Deadornot

Who are the immortals?

On 29/07/2023 at 21:58, arghton said:

Rabin Deb saying he's "stable and improving" didn't age well as he's now critical on invasive ventilation...apparently his creatinine levels are getting higher, his kidneys are failing.

Edit: There's some new information - apparently he suffers from the respiratory pump failure (also known as respiratory failure type II, large amount of cases caused by COPD that he has) bilateral pneumonia, tracheitis and "kidney malfunction". He's on 100% ventilator support but "haemodynamically stable".

Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee stable, conscious, responding to treatment and has no fever.

Usual miracle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, drol said:

Buddhadeb off life support.

Buddhadeb will be discharged shortly.

• Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, drol said:

When I joined the forum a while back now (was it 2017 or 2018 ?), people were already talking about him being hospitalized and "not having long left". I added him to my AO list the year after thinking he would score some points. It has been 5 years ago... 

• Like 1

Buddhadeb asking to be discharged. Apparently he is off or will soon be off BiPAP too.

This quite outclasses Ezrachi, Krasko, Buthelezi, Chamorro, Le Pen and Manohar Joshi.

I'm amazed Kabosu is still alive. A dog year is like 7 human years, so that's going into Zsa Zsa territory. 

However, recent updates weren't that good. I sadly think we might be getting some sad news within the next month.

• Sad 1

Over all the candidates of the official list since the beginning, Who are you considering the top immortals ? Gabor and Suharto ? Who else ?

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Over all the candidates of the official list since the beginning, Who are you considering the top immortals?

Clive Dunn, Ariel Sharon, General Jaruzelski, Pope John Paul II, Mickey Rooney, Ronnie Biggs, Fidel Castro, and Billy Graham.

To keep things on topic, a birthday celebration was held for Chief Raoni Metuktire at an Indigenous summit last week, where he discussed his own mortality. Raoni also named his successor: a nephew who will predecease him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, drol said:

Buthelezi's condition has not improved and prayer sessions are being held.:pop:

Buthelezi reportedly fighting for his life now...

7 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Over all the candidates of the official list since the beginning, Who are you considering the top immortals ? Gabor and Suharto ? Who else ?

DILIP KUMAR!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Ariel Sharon , Al-Megrahi , Valerie Harper ,Clive Dunn , Ronnie Biggs and Kirk Douglas .

Jimmy Carter is the most iconic who is still alive in terms of notability and inability to die so far. Buddhabeb is the biggest coffin tease going though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sean said:

Ariel Sharon , Al-Megrahi , Valerie Harper ,Clive Dunn , Ronnie Biggs and Kirk Douglas .

Jimmy Carter is the most iconic who is still alive in terms of notability and inability to die so far. Buddhabeb is the biggest coffin tease going though.

Al Megrahi always remind me of the Megrahi/Robin Gibb sweepstake which damn near ended in a photo finish. (And despite being sad at Gibb's death as a Bee Gees fan, Reaper's quip about him cracked me up!)

"On a day when a man who caused much pain and suffering for people throughout the world is taken from us by cancer, it's a little sad to see him steal the headlines of the death of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi." :lol:

Dunn was legendary - to the point Mrs Msc woke me up from a painkiller induced sleep to tell me the news! 

@Joey Russ sent me a message to tell me Kirk Douglas was dead and my response was "Yeah right, nice try..."

But yeah, it's Zsa Zsa Gabor for me. She was desperately ill throughout the 00s. She had the last rites given to her in Summer 2010. She then outlived DL pick after DL pick. There was people healthy in Summer 2010 who were successful DL hits before Gabor died in December 2016. The reactions to her death on this forum say it all:

And a fair shout out to Joanne Woodward. We were told she had severe dementia and was house ridden 16 years ago. Since then, her seemingly much healthier and A list star husband Paul Newman got cancer and died, she's become a DDP and DL regular, she's been in end stage dementia for nearly a decade and on she continues. I don't get how and tbh I don't envy her.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, msc said:

Al Megrahi always remind me of the Megrahi/Robin Gibb sweepstake which damn near ended in a photo finish. (And despite being sad at Gibb's death as a Bee Gees fan, Reaper's quip about him cracked me up!)

"On a day when a man who caused much pain and suffering for people throughout the world is taken from us by cancer, it's a little sad to see him steal the headlines of the death of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi." :lol:

Dunn was legendary - to the point Mrs Msc woke me up from a painkiller induced sleep to tell me the news! 

@Joey Russ sent me a message to tell me Kirk Douglas was dead and my response was "Yeah right, nice try..."

But yeah, it's Zsa Zsa Gabor for me. She was desperately ill throughout the 00s. She had the last rites given to her in Summer 2010. She then outlived DL pick after DL pick. There was people healthy in Summer 2010 who were successful DL hits before Gabor died in December 2016. The reactions to her death on this forum say it all:

And a fair shout out to Joanne Woodward. We were told she had severe dementia and was house ridden 16 years ago. Since then, her seemingly much healthier and A list star husband Paul Newman got cancer and died, she's become a DDP and DL regular, she's been in end stage dementia for nearly a decade and on she continues. I don't get how and tbh I don't envy her.

Yeah I forgot about Woodward epic staying power. Prunella Scales must be getting close to immortal classification.Dementia since around 2000 and still making public appearances.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2023 at 01:09, Lafaucheuse said:

Some not mentioned yet...

Le Duc Anh 1920-2019: He had two massive strokes in the 1990s, allegedly he was very near death both times. 20 years later he suffered a massive stroke at around 97 and was in critical condition, but lived another year.

The sri sri sri shivakumara guy, can't remember his name or ailments at the moment.

Münir Özkul 1925-2018: Suffered from COPD and dementia for two decades before his death and called "male version of Zsa Zsa Gabor" on this forum in 2015. 

Bob Dole. Balbir Singh Sr. Sumner Redstone. Li Rui. Satya Mohan Joshi. Saleh Ajeery.

Stanley Ho 1921-2020: Fall and brain surgery in 2009 and later suffered a severe stroke. Kept alive for years on dialysis with kidney failure, dementia and parkinson's and his heart stopped atleast once during treatment.

To me the "top" immortals living currently on the list (in addition to Carter, Bhuddhadeb, Chamorro and Woodward) are Bob Barker who's had strokes, falls, heart surgeries, cancers etc, Tin Oo who has been ill for a decade, survived a massive stroke in 2017 and was on oxygen with covid last year, VS Achuthanandan who has survived organ failures atleast two times and had a severe stroke at 95 and survived covid last year, Ