VileBody

Astronauts

On 20/04/2024 at 03:29, TomTomTelekom said:

Syrian Air Force pilot and cosmonaut with the Soviet Interkosmos space program Muhammed Faris, died at 72 years:

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-041924a-syrian-cosmonaut-muhammed-faris-obituary.html

He was the second Arab and the first Syrian citizen to travel to space.

…though not the first Syrian with space between their ears.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2023 at 16:50, ladyfiona said:

A Youtuber (Everyday Astronaut) has been selected to go to the moon as part of Elon Musk's mission.

image.png?ex=665c9d4f&is=665b4bcf&hm=6c694e8ce3cf1dbf86293a47e8d5da6390dfc773f3ed980d88d6467c4d28815d&=
As i expected the DearMoon project went nowhere, and the video has been made private (lol) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess there's no point in filming a fake Moon landing for just one person.

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, Tango854 said:

image.png?ex=665c9d4f&is=665b4bcf&hm=6c694e8ce3cf1dbf86293a47e8d5da6390dfc773f3ed980d88d6467c4d28815d&=
As i expected the DearMoon project went nowhere, and the video has been made private (lol) 

Asked one of my neighbors who worked for NASA about this - he noted that it was likely Elon bullshitting on the date that caused this, more than anything else. The rocket is nowhere near close to being ready, likely not for years...

Why don't they all just go to Nevada like the previous mob and get their share price soaring?

• Like 1

While I did get to see the Astronaut Hall of Fame ceremony in person for the first time, I have basically nothing DL wise to update you on unfortunately. Bob Crippen was there, as well a few Group 8 TFNG astronauts but they and every other astronaut who was there easily walked in and were well.

I think what really stands out to me though, is this is first HOF ceremony to my knowledge where no astronaut from the pre-Space Shuttle programs attended (Joe Kerwin was there the last 2 years, Rusty Schweickart was there last year I think, Vance Brand used to attend till 2019.) and it clearly shows they won't be around for much longer. I can even compile a list of surviving astronauts before Group 8 because there are really that few left.

Group 2 "New Nine" - Jim Lovell

Group 3 - Buzz Aldrin, Bill Anders, Rusty Schweickart, David Scott

Group 4 "Scientists" - Edward Gibson, Harrison Schmitt, Joe Kerwin

Group 5 "The Original 19" - Vance Brand, Charles Duke, Joe Engle, Fred Haise, Jack Lousma

Group 6 "The Excess Eleven" - Joseph Allen IV, Anthony England, Story Musgrave, Robert A. Parker (there is also Donald Holmquest, who never flew to space as he left NASA few years after joining and is completely under the radar)

Group 7  - Bob Crippen

• Like 6

6 hours ago, The Immortal said:

I think what really stands out to me though, is this is first HOF ceremony to my knowledge where no astronaut from the pre-Space Shuttle programs attended (Joe Kerwin was there the last 2 years, Rusty Schweickart was there last year I think, Vance Brand used to attend till 2019.) and it clearly shows they won't be around for much longer. I can even compile a list of surviving astronauts before Group 8 because there are really that few left.

Health/age issues or just not wanting to bother? Many of these guys are only in their late 80's, and I could see them holding on for a while longer. Not seen any of them, or any other astronauts that I know of, around Orlando/Titusville, so I can't say I'm able to add to any with my own personal observations unfortunately.

On 05/06/2024 at 03:54, Comped said:

Health/age issues or just not wanting to bother? Many of these guys are only in their late 80's, and I could see them holding on for a while longer. Not seen any of them, or any other astronauts that I know of, around Orlando/Titusville, so I can't say I'm able to add to any with my own personal observations unfortunately.

A mix of both I presume though Engle and Lovell are the only ones who for sure appear to have health problems going on in the aforementioned list. The other factor is many astronauts live far from Florida (Bill Anders for one lives really far away in the secluded Orcas Island area in Washington state) these days.

