Deadornot

Who are the immortals?

Mangosuthu Buthelezi (1928-2023)

"Have I already been discharged?" (Buthelezi's first words at the Pearly Gates)

"Oh, no! Anyway..." (King Misuzulu on Gatsha's untimely death)

Mangosuthu Buthelezi has died | News24

Age at death: 95

Known health issues: Diabetes, hospitalised with severe COVID in 2020, got COVID again in 2021 when it was killing half of his Zulu colleagues (among whom king Goodwill Zwelithini), hospitalised several times in 2021, hospitalised in January 2022 with high blood pressure. Hospitalised in July 2023, discharged, rehospitalised, received surgery, in ICU for a month, out of ICU, back in ICU, burnt alive with water, discharged.

Cause of death: Poison... ehm, probably bone cancer or something like that, which was never explicitly revealed.

Alignment: Hugely controversial figure, IFP founder and CM of a puppet state for 17 years during the apartheid. Main rival of Nelson Mandela and clash between their supporters led to 12.000 deaths. Ironically, he was the moderate one. Spent recent years grappling with the Zulu royal family.

• Like 11

On 16/08/2023 at 10:25, drol said:

Very failing health: Kabosu 

Kabosu apparently has canine dementia and is also undergoing rehabilitation/some kind of therapy for a recent illness.

• Like 4

Giorgio Napolitano (1925-2023)

"È con viva e vibrante soddisfazione che vi comunico il mio decesso..."

"DEEEEEEADDDD" (Every noob on his thread days before his death)

image.jpeg.76a8274e6cd4cae7e4e61a741c2a8fff.jpeg

Age at death: 98

Known health issues: Aortic dissection in 2018, hospitalised in 2021, hospitalised in critical condition and underwent surgery in 2022, hospitalised for months in 2023, lingered two days after being taken off life support.

Cause of death: Don't know, it was so sudden.

Alignment: The chameleon of Italian politics, young fascist during the war, hardline communist who applauded the repression in Hungary in 1956, first commie to go in the US (under the King of Immortals Jimmy Carter), minister of the interior, then president. And a strong president, who actually took choices! A nemesis for Silvio Berlusconi, the cat and the mouse, for a decade. The only president to be often considered stronger and more influential than the sitting PM and the first to be reelected for a second term. Like Silvio, a giant of Italian politics for good or bad.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, drol said:

Known health issues: Aortic dissection in 2018, hospitalised in 2021, hospitalised in critical condition and underwent surgery in 2022, hospitalised for months in 2023, lingered two days after being taken off life support.

Alignment: The chameleon of Italian politics, young fascist during the war, hardline communist who applauded the repression in Hungary in 1956, first commie to go in the US (under the King of Immortals Jimmy Carter), minister of the interior, then president. And a strong president, who actually took choices! A nemesis for Silvio Berlusconi, the cat and the mouse, for a decade. The only president to be often considered stronger and more influential than the sitting PM and the first to be reelected for a second term. Like Silvio, a giant of Italian politics for good or bad.

all hail to the king.

2 hours ago, drol said:

I don't think a guy who was apart of the italian partisan movement was a 'young fascist'

9 hours ago, Tango854 said:

I don't think a guy who was apart of the italian partisan movement was a 'young fascist'

He joined "Gruppi Universitari Fascisti" (GUF) in 1944, so yes, he was a young fascist. The number of partisans in Italy increased by a ten-fold factor from 24 to 25 April 1945, concomitantly with the decrease of fascists. Napolitano was never a partisan.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drol said:

He joined "Gruppi Universitari Fascisti" (GUF) in 1944, so yes, he was a young fascist. The number of partisans in Italy increased by a ten-fold factor from 24 to 25 April 1945, concomitantly with the decrease of fascists. Napolitano was never a partisan.

Fair.

On 31/08/2023 at 21:27, arghton said:

Saalumarada Thimmakka reportedly discharged, but in a bedbound ghoulish state:

Saalumarada re-hospitalised with fever on tuesday but again discharged by ambulance and in 24/7 care at home now.

Age somewhere around 95 with COPD, osteoporosis and a long health history. I'd say she'll...recover fully in around a week. 

• Haha 1

On 29/09/2023 at 00:27, arghton said:

Age somewhere around 95 with COPD, osteoporosis and a long health history. I'd say she'll...recover fully in around a week. 

Saalumarada Thimmakka re-hospitalised again with respiratory failure but...recovering and to be discharged in a few days.

Edit: Noticed that Ingrid Arvidsson, antepenultimate survivor of the 10/10 pool from 2016, died a few months ago not mentioned on the forum when that happened. Her death left Fauja and Saalumarada the last surviving picks there. Judging on her condition I'd say Fauja will end up the last survivor.

• Haha 1

In ICU, paralyzed, swollen legs and feet... may be recovering, but is definitely circling the drain.

20 hours ago, arghton said:

Saalumarada Thimmakka re-hospitalised again with respiratory failure but...recovering and to be discharged in a few days.

