Deadornot

Who are the immortals?

I have some suggestions for the 2024 immortals list.

1. Kong Nay: Cambodian musician. He was apparently "living out the final days of his life"... 1 year ago. Diabetes complications, blood pressure issues, lung failure, and somehow still alive.

2. Roman Kostomarov: Russian ice dancer. Allegedly suffered from cerebral hemorrhage, oedema, meningitis, two strokes, blood infection. He was also on life support due to complications from pneumonia and in a coma a few months ago. Apparently, he needs a few amputations too.

3. Edmund White: American writer. He revealed he was HIV-positive in 1985, and in 2012, he suffered two strokes AND a heart attack within the span of a few months.

4. Ranulph Fiennes: British explorer. He suffered two heart attacks, underwent a double heart bypass, and survived cancer. He also has diabetes.

• Like 3

I'll likely gather up a larger suggestions list later this year, but here's six suggestions to the list if they'll make it. These don't include my previous mentions (Le Pen, Murdoch, Yael Dayan):

1. Mirtha Legrand: 96, has survived cancer twice, gallbladder operation in 2005, acute gastroenteritis and intestinal obstruction in 2019, emergency heart surgery in 2021 and pacemaker implantation earlier this year, looks better than the average 65-year-old. 

2. Louis Farrakhan: 90, was on his last legs, "close to dying" with cancer, anemia, infections, "bleeding" and emergency surgery in 1998-1999 and then again "dying" in 2006 with terminal cancer. Later hospitalisations atleast in 2014 and 2015. As Ulitzer said, how is he still alive? 

3. Wanda Półtawska (1921-2023): 101, survived concentration camps, terminal intestinal cancer in 1962 and critical conditions after a housefire in 2014 that left her badly disfigured. Again said to be in failing health early this year but seemingly bounced back. 

4. Dennis Skinner: 91, has survived advanced bladder cancer, getting shot, heart and hip surgeries and a serious infection at 87. And of course atleast one death rumor. He's had a thread on this site for nearly 20 years and it was even originally made due to him having major health issues. One of the immortal potentials of British politics with Winnie Ewing who's been in failing health for around 15 years now.

5. Peter MacDonald (Hashkasilt Begay): 94, crook Navajo Nation leader who was "dying physically and mentally" in 1996 after heart attacks, suffering from diabetes, arthritis, high BP, Albertofujimorism and severe back problems. Still alive and wheeled around, has outlived five of his immediate successors who were all born after him.

6. Solihin G. P.: 97 next month with a health history of...severe stroke at 90 and atleast two or three hospitalisations since, seemed on his deathbed in 2018 and had rough covid and a death rumor in 2021. 

few more I've seemingly forgotten about - I'll add those who won't be on my July list here...:

7. Gherardo Hercolani Fava Simonetti: This guy has been in failing health for the last 12 years.

8. Ryan O'Neal (1941-2023): Leukemia survivor, stage IV prostate cancer over a decade ago. He looked like a jaundiced ballsack some years ago.

9. Akintola Williams (1919-2023): 103 and has been clinging on to life by a thread forever.

10. June Lockhart: I don't remember her health currently, but she's been mentioned on perennial picks lists for 5 years atleast.

11 & 12. Muhibbullah Babunagari and Gyanashree Mahathero: Some of the most influential religious leaders of Bangladesh. Babunagari is ancient and has had hospitalisations in recent years, Mahathero was on his deathbed in 2018 and has been ultrafrail since.

13 & 14. HD Deve Gowda and Manmohan Singh - how are they still alive?

15. Boris Spassky: was on my suggestions list for 2022. Impressive he's still alive having been wheelchairbound since a massive stroke over a decade ago.

+ Rowshan Ershad - hospitalised for around half a year some time ago? Suffering from everything.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, arghton said:

I'll likely gather up a larger suggestions list later this year, but here's six suggestions to the list if they'll make it. These don't include my previous mentions (Le Pen, Murdoch, Yael Dayan):

1. Mirtha Legrand: 96, has survived cancer twice, gallbladder operation in 2005, acute gastroenteritis and intestinal obstruction in 2019, emergency heart surgery in 2021 and pacemaker implantation earlier this year, looks better than the average 65-year-old. 

