Alan Mills, Wimbledon referee for many years, reported dead: 

Again, awaiting the usual if true.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

This guy’s account is fascinating- anti Muslim/immigrant but also anti Trump. 

14 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Confirmation from ATP here.

Not sure if calling somebody the "Rain Man" of Wimbledon is a compliment or not...

• Like 1

Rod Lave just took his seat mid match  at the arena named after him. Looks quite well but I think he had a stick with him but he wasn’t really using it. Didn’t come in with anyone.

Frank Okey (wiki) died on 23rd December, aged 104.

Obit here.

A pick for me in the Centenarians Deadpool 2023, but not a hit as nobody spotted it in time. Such is life.

• Like 3

This means Vic Seixas is now the oldest living tennis player?

9 minutes ago, drol said:

This means Vic Seixas is now the oldest living tennis player?

He's the 3rd oldest living on my list (born Aug 1923).

Soviet player Natalya Vetoshnikova (born 1921, wiki) and Hungarian Márta Peterdy-Wolf (born Feb 1923, wiki) are still with us.

I'm assuming that Adli El Shafei (born 1919, wiki) of Egypt and Earl Cochell (born 1922, wiki) of the USA are deceased. Would be great if someone could crack these cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pete Sampras labelled "unrecognizable" by the Daily Mail, people are upset:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/news-you-guys-trash-serena-williams-ex-coach-jumps-pete-sampras-defense-labeled-unrecognizable-major-news-outlet

He does look his age and then some, imo. Quite the aging recently, so yes, the cancer fight of his wife is taking a big toll on him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Pete Sampras labelled "unrecognizable" by the Daily Mail, people are upset:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/news-you-guys-trash-serena-williams-ex-coach-jumps-pete-sampras-defense-labeled-unrecognizable-major-news-outlet

He does look his age and then some, imo. Quite the aging recently, so yes, the cancer fight of his wife is taking a big toll on him.

He looks perfectly recognisable and fine healthwise to me. Nothing to see here. 

• Like 2

I don't know he looks fine to me, and I can tell it is him.  He is 51 years of age and was 19 in 1990 when he won his first major.. Many of us do not look the same after 30 plus years. Give the man a break

On 08/01/2024 at 06:05, Neol Edmunds said:

Lachlan Deuchar or Chris J Ronaldson. Must be 70+ now 

Makes a decent but weak pint!

caledonian2.png

• Like 2

Lenny Simpson, dead at age 75, was an African-American professional tennis player and founder of One Love Tennis, a tennis and academic enrichment program for at-risk children. was ranked in the top 10 nationally in all age groups as a junior in singles and doubles. In the early 1960s, he won the ATA men's singles and doubles national championship. and played in the US Open Championship in 1964, 1965 and 1966.Simpson entered the Pro Tour and turned professional in 1973 and was the first African-American to play world team tennis

https://www.wwaytv3.com/wilmington-tennis-icon-lenny-simpson-dead-at-age-75/

Still1216 00001

15 minutes ago, diego said:

Lenny Simpson, oorlede op die ouderdom van 75, was 'n Afro-Amerikaanse professionele tennisspeler en stigter van One Love Tennis, 'n tennis- en akademiese verrykingsprogram vir kinders in gevaar. was in die top 10 nasionaal in alle ouderdomsgroepe as 'n junior in enkel- en dubbelspel. In die vroeë 1960's het hy die ATA mans enkel- en dubbelspel nasionale kampioenskap gewen. en het in die Amerikaanse Ope-kampioenskap in 1964, 1965 en 1966 gespeel. Simpson het die Pro-toer betree en in 1973 professioneel geword en was die eerste Afro-Amerikaner wat wêreldspantennis gespeel het 

https://www.wwaytv3.com/wilmington-tennis-icon-lenny-simpson-dead-at-age-75/

Still1216 00001

Translation using Google Translate:

Lenny Simpson, who has died aged 75, was an African-American professional tennis player and founder of One Love Tennis, a tennis and academic enrichment program for at-risk children. was in the top 10 nationally in all age groups as a junior in singles and doubles. In the early 1960s he won the ATA men's singles and doubles national championship. and played in the US Open Championship in 1964, 1965 and 1966. Simpson entered the Pro Tour and turned professional in 1973, becoming the first African-American to play world team tennis.

• Like 1

Armistead Neely, a member of the Southern Tennis Hall of Fame, has died. He was 76. Neely won 29 USTA senior national titles, at least one in each of seven age divisions from the 35-and-over (the first in 1982) through the 65-and-over (the last in 2014).

https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school-sports-blog/local-tennis-great-armistead-neely-dead-at-age-76/JO2K2VBULRG5HKVKD6CJD6GWEY/

Aussie tennis player Jenny Staley Hoad (Wikidead at 89

She was the wife of Australian well-known tennis player Lew Hoad

image.thumb.png.75f9145f941fe9f14fc1a83a9e613064.png

• Like 2

Alan Jones, a respected British tennis coach who worked with the likes of Laura Robson and Jo Durie, has died. He was 75. Tributes to him are being led by Billie Jean King.

https://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/13111210/respected-british-tennis-coach-alan-jones-dies-aged-75-billie-jean-king-and-laura-robson-pay-tribute

On 22/01/2024 at 18:33, Ulitzer95 said:

He's the 3rd oldest living on my list (born Aug 1923).

Soviet player Natalya Vetoshnikova (born 1921, wiki) and Hungarian Márta Peterdy-Wolf (born Feb 1923, wiki) are still with us.

I'm assuming that Adli El Shafei (born 1919, wiki) of Egypt and Earl Cochell (born 1922, wiki) of the USA are deceased. Would be great if someone could crack these cases.

FB death notice for Hungarian-born French tennis player Márta Peterdy-Wolf (Wiki), aged 101!

image.png.414599326ec804cf47b6feb38cfaba02.png

• Like 5

On 22/01/2024 at 17:33, Ulitzer95 said:

Cochell was still alive in 2019 when this photo of his wife's gravestone was taken. Either that or he died in such obscurity that they forgot to bury him with her, which I suppose could be feasible.