Lady Die

Tennis players

7 hours ago, Gisooo said:

American tennis player Tony Vincent (Wikidead at 97

image.png.8809d38c6e67f5ecccf139cc7086ff96.png

“Anthony enjoyed playing chess and gin rummy and was a master backgammon player. In fact, he twice reached the finals of the World Backgammon Championships in 1966 and 1970. Anthony also won the U.S. National Paddle Ball singles and doubles (with Bobby Riggs) in 1967.”

• Like 2

Former Wimbledon champion Vic Seixas is 100 today. This video includes the likes of Martina Navratilova, Billie-Jean King, Stan Smith, Tracey Austin and Virginia Wade wishing him happy birthday. No sign of Rod Laver or Ken Rosewall.  

• Like 4

On 09/09/2021 at 15:18, Sideik said:

Manuel (Manolo) Santana is 82, former husband of Mila Ximenez departed in June this year he won 4 slams back in his days but in recent times some speculation arose about his frail health.

Alex Corretja shared a video in which Santana is playing tennis to celebrate Wimbledon winning in order to deny the rumors but I was reading an interview in which Nicola Pietrangeli (87) says he is still a good friend of Manolo and he is really sad because the spanish is not able to speak anymore. One to keep an eye on. 

Nicola Pietrangeli hospitalised after heart attack, but not in danger.

• Like 2

On 06/10/2023 at 10:02, drol said:

Nicola Pietrangeli hospitalised after heart attack, but not in danger.

Nicola Pietrangeli discharged.

• Like 1

Italian A-lister and current women's national team manager Tathiana Garbin diagnosed with rare cancer, has already undergone surgery and will undergo another in a short time.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, lilham said:

Chris Evert's ovarian cancer returns; she's in chemotherapy and missing Aussie Open. https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/chris-evert-begins-chemotherapy-after-ovarian-cancer-returns-will-miss-australian-open-health

I do take note of instances like this, where someone famous is announced to be dealing with some sort of affliction, and they release details that portend to a positive outcome, such as cancer in an early stage, etc.  When they don't issue any type of positive details, that makes me think it's something very serious and that the prognosis isn't good.  Such as Dikembe Mutombo.  Anyway, Chrissie was the first female tennis player that I rooted hard for as a kid, so I hope her prognosis is once again good, despite the recurrence.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

I do take note of instances like this, where someone famous is announced to be dealing with some sort of affliction, and they release details that portend to a positive outcome, such as cancer in an early stage, etc.  When they don't issue any type of positive details, that makes me think it's something very serious and that the prognosis isn't good.  Such as Dikembe Mutombo.  Anyway, Chrissie was the first female tennis player that I rooted hard for as a kid, so I hope her prognosis is once again good, despite the recurrence.  

Chrissie was the first female tennis player for me too.

I think it's because all of the Australian schedules and interviews are ramping up, so if this happened in February, maybe she wouldn't have mentioned it. However, she also does advocacy on the issue.

8 minutes ago, lilham said:

Chrissie was the first female tennis player for me too.

I think it's because all of the Australian schedules and interviews are ramping up, so if this happened in February, maybe she wouldn't have mentioned it. However, she also does advocacy on the issue.

Through by then it’s only a month to the big USA hosted March tournaments which she normally presents as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Through by then it’s only a month to the big USA hosted March tournaments which she normally presents as well. 

The season never ends!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lilham said:

The season never ends!

Yup, and it's ridiculous.  They play WAY too much throughout the year.  It's basically a one-month offseason for the top players, and then in January everyone is off to Australia/New Zealand to begin prep for the AO.  

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 11:46, drol said:

Italian A-lister and current women's national team manager Tathiana Garbin diagnosed with rare cancer, has already undergone surgery and will undergo another in a short time.

Tathiana Garbin hospitalised with complications from the second surgery.

• Like 1

Florence de la Courtie-Billat died at the age of 88 on December 17, the former French tennis player reached the top of the French rankings during her career. She reached the singles round of 16 at the 1961 Wimbledon Championships and was a women's doubles quarter-finalist at the 1962 French Championships (with Françoise Dürr).

https://carnetdujour.lefigaro.fr/deces/annonces/481528130/

• Like 2

On 09/12/2023 at 07:02, MrWonderful said:

Chrissie was the first female tennis player that I rooted hard for as a kid

As someone who was going through adolescence when she was on TV alot, so did I !!

• Like 1

Boro Jovanović,  Yugoslav tennis player who was runner-up in the 1962 Wimbledon doubles tournament with Nikola Pilić, and quarter-finalist in the 1968 Wimbledon doubles tournament has died aged 84. Obit (In Croatian). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 21/12/2023 at 13:48, Perhaps said:

Belarusian tennis player Max Mirnyi diagnosed with a "malignant head tumour" which required an 8 hour operation to remove. Expected to receive further treatment in the US.

https://bnnbreaking.com/sports/max-mirnyi-renowned-tennis-champion-diagnosed-with-malignant-head-tumor/

I think he misunderstood when the U.S. said ‘if you try to come over our borders we will give you the treatment!’

• Haha 1

Rosie Reyes, Mexican player who was active in the 1950s and 1960s, making the semi - finals of the French Open in 1959 and the quarterfinals of Wimbledon in 1957, and who won the doubles tournament at the French Open in 1958 has died aged 84. Obit (In Spanish).

• Like 1

Can this thread be expanded to other (better) racquet sports like squash, padel, badminton and ping pong?

3 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Can this thread be expanded to other (better) racquet sports like squash, padel, badminton and ping pong?

Does your need for ping-pong include the ladies who play it in patpong?

I like ladies ping pong but only the version with a dry ball.

Although the patpong ladies are also elite athletes in a way.

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

If so, we could mention that two-time real tennis world champion Pete Bostwick Jr died in 2022 at the age of 87.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Once again, we all know what was meant by tennis.  NO.  This thread shouldn’t be expanded to include people no one has ever heard of.  We all know tennis stars.  No one here can make a single person who has ever struck a ping ping ball to save their life. If they’re any good they were Olympiads and we’ve a thread for that.

• Like 3

If you don't know Ma Long, Timo Boll, badminton players like Lin Dan and Taufik Hidayat, Padel players like Lebron/Galan or Cuello/Tapia or squash players like Ali Farag and Diego Elias then you are clearly not much of a fan of racquet sports [disclaimer: I am currently unable to name any real tennis, pickleball or Eton Fives players]. Stick to watching Wimbledon for 2 weeks a year or whatever the American equivalent of that is.

48 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

[disclaimer: I am currently unable to name any real tennis, pickleball or Eton Fives players].

Lachlan Deuchar or Chris J Ronaldson. Must be 70+ now 

• Like 1