2. Louis Farrakhan: 90, was on his last legs, "close to dying" with cancer, anemia, infections, "bleeding" and emergency surgery in 1998-1999 and then again "dying" in 2006 with terminal cancer. Later hospitalisations atleast in 2014 and 2015. As Ulitzer said, how is he still alive? 

3. Wanda Półtawska: 101, survived concentration camps, terminal intestinal cancer in 1962 and critical conditions after a housefire in 2014 that left her badly disfigured. Again said to be in failing health early this year but seemingly bounced back. 

4. Dennis Skinner: 91, has survived advanced bladder cancer, getting shot, heart and hip surgeries and a serious infection at 87. And of course atleast one death rumor. He's had a thread on this site for nearly 20 years and it was even originally made due to him having major health issues. One of the immortal potentials of British politics with Winnie Ewing who's been in failing health for around 15 years now.

5. Peter MacDonald (Hashkasilt Begay): 94, crook Navajo Nation leader who was "dying physically and mentally" in 1996 after heart attacks, suffering from diabetes, arthritis, high BP, Albertofujimorism and severe back problems. Still alive and wheeled around, has outlived five of his immediate successors who were all born after him.

6. Solihin G. P.: 97 next month with a health history of...severe stroke at 90 and atleast two or three hospitalisations since, seemed on his deathbed in 2018 and had rough covid and a death rumor in 2021. 

Great list. I think half of them will be dead by 2024 though, and that is Farrakhan, Poltawska and Skinner. I considered Farrakhan a miss since the 1st of january : I sense his ommission from the list will be proven to be a bad choice and even if he does live to 2024, I’d say he’s too notable, old and frail to not be on the list. I’ve mentioned him a few times before. I like the idea of bringing back og picks such as Skinner, Farrakhan and Minnelli for example. JLL, Charles Aznavour and even Musharraf (to a lesser degree) have proven to be valid returnees. 

• Like 1

Should I add another name, often talked about in french circles : Herbert Léonard, born 1945 (wiki). The french singer has recently been hospitalised in intensive care in critical condition for pneumonia and pleuresis.
2017 he spent a month and a half in induced coma following a pulmonary embolism.

2021 : 2 cardiovascular surgeries + one arterial leg surgery, couldn’t walk anymore

2022 : severe Covid which led to intensive care hospitalisation on respiratory monitoring. Surgery on his vocal chords. Said to be on his deathbed but bounced back.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 00:23, Superstar said:

4. Ranulph Fiennes: British explorer. He suffered two heart attacks, underwent a double heart bypass, and survived cancer. He also has diabetes.

Just to add some local knowledge about Fiennes - he is an appallingly bad driver, with a penchant for wreckless speeding and suicidal overtaking maneuvers on blind bends.  He has also been previously fined for "a momentary lapse of consciousness" at the wheel. 

• Like 1

Some personal suggestions for immortals.

Ike Schab - Pearl Harbor Veteran. Hospitalized at least 4 times since 2022 from pneumonia, COVID-19 and other respiratory issues. In poor health for years. His last wish was to make a visit to Pearl Harbor for its 80th anniversary, back in 2021. He's still alive at the age of 102.

Roger Donlon - Has had "end stage Parkinson's disease" since 2018 and the Parkinson's is supposedly because of Agent Orange exposure. Still attended the most recent Medal Of Honor recipients convention (though his wife mentioned it's most likely his last) and still tries to be involved military related events despite being extremely frail because of the Parkinson's.

Fred Lorenzen - Old NASCAR driver who was diagnosed with dementia 10 years, but reportedly had symptoms since the 1990s. Seems to have rapidly declined in the last few years.

