Lady Die

Tennis players

Wimbledon Men's Singles Champions of 1948, 1950, 1951, 1952 and 1953 all of whom are different people are all still alive. In contrast, all 22 players from the 1953 FA Cup Final are dead. I suppose that says a lot about the health impacts of both sports. 

• Like 5

It will be interesting to see if the 2075 Deathlist is talking about the likes of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. 

There also appear to be more pre-1954 Wimbledon Mens Singles Champions alive than footballers who played in a pre-1954 Football World Cup finals tournament which is crazy statistic. 

On 29/08/2021 at 18:15, arghton said:

40s Wimbledon Champions and Runner-ups still living:

Geoff Brown (1923-) Runner-up of the 1946 Men's singles, also of the 1946 Men's doubles, the 1946 Mixed doubles, the 1950 Men's doubles, the 1950 Mixed doubles.

Bob Falkenburg (1926-) Champion of the 1947 Men's doubles, Champion of the 1948 Men's singles.

Bill Sidwell (1920-) Runner-up of the 1947 and 1950 Men's doubles

Frank Sedgman (1927-) Champion of the 1948 Men's doubles, Runner-up of the 1948 Mixed doubles, Champion of the 1951 Men's doubles and the 1951 Mixed doubles, World no. 1 in 1951 (Pierre Gillou), Champion of the 1952 Men's singles, Champion of the 1952 Men's doubles, Champion of the 1952 Mixed doubles.

Christiane Mercelis (1931-) Champion of the 1949 Girls' singles

Bill Sidwell was also the Champion of the 1938 Boys' Doubles and the 1939 Boys' Singles in the Australian Open

Bill Sidwell (wiki) dead at 101 according to this FB post from a family friend:

"Today I am sad to advise of the passing last week of Australia's, if not the world's oldest Davis Cup player, Bill Sidwell (101)

Ranked #10 in the World in 1949
Not only a player, Bill joined Slazenger as a young lad back in the mid 1930's and stayed with them for 47 years.
He was very considerate with his time to me as I would often ring him to talk about the racquets made for various players and some of the innovations that bobbed up in the 1930's. He was never short on good stories about his time in the game and travelling around the world........
Miss you Bill.
Best wishes to son Terry and family."

239953569_10159218716132319_86.jpg.6dea08865860ace901f94d7d6485fbde.jpg233625255_10159218716592319_6210269415780997337_n.jpg.67a9c6b2ddceb78e77f5a54114a9b5fd.jpg

EDIT: There's a death notice on this site here.
  • Like 1

Cue post about that being young for a tennis player somehow in 3...2...

• Haha 1

Manuel (Manolo) Santana is 82, former husband of Mila Ximenez departed in June this year he won 4 slams back in his days but in recent times some speculation arose about his frail health.

Alex Corretja shared a video in which Santana is playing tennis to celebrate Wimbledon winning in order to deny the rumors but I was reading an interview in which Nicola Pietrangeli (87) says he is still a good friend of Manolo and he is really sad because the spanish is not able to speak anymore. One to keep an eye on. 

Billie Jean King and five of the other original nine female players who broke away in 1970. None of them look unwell to me. 

Billie+Jean+King+Rosie+Casals+2021+International+ya7fW8h41G0l.jpg

• Like 1

He is a tennis player! He's like in his 50s for a normal person.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 29/08/2021 at 20:20, Ulitzer95 said:

Curious to know if Earl Cochell is still alive? He’d be 99 now. He was banned for life then fell off the radar though remains a talking point online.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Cochell

A while ago I did some forum searching that did not result in anything but now I've found this:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/190391647/shirley-c-cochell

His wife died in December 2003, was atleast still alive back then.

And the picture of the grave seems to have been added in 2019.

• Thanks 1

On 13/09/2021 at 09:48, arghton said:

A while ago I did some forum searching that did not result in anything but now I've found this:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/190391647/shirley-c-cochell

His wife died in December 2003, was atleast still alive back then.

And the picture of the grave seems to have been added in 2019.

Just an update on this. I had a look through the residency records on Spokeo and Clustrmaps. I'm sure he was on there a few years ago. Not now. Died between July 2019 and now off radar? 

On 04/02/2021 at 20:26, msc said:

Budge Patty - but his fame was 70 years ago, not so much today. (Still going btw, for deadpool watchers out there.)

Btw as the person to originally make the DL gag about tennis being good for longevity I clearly meant 80s, which a lot of the 50s/60s stars are now reaching, and obviously Trabert achieved that.

American former world no. 1 tennis player Budge Patty (wiki) being reported dead aged 97 by Swiss media.

A miss in the DDP (he was picked last year).

unnamed.jpg.41c78142c5af151e0eb5675041c5469f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

Oh, no! So young for a tennis player!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

American former world no. 1 tennis player Budge Patty (wiki) being reported dead aged 97 by Swiss media.

A miss in the DDP (he was picked last year).

unnamed.jpg.41c78142c5af151e0eb5675041c5469f.jpg

One of the proper big historic names in tennis. Also a loss as I had him shortlisted for my Old Notables DDP side team, specifically as no one had picked him this year!

Although surprised that Vic Seixas, who needed 24/7 care before covid started, has outlasted him here.

• Like 2

https://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-famers/inductees/jane-brown-grimes

Jane Brown Grimes, tennis executive has died at the age of 80. She was the President of the US Tennis Association 2007-2008.

She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame, Contributor category in 2014 along with John Barrett (1931-) and Nick Bollettieri (1931-2022)

• Like 1

Former doubles great Peng Shuai has apparently gone missing after accusing a high-ranking CCP official of sexual assault.  The Chinese state media has released an email, they claim is from Peng, though, that states she's fine..... and we all know they'd never lie

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/17/tennis/peng-shuai-naomi-osaka-intl-hnk/index.html

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Hall of Fame inductee (1973) Darlene Hard, dead at 85. Won three major singles titles and a remarkable 18 major doubles titles.

I wonder if she will make the BBC annual round up. Was Wimbledon champion. 

On 04/12/2021 at 01:16, jcc said:

So many puns, so little time.

Also, the headline has her surname as Hurd, the rest of the obit Hard.  Great gdamn editing.  They had one job….

Won't hear about many female Chinese tennis players unless you are in Asia. Women's Tennis Association has pulled out.

4 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Won't hear about many female Chinese tennis players unless you are in Asia. Women's Tennis Association has pulled out.

Before the facial? :lol:

• Facepalm 1

On 06/12/2020 at 19:04, YoungWillz said:

And more bad news for Chris Evert as her former coach Dennis Ralston she reports dead:

Grand Slam doubles champ, runner up at Wimbledon to Manuel Santana in 1966.

According to this the cancer took him: https://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2020/12/remembering-dennis-ralston-tennis-renaissance-man/92039/

And now Manuel Santana (wiki), has died aged 83.

• Like 4

On 09/09/2021 at 15:18, Sideik said:

Manuel (Manolo) Santana is 82, former husband of Mila Ximenez departed in June this year he won 4 slams back in his days but in recent times some speculation arose about his frail health.

Alex Corretja shared a video in which Santana is playing tennis to celebrate Wimbledon winning in order to deny the rumors but I was reading an interview in which Nicola Pietrangeli (87) says he is still a good friend of Manolo and he is really sad because the spanish is not able to speak anymore. One to keep an eye on. 

Very good hint it was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1