totenkopf

The Beatles Death Curse

Heinz Edelmann, the multifaceted graphic designer and illustrator who created the comically hallucinogenic landscape of Pepperland as art director for the 1968 animated Beatles film “Yellow Submarine,” died on Tuesday in Stuttgart, Germany.

He became famous because of his work on ‘Yellow Submarine,’ ... But that celebrity actually obscured his real talent and imagination.

Already noted here

• Like 1

I predict the sometimes drummer Ringo Starr will be next. He looks rather sickly.

I predict the sometimes drummer Ringo Starr will be next. He looks rather sickly.

Well, you have a 50/50 chance of being right

Don't call him by his stage name! :ph34r:

The BBC is becoming the Beatles Broadcasting Corporation for a week in early September. I'm sure Anubis is particularly looking forward to the real-time two-hour documentary, Macca: Me Vice.

It's about time BBC Four had a 'Death Week'. I'll subtly suggest it next time I speak with the schedulers.

Four Beatles albums in the top ten after the reissues and surprise surprise, Sgt Pepper is the biggest selling!

Why are people in this country so obvious?

Lucy Vodden, formerly Lucy O'Donnell, 46, is suffering from the chronic auto-immune disease and, according to Julian Lennon, she is seriously ill.

She was the inspiration for John Lennon to write "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds".

Lucy Vodden has died. Back to the drawing board for my DDP joker next year!

The man who played the piccolo trumpet solo on Penny Lane, David Mason, has died. No doubt the poor chap played on hundreds of great classical choons and rated Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders over the Beatles, but it's in here he goes I'm afraid.

He was paid the princely sum of 27 pounds and 10 shillings for his few minutes' work, apparently. That's £786,259 in today's money.

More down to earth curse has affected Ringo. After his less than loving comments about his home city a few years ago he couldn't sell out the Empire on his current tour.

Paul McCartney has just done an interview with Sir David Frost for Aljazeera in which he tries to break the myth about Yoko Ono breaking up the Beatles. My concern is that he is being very nice (and the bigger person). Is there a reason for this such as one of them is likely to die in the next 18 months.

Is there a reason for this such as one of them is likely to die in the next 18 months.

Ono hopefully

Is there a reason for this such as one of them is likely to die in the next 18 months.

Ono hopefully

I wouldn't shed any tears over either though wouldn't actually wish either dead.

Unless McCartney does another live performance as per the Olympic opening ceremony.

Out of curiosity, we know that 50% of the Beatles (Lennon and Harrison) and 50% of the Who (Entwistle and Moon) are dead. Are there any bands from the British Invasion era with lower survival rates with regard to their classic line-ups?

Well, the Kinks only have one missing (Peter Quaife). The Stones have lost a couple on the way (Jones, Stewart). Chas Chandler is the only original member of the Animals to get to the great gig in the sky. Small Faces have lost Ronnie Laine and Steve Marriott.

Overall, the British Invasion groups have held up quite well compared to other eras in terms of survival...

Well, the Kinks only have one missing (Peter Quaife). The Stones have lost a couple on the way (Jones, Stewart). Chas Chandler is the only original member of the Animals to get to the great gig in the sky. Small Faces have lost Ronnie Laine and Steve Marriott.

Overall, the British Invasion groups have held up quite well compared to other eras in terms of survival...

Yes, I just looked up the Dave Clarke 5 and only two of them have died. Only one apiece of the Pacemakers and the original Herman's Hermits have died, too.

Manfred Mann must have been clean-living lads: there are ten past members listed on their Wankipedia page, and they are all still alive.

Paul McCartney is an absolute legend. He gets unfair abuse for not being Lennon and for being cheesy in his old age (alright, he's always been cheesy).

He was the most talented Beatle. There.

• Like 1

Paul McCartney is an absolute legend. He gets unfair abuse for not being Lennon and for being cheesy in his old age (alright, he's always been cheesy).

I think all four of them were crap. There.

Yes, I just looked up the Dave Clarke 5 and only two of them have died. Only one apiece of the Pacemakers and the original Herman's Hermits have died, too.

Manfred Mann must have been clean-living lads: there are ten past members listed on their Wankipedia page, and they are all still alive.

Merseybeat acolytes, if not quite Scousers, pretty much all the major Hollies are still flowering. We had a similar discussion on another thread a few years back. The bane of a having good memory....

I think all four of them were crap. There.

I think he's a cunt. There.

• Like 2

He was in the top 6.

• Like 1

He was in the top 6.

You're gonna put him ahead of Tony Sheridan, Billy Preston, Jeff Lynne and George Best?

• Like 1