Cresencia Garcia - Another WWII veteran (lot of WWII veterans seem to be immortals). Was in critical condition in the ICU with COVID when she was 100 years old and lived to tell the tale. Now 103, looked skeletal in her most recent appearance a couple months ago.

Derek Draper - Suffered from a severe COVID-19 case which he has miraculously survived thus far despite being in a coma for months and in intensive care for at least a year, suffering multiple other complications like sepsis twice, kidney damage that required surgery and multiple organ failure. His recent photos clearly show he's a testament to immortality.

• Like 2

Here is another list of people who should be considered for the 2024 immortals list:

1. Howard Dully: American lobotomy victim who has lived with a transorbital lobotomy since 1960. Also a former alcoholic.
  2. Pedro Pablo Kuczynski: Former Peruvian leader. Was hospitalized with a heart attack in 2019, and was diagnosed with hypertension. A few months after that heart attack, he was "hospitalized and was transferred to his home". He was also hospitalized with pneumonia last year.
  3. Hamadi Jebali: Former Tunisian leader. Health declined after several hunger strikes. Reportedly refused heart and diabetes medication. Also alleged that he was a victim of torture.
  4. Neil Cavuto: American conservative Fox News host. Survived multiple sclerosis AND cancer (which he described as "near-life ending") at the same time. Received heart surgery in 2016. Was hospitalized for COVID-19 twice and was treated for pneumonia.
  5. Alexei Navalny: Russian activist. Survived a Novichok nerve agent poisoning. While in prison, he lost sensation of his spine and legs. Later he began a hunger strike. His attorneys claimed he had a spinal disc herniation. Health increasingly declined in April 2021, with high potassium blood levels, and damaged kidneys.
  6. Yehudah Glick: Israeli rabbi and politician who managed to survive being shot in the chest 4 times.
  7. Mark Gastineau: American football player. Was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's in 2016. In 2019, he revealed his colon cancer diagnosis.
  8. Abdelhak Nouri: Dutch footballer. In 2017, he suffered a heart attack which led to permanent brain damage. He was placed in intensive care, and he was in a coma until the next year.
  • Like 1

On the above list - I agree with 2, maybe 1 and 7, disagree especially with 6 and 8 as there are people much older who've survived similar stuff. And the youngest person on drol's Immortals lists is Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee who is 79*. Howard Dully is an interesting case, has been on my radar for a few years. 

Edit, note: While Bhattacharjee is the oldest, there's a five-year gap between him and Alberto Fujimori (84) who's currently the second-oldest. They're the only two immortals listers (excluding Kabosu) who are under 85.

One of the page 2 names, David Musuguri, is once again in hospital according to twitter posts:

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

He looks very very good for a 103 year old with diabetes.

• Like 2

I've mentioned him a few times, but Peter Angelos is certainly in immortal territory by now. He's been incapacitated since a collapse in 2017 triggered by severe heart failure, and has long suffered from advanced dementia. 94 next month and hasn't been seen in ages. How the fuck he is still alive is an extreme mystery.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2023 at 17:06, drol said:

Ma Shitu, Wang Huo and another decrepit Sichuan writer named Li Zhi just received a lifetime award.

None of them managed to attend the ceremony due to "old age".

Ma Shitu (who was too ill to even make a video appearance for that lifetime award ceremony in February) bounces back and is interviewed by CCP-owned "The Paper". The image in the article is really low in quality but he's wheelchairbound again apparently.

We'll see if he attends Wang Huo's 99th (East Asia reckoning 100th) birthday party in the next weeks. Last year Ma Shitu, Wang Huo and Li Zhi were all there.

Here's Emmanuel Milingo last week on his 93rd birthday celebration:

milingo93.png.150cbab27db4ccd33bc78b9831e51990.png

I should stop picking him in 20/20+2.

• Like 2

And another row of people doing unexplicably well. You are 108 fuck's sake, just die.

