Getting really sick and tired of Americans winning races in the last 5m.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

They're not showing the Women's Nattering final on the sports channels. They're showing live Olympic Games, shock horror.

That's sports channels for you, not the BBC. ;) Enjoy.

Georgia Fucking Bell!!! Quit the sport in 2017 after setback after setback. Only got back into it after Tokyo because her mum told her that girls she was regularly beating at younger ages were now winning Olympic medals. Got back to it, found she still had it, she's now 30-years-old and has an Olympic bronze medal, having knocked 4 seconds off her PB in the final, broken Laura Muir's British record and run an incredibly gutsy race. Absolutely amazing fighter. Wanted it so badly. Another GOOD bronze!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

Georgia Fucking Bell!!! Quit the sport in 2017 after setback after setback. Only got back into it after Tokyo because her mum told her that girls she was regularly beating at younger ages were now winning Olympic medals. Got back to it, found she still had it, she's now 30-years-old and has an Olympic bronze medal, having knocked 4 minutes off her PB in the final and run an incredibly gutsy race. Absolutely amazing fighter. Wanted it so badly. Another GOOD bronze!

For the first time this Olympics, I found myself shouting at the TV, though if that time is four minutes faster than her previous PB, I wonder how she qualified!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, time said:

For the first time this Olympics, I found myself shouting at the TV, though if that time is four minutes faster than her previous PB, I wonder how she qualified!

Clearly you quoted me before I changed it. I'd already altered it before anybody else had posted, and also noted that it's a new British record. What can I say? I was excited.

What a Fucking High Jump Final!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Georgia Fucking Bell!!! Quit the sport in 2017 after setback after setback. Only got back into it after Tokyo because her mum told her that girls she was regularly beating at younger ages were now winning Olympic medals. Got back to it, found she still had it, she's now 30-years-old and has an Olympic bronze medal, having knocked 4 seconds off her PB in the final, broken Laura Muir's British record and run an incredibly gutsy race. Absolutely amazing fighter. Wanted it so badly. Another GOOD bronze!

Knocked 14 seconds off her PB this year which is virtually 3 seconds a lap!

• Love 1

Bronze for both men and women's 4x400m relay.

American who won gold was miles ahead and the Jamaican team didn't finish because one of the girls dropped the baton.

6 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

American who won gold was miles ahead and the Jamaican team didn't finish because one of the girls dropped the baton.

Good British quartets.

Could have been faster without the two violins, a cello and a viola.

12 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Just to say, I think the Jamaican girl was injured, that's why they didn't finish, the baton drop was because she'd stopped. The Yanks should have broken the world record there.

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

Just to say, I think the Jamaican girl was injured, that's why they didn't finish, the baton drop was because she'd stopped. The Yanks should have broken the world record there.

I thought so too but I saw slower version and she didn't wince in pain or anything. Her hand bounced against someone else and it went awol.

Just now, ladyfiona said:

I thought so too but I saw slower version and she didn't wince in pain or anything. Her hand bounced against someone else and it went awol.

She pulled up, I think she felt something going, you don't have to fall in a heap to be injured. She did lose her baton against the Irish girl, but I don't think that was specifically why she stopped, although I may be wrong.

Every time I’ve watched taekwondo, a Brit has pranced around for a few minutes and then lost, as some Eastern European woman expert is saying how good he’s been. I’m obviously missing something. 

As for Laura Kenny’s 8 golds for GB prediction, I haven’t seen such disastrous over-optimism since Comical Ali was in his prime. Even my guess of 4 puts me in the Candide class. Still, (sarcastic snobbery alert) at least she delivered it in that delightful Essex estuary accent. 

Taekwondo is bollocks.

In all the time I've spent in Paris, why have I never been in the Grand Palais?  What a splendid interior.

• Like 1

GB get silver in artistic swimming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

GB get silver in artistic swimming.

That is insane. Fair play to those ladies, 14th in Tokyo, very little funding and not just medallists, silver medallists. Very well deserved. Even if I haven't a scooby what's going on when watching it.

• Like 2

Good news @YoungWillz! Denise Lewis is fucking off from the BBC to become the head of UK Athletics. Kat Johnson-Thompson has eyes on Los Angeles in 2028, so you only have one former heptathlete to despise for the next few years.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Getting really sick and tired of Americans winning races in the last 5m.

The Man City of the Olympics!

Well can't say that for the women's 4 x 400, that was one of the most one sided races I can recall in the thirty years I've been watching the Olympics.

And the UK still took a medal behind them!

• Like 2

On 09/08/2024 at 19:24, msc said:

For the record, GB's all time medal hauls at the Olympics

1908 - 146 medals

2016 - 67 medals

2012 - 65 medals

2020 - 64 medals

2024 - 56 medals so far.

So, despite all the near misses, 5th most successful games for Britain AT WORST and not out of the question we could get into the 60s yet again. Such a failure...

So 63 medals now with outside shot of another tomorrow? Clearly a mare for Team GB to be practically on par with their greatest ever teams (bar 1908 where we gamed it).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

very little funding and not just medallists, silver medallists.

Does this mean they'll now get increased funding due to winning a medal? If only we had an inside source hereabouts to give us the on the 'qt' insider info.

Team GB needs to improve in the track cycling, for the men at least. Girls are getting there but the men don't have the same quality. However, they are being trained by Jason Kenny now so we'll see how they progress.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

In all the time I've spent in Paris, why have I never been in the Grand Palais?  What a splendid interior.

It is looks so beautiful. Good thing during the Paralympics GB are good at wheelchair fencing so it will be seen on UK Tv more. There is also para Taekwondo with two GB medalists returning. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, msc said:

The Man City of the Olympics!

Well can't say that for the women's 4 x 400, that was one of the most one sided races I can recall in the thirty years I've been watching the Olympics.

And the UK still took a medal behind them!

They should absolutely have broken the world record there, no way you can't find a tenth of a second across 4 laps. Michael Johnson highlighted Gabby Thomas's poor changeover, I'd also mention Alexis Holmes tying up badly in the final metres. Real missed opportunity to remove a probable Soviet doped record from the books.

17 minutes ago, msc said:

So 63 medals now with outside shot of another tomorrow? Clearly a mare for Team GB to be practically on par with their greatest ever teams (bar 1908 where we gamed it).

I've just been looking and think there are 6 possible medal opportunities tomorrow:

Cycling - Men's Keirin, Women's Sprint, Women's Omnium (1 each, although we have 2 in both the first 2, I can only see Carlin and Finucane medalling)

Weightlifting - Emily Campbell

Modern Pentathlon - 2 women in the top 5 in the semi-final, I have no idea how the qualifying rounds work, the final is tomorrow and our gold medallist from Tokyo is 5th and our other girl is 1st! So possibilities of 2 medals if it went really well!

If we somehow hit them all, that would be 69 medals and our most successful games in terms of medals ever (aside from 1908).

• Like 2

The relay races are great.  Lovely to see people rewarded who were disappointed in their individual races.

30 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

That is insane. Fair play to those ladies, 14th in Tokyo, very little funding and not just medallists, silver medallists. Very well deserved. Even if I haven't a scooby what's going on when watching it.

Did I hear right, they were the only ones who weren't twins? !  not even sisters. That put them at a disadvantage from the start!

Talking of twins,  only just realised that there are two Nielsens who are identical twins.  Lina and Laviai.  

• Like 2