13 hours ago, The Immortal said:

A mix of both I presume though Engle and Lovell are the only ones who for sure appear to have health problems going on in the aforementioned list. The other factor is many astronauts live far from Florida (Bill Anders for one lives really far away in the secluded Orcas Island area in Washington state) these days.

Bill Anders reportedly dead in a plane crash: https://www.fox13seattle.com/news/william-anders-wa-plane-crash

Edit: DDP pick.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 17

27 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Actually his condition is unknown but given the footage here, I'm going to say dead:

Had a close look at that footage. The plane disappears deep behind the trees but then impacts directly on the water and yet the humming continues after its exploded. No noise from the explosion itself. Looks like a fake stitched up clip to me.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Had a close look at that footage. The plane disappears deep behind the trees but then impacts directly on the water and yet the humming continues after its exploded. No noise from the explosion itself. Looks like a fake stitched up clip to me.

Yeah, it's all tough in the early reports. Certainly looks like the plane goes in front of the trees rather than behind, but the humming and no boom - yeah, it's odd.

There's no doubt the FAA are doing a search and rescue though. 

And so we wait. :sherlock:

Not me though, I'm off to my bed. ;)

• Like 1

The speed of sound is around 330 metres per second, so at this distance the engine would still be heard for a few seconds after impact.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Yeah, it's all tough in the early reports. Certainly looks like the plane goes in front of the trees rather than behind, but the humming and no boom - yeah, it's odd.

There's no doubt the FAA are doing a search and rescue though. 

And so we wait. :sherlock:

No need. Confirmed dead by his son. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Here's one from another member of the couple taking the vids - the boom is on that one, certainly: 

1 minute ago, JQW said:

The speed of sound is around 330 metres per second, so at this distance the engine would still be heard for a few seconds after impact.

Yeah, distance is key here.

• Like 1

Hell of a way to learn I had a member of Apollo 8 living just a few miles from me. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, FinalChapter said:

Hell of a way to learn I had a member of Apollo 8 living just a few miles from me. 

Could have been worse, he might have hit your house!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Bill Anders reportedly dead in a plane crash: https://www.fox13seattle.com/news/william-anders-wa-plane-crash

Edit: DDP pick.

What a tragic irony. To survive the most dangerous period in Spaceflight history only to die in a plane crash at age 90. It's not exactly a rare occurrence in astronauts as Ted Freeman, S. David Griggs, Elliott See, Charles Bassett and Manley "Sonny" Carter (albeit as a passenger) all died this way, but it's still extremely unlucky (especially as many old astronauts flew well into their senior years).

Nonetheless we lost a legend in spaceflight history and another Apollo Astronaut, R.I.P.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Immortal said:

What a tragic irony. To survive the most dangerous period in Spaceflight history only to die in a plane crash at age 90. It's not exactly a rare occurrence in astronauts as Ted Freeman, S. David Griggs, Elliott See, Charles Bassett and Manley "Sonny" Carter (albeit as a passenger) all died this way, but it's still extremely unlucky (especially as many old astronauts flew well into their senior years).

Nonetheless we lost a legend in spaceflight history and another Apollo Astronaut, R.I.P.

You do realise that spaceflights and Moon landings have all been fake, right?

• Haha 2
  • Angry 1
  • Facepalm 10

11 minutes ago, Tower1 said:

sometimes i think people that are this uneducated are fake...

15 minutes ago, jimbean1121 said:

If wishing made it so.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tower1 said:

Some of these days tower...bang...zoom...you're going to the Moon!

37 minutes ago, jimbean1121 said:

You have never been to the UK then?

3 hours ago, Tower1 said:

Weird, I just went to a place that contains astronaut memorabilia, moon rocks, rocket components, a spaceflight Hall of Fame and even an entire Space Shuttle for an exhibit. Now why would I bother to visit such a place if spaceflight didn't exist? Oops, because it does.

• Like 2