Finally...massively overdue (one of the "perennial dementia sufferers" - see page 2). Apparently she was hospitalised a few days ago in critical condition (not reported by English sources and not mentioned here) but she had been in 24/7 care at a nursing home and on tubes since a severe infection in 2018. DDP pick too I think?

Carmen Sevilla (1930-2023)

Whoooooooooo? (Joanne Woodward on Carmen's death)

image.jpeg.bb37cde8ad6c971360be0a0faac70e81.jpeg

Age at death: 92

Known health issues: Alzheimer's since 2010, in serious conditions with infection in 2018, death hoax in 2020, hospitalised in critical condition in 2023.

Cause of death: I forgot it.

Alignment: Easily Classic actress from Hollywood and Mexico golden age. Ay ay ay!

• Like 7

On 16/06/2023 at 04:17, Superstar said:

Here is another list of people who should be considered for the 2024 immortals list:

• Yehudah Glick: Israeli rabbi and politician who managed to survive being shot in the chest 4 times.

Glick is fairly young and made a full recovery.

• Like 2

On 01/01/2023 at 12:19, drol said:

The Class of 2023

Here's the list we were all waiting for! 30 brand new immortals who have demonstrated their attachment to life through continuous hospitalizations, strokes, heart attacks, bouts with COVID and so on. Well, let's begin:

15)Chiam See Tong (1935): Is this a fucking joke? The guy was a mummy back in 2015, severe stroke survivor and looked dead in 2019.

Chiam See Tong given an unique lifetime achievement award at a Red Dot United gala. Too ill to attend of course. He's suffered from Parkinson's for decades, health history of atleast three strokes (1989, 2008, 2009), hip injury (2013) and other ailments. 

On the other hand - from the 2022 Class - Wang Huo (heart attacks, pneumonia...also had an intracranial hemorrhage in 1983) apparently looks amazing:

wang.jpg.54349a673dc9bb8615e65aa1b89b178a.jpg

He's 99. His best friends are 94 and 108. I think they know something we mortals don't.

• Like 1

Photo of Ma Shitu yesterday. Bloodshot wye but still following his routine.

mashitu2.png (1.39MiB)

Yan Mingfu (1931-2023)

I offer myself as a hostage, mr. Reaper (Yan MIngfu trying to solve his issues with death)

Shoot him AND the Reaper! (Song Ping)

image.jpeg.b01dcda3d05bcb8ab2740d4a413a28d1.jpeg

Age at death: 91

Known health issues: Myasthenia gravis in 2002, liver disease in 2010, wheelchair bound and suffering from neurodegenerative illness since at least 2012, looked like a zombie in his last appearance in 2018.

Cause of death: Everything

Alignment: Good natured guy who offered himself as a hostage to Tian An Men students and pleaded not to shoot them. Of course his reward was being kicked off by every office, courtesy of his archnemesis Song Ping. Coming back to duties in the 2000s, he was a bit of a respected figure in his late years, often visited by Wen Jiabao. His death leaves fellow immortal Hu Qili as the only living cadre who opposed Tian An Men bloodbath.

• Like 7

Posting my 2024 suggestions (I expect 10-15 to be dead by 2024) list as I'm recovering from an infection and had a bit more time than usual on my hands. This time with less images.

Notes: Not included any of those names I suggested in June or last year (see page 12, includes the spoiler - for example Manmohan Singh, Josip Manolic, BM Ezrachi, Oscar Wyatt, Juhani Palmu, Than Shwe, Pasqual Maragall, Terekhova...) or those who've already been "promised" a spot on the list (Rabbi Kamenetsky, Joseph Lagu, Big Jiew, that Indian politician with a brain tumor and who else)

1. Shi Ping

ping.png.c85ad9477a11c772151b4742adfcd68f.png

Chinese local politician who survived serious conditions with covid, 40 degree celsius fever and bilateral pneumonia...at 110 (December to January) and later made a decent recovery, no longer needing oxygen or a feeding tube. He's been hospitalised for around 8 years and suffers from quite advanced dementia.

2. Ivan Krasko

krasko.png.833c722922c5910a80535e40d4f59aa3.png

Legendary Russian actor and "People's Artist" who survived serious conditions with covid and 45% damage of his lungs in 2020, has been hospitalised atleast ten times in the last two years, suffered two strokes after 90 (Sept 2021 and Jan 2023) and was on his deathbed with health complications twice last year. Now 92, nothing, not even death will stop him from finding another 20-year-old golddigger girlfriend.

3. Feng Zigen (1918-2024)

zigen.png.c333883ae406520044136dbf10c62fc7.png

Zhu De's bodyguard, least notable person on this list but deserves a mention due to his impressive health. Around new year he was hospitalised with covid, double pneumonia, bilateral pleural effusion, anemia, abnormal kidney and liver function, bacterial infection and hypoalbuminemia. He has had brain atrophy (dementia) and "intestine failure" for years now and looks healthy as shown in that image from this week. Also, he's 105.

4. Shigeo Nagashima

nagashima.png.4cb86401dae221429da46a44dc7dd21c.png

Long health history includes a massive stroke in 2004, aphasia, multiple hospitalisations since, another stroke in 2022 and again ill this year. Has looked very frail for years.

5. Jayanta Mahapatra (1928-2023)

mahapatra.png.621bdf9bbdb60bc20b25c4a2ab47aac8.png

Nearly died from an undisclosed very serious illness in 2006, hospitalised with covid in 2021, in ICU with intestinal problems in 2022 and on IV meds in 2023. DL Cup pick atleast three times as he always seems to get ill during the Cup.

6. Jamshid bin Abdullah of Zanzibar - Last Sultan of Zanzibar, a relic. He was reportedly near the end in 2020.

7. Gaston Flosse - French Polynesia's own version of Mahathir Mohamad, but a bit less controversial. Cardiac problems in 2009, emergency surgery in 2012, broken hip and surgery in 2013 and other hospitalisations. Again quite ill in 2023.

8. Raul Gil - Brazilian television presenter. Ill in 2012, in and out of ICU with hemothorax, lung problems, UTI and broken ribs following a fall in April-May 2020, again hospitalised in November 2020 with diverticulitis, oesophagus surgery in February 2023 and prostate surgery in May.

9. Françoise Hardy - French singer-songwriter. Lymphatic cancer in 2004, in coma in 2015, laryngeal cancer for years now and apparently had a major internal hemorrhage last year.

10. Aira Samulin 1927-2023 - Finnish entrepreneur, dance teacher and media personality. Cancer survivor, severe stroke in 2018 at 91 and missing events due to illness last year. Bounces back every time.

11. John Tembo 1932-2023 - Malawian politician during Hastings Banda's times and later Malawi Congress Party head until his retirement due to old age in 2013. Rumored dead in 2018 and very ill with a "prolonged illness" in 2019.

12. Akihiro Miwa - Japanese singer, actor, director, composer and drag queen. Survived Nagasaki, has suffered ailments related to radiation exposure since - retired multiple times due to ill health already over 30 years ago, chronic bronchitis in the 1970s, given three months to live in 1984, ill with "chronic illness" multiple times in the 1990s. Also had a severe stroke in 2019.

13. Tep Vong - Cambodian leading monk who survived Pol Pot's times and became an unconditional supporter of dictator Hun Sen. Critically ill with fall complications (and a series of strokes) in 2020 and his health has been very bad for years now. Looks like a corpse.

14. Maung Aye - Former Myanmar/Burma dictator Than Shwe's number two, suffered from cancer and alcoholism in the 2000s, stroke around 2005, massive stroke in 2012 that required treatment in Singapore and again very ill in 2018.

15. Princess Elizabeth of Tooro (Elizabeth Bagaaya Akiiki) - Ugandan royal, model and politician during Idi Amin's times. Critically ill with cancer complications in 2019, very ill again in 2021 apparently again with cancer complications.

16. Bapu Surat Singh Khalsa - Indian activist who was on hunger strike for 8 years, tubefed and hospitalised that whole time. Again went on a hunger strike to death early this year. How much does it take to kill a 90-year-old who wants to die?

17. Farouk Kaddoumi - Palestinian old guard politician, PLO political department head for decades who has been ill multiple times, most recently survived a serious illness and surgery in April.

18. Jayapataka Swami - ISKCON leader, only 74 and therefore the youngest on this list, but his health history is very impressive. Critically ill and unstable for months following a brain stem stroke and two brain bleeds (given a 1% survival) in 2008, underwent tracheotomy, UTI in 2010, leg infection in 2011, severe pneumonia + liver failure (possibly caused by Hepatitis C) in 2015, in ICU with fever in 2016, liver and kidney failure (and transplanted new liver, new kidneys) in 2018, surgery in 2019, covid and leg infection in 2021, blood clot in 2022, skin cancer in 2023.

19. Vil Mirzayanov - Russian Tatar chemist who was one of the creators of Novichok. Suffering from terminal cancer in...2018.

20. Keith Richards - Half of the world already calls him an immortal. Massive user of heroin, cocaine, mescaline, LSD, tuinal, alcohol, weed and whatever else. Has had health issues too including a subdural hematoma and brain surgery in 2006. Oh, and he'll be 80 in December.

21. Sajida Talfa - Saddam's widow, age somewhere between 85 and 88. Rumored dead in 2015, 2019, 2021 and 2022. Suffering from a long-term illness for a very long time now.

22. M Daud Kilau 1938-2023 - Malaysian crooner, very ill in 2020, survived critical conditions on ventilator due to pneumonia, pleural effusion, diabetes complications in 2022 and again very ill this year.

23. Abdel Rahman Abou Zahra - Egyptian actor. Yo-yoed in and out of hospital and ICU/critical conditions for months in 2022.

24. Abdullah the Butcher - Sudanese Canadian wrestler. Over 205kg (450lbs) at his largest, diabetes, alcohol use and chainsmoking, heart and kidney problems and of course being a show wrestler, how is he still alive at 82?

25. Enver Mamedov 1923-2023 - Azerbaijani/Soviet -Russian TV boss. Decrepit for ages and was on oxygen and bedbound at a Moscow presidential hospital in 2020.

26. Kim Yong-nam - North Korean politician who has been rumored ill multiple times and looked dead last year.

27. Ray Reardon - Pulmonary embolism, can't remember what else health conditions but he was very ill in the 2000s and rumored very ill last year. At 90 seems very old for a snooker player.

28. Yael Dayan - Israeli politician COPD diagnosed in 2007, lung surgery around 2009, critically ill with complications and underwent tracheotomy in 2020, rumored dead this year.

29. Vic Seixas - Tennis player, US, in 24/7 care for years now and almost 100.

30. Shibu Soren - Indian Jharkland CM...Ailing already in 2009, CKD, on oxygen with covid in 2020, kidney infection, pneumonia and pulmonary edema in 2023.

(Others I thought of but didn't make this list - Mani Kumar Chetri, Stênio Garcia, Shecky Greene 1926-2023, Cardinals Kelvin Felix, do Nascimento, and Darmaatmadja, Ayatollahs Hamedani and Shubairi Zanjani and age frauds Swami Sivananda and Pappammal)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee hospitalised in ICU with respiratory failure.

Yeah, once again.

• Like 2

On 29/07/2023 at 15:08, arghton said:

Already stabilized according to other Communist Party India Marxist leaders.

Rabin Deb saying he's "stable and improving" didn't age well as he's now critical on invasive ventilation...apparently his creatinine levels are getting higher, his kidneys are failing.

Edit: There's some new information - apparently he suffers from the respiratory pump failure (also known as respiratory failure type II, large amount of cases caused by COPD that he has) bilateral pneumonia, tracheitis and "kidney malfunction". He's on 100% ventilator support but "haemodynamically stable".

• Like 1