 8.5 seems to be tiny, and despite how much they bang on about entry to the water and splash, that doesn't seem to be the be all and end all.

• Like 1

image.png.b4d035b89adafaca1d580373ad437986.png

I haven't seen it yet (I'm bracing myself) and call me a fuddy-duddy dinosaur but what the holy fuck is this doing in the Olympics? I've enjoyed some of the recent additions and can see their worth, skateboarding, BMX, climbing, etc. but BREAKDANCING is NOT a sport. We've gone from winners and losers to judges scoring routines to now gold medals based on judges' "vibes". Absolute fucking nonsense. :facepalm:

17 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

image.png.b4d035b89adafaca1d580373ad437986.png

I haven't seen it yet (I'm bracing myself) and call me a fuddy-duddy dinosaur but what the holy fuck is this doing in the Olympics? I've enjoyed some of the recent additions and can see their worth, skateboarding, BMX, climbing, etc. but BREAKDANCING is NOT a sport. We've gone from winners and losers to judges scoring routines to now gold medals based on judges' "vibes". Absolute fucking nonsense. :facepalm:

Give it time and they’ll be disco dancing and Rubik’s cube twisting events. 

5 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Or this... :D

On 05/08/2024 at 18:40, Toast said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Ballroom dancing next, maybe.

Well, painting used to be an Olympic sport. As did sculpture, town planning and poodle clipping.

The breakdancing is on Eurosport at the moment and it looks rather bizarre. 

I didn't know that perennial forum pool pick Saalumarada Thimmakka is a fan of freestyle wrestling.

saalu.thumb.png.73b07135b8bee57a46ab1d1d2ed501bb.png

Amusing.

WHAT a finish in the Fucking Madison, GB women at the last minute lifting themselves from Bronze to Silver!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TQR said:

WHAT a finish in the Fucking Madison, GB women at the last minute lifting themselves from Bronze to Silver!

Great race, the Madison is brilliant chaos. Girls got their tactics wrong somewhere, looking at that final sprint. They clearly had the legs, something went wrong in the middle. Immense final turn to turn bronze into silver and shows how well they did that we beat Netherlands and lost to Italy by 6 when both those teams gained a lap on us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time said:

Ballroom dancing next, maybe.

Say-No.jpg