Edit: Noticed that Ingrid Arvidsson, antepenultimate survivor of the 10/10 pool from 2016, died a few months ago not mentioned on the forum when that happened. Her death left Fauja and Saalumarada the last surviving picks there. Judging on her condition I'd say Fauja will end up the last survivor.

Saalumarada Thimmakka rumoured dead, but instead "healthy" as you can see in the video shared by her adopted son.

• Like 1

The Sun covers Thimmakka's hospitalization.

All over the news, but still "not in danger".

On 29/08/2023 at 14:23, arghton said:

Nikolay Drozdov hospitalised AGAIN, this time apparently with minor infection and "possible oncological diseases". He thinks he might have skin cancer or prostate cancer (or both).

Edit: apparently also underwent intestinal surgery.

Nicolas Drozdov hospitalized again, he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thimmakka undergoes angioplasty.

Still not in danger, though "critical".

• Like 1

That was a half truth.

She suffered a heart attack yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Thimmakka reportedly on life support, but "minimally invasive", so still nothing to worry about.

Thimmakka stable and steadily recovering...

Speaking to DH, Thimmakka, said that she was feeling ‘okay’. “I am eating well here and talking to everyone. Everything is good here, I feel better.”

Adopted son says “Last time we were in the hospital, some plants died due to no water. We couldn’t let that happen again so I have been checking in over the phone”

"112" (~95), COPD, heart attack + surgery two days ago, spinal fracture some months ago. I can't wrap my mind around how they seem to think she'll make a full recovery. 

• Haha 1

Let's get over it. This is not her time yet again.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2023 at 07:25, drol said:

Recently survived hospitalization: Violeta Chamorro (brain tumor, dementia, stroke), Mahathir Mohamad (infection), Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee (COPD, extreme respiratory failure)

Violeta Chamorro transferred to Costa Rica by air ambulance for advanced treatment of a serious illness. In "delicate but stable" condition but that's the same words they used to describe her condition after a medical procedure in July.

Brain tumors, severe osteoporosis, spinal infections, advanced dementia, massive stroke in 2018. She's been in ill health for, what, 25 years and extremely ill for the last 5-10 years, god knows how she's still alive.

• Haha 1

Actually there's no immediate illness for Chamorro, she just reached her exiled children.

It's the phasis everyone of them has somehow miracolously recovered from their ailments and no one is in danger.

VS Achuthanandan turns the big 100 today.

Ma Shitu still in good health, though he recently "fell ill and his memory declined".

• Like 5

16 hours ago, drol said:

VS Achuthanandan turns the big 100 today.

Ma Shitu still in good health, though he recently "fell ill and his memory declined".

Something new here on Achuthanandan's health. As last year the celebration is "family-only", as he's very frail and ill and a small infection could kill him. He needs help walking as his right leg hasn't worked since his massive stroke some years ago but he can move aided (not completely wheelchairbound, apparently), sit outside, watch TV, read newspapers and can "hear and understand things" despite earlier news has said he has some form of post-stroke dementia.

The most interesting part is that his son says "after covid there was a situation where he was admitted in ICU due to major infections". I don't think they made that public unless it refers to his critical condition hospitalisation in 2021.

Gaositwe Chiepe's turned 101 today, I can't find any new images of her. She looked ultrafrail on her 100th a year ago, might be too ill to make appearances now...

October might end up the first month this year with none of these people dying. Even with Saalumarada and the more or less 15 perennially ill listers (ZHANG LIXIONG, Yang You, Sheikh Salem, Rongji, Chamorro, Qili, Chiam See Tong etc) in the hospital none of them seem urgently ill. 

I think he refers to the 2021 hospitalization.

There is an impressive calm on every front right now, wouldn't be surprised if there are no more deaths for 2023.

If Kabosu survives the year, they're on a level with Zsa Zsa Gabor. No update for more than a week now.

Kabosu's looked absolutely ghastly in the recent images, apparently fully unable to walk but was "improving" somewhat 11 days ago. That Arabic instagram account that has reported the death of that very old Iraqi sheikh a month ago asked for "prayers to prolong Sheikh Salem Al-Ali's life" a week or two ago but his daughter hasn't sent anything except Palestine-related posts on her account recently. 

I think a "semi-suprising" death could happen, maybe one of these 4:

Cesar Virata (I think he hasn't made appearances recently, used to be very active)

Zou Yu (not mentioned nearly ever anywhere here, oedema survivor who has been very quiet for a year or two)

TD Lee (it's been, what, 4 years since his last appearance? Also, 97 next month. Could he suprise us and die before CN Yang?)

Paulo Maluf (dementia, other ailments, wheelchairbound and very frail-looking earlier this year)

I also still don't think Zhang Lixiong will make it to his 110th. 

EDIT: Here's Virata this week.

virataot.png.3a3cc8a8a1588273c558121f9faa365e.png

I have no idea how he keeps gaining more and more weight all the time at 92.

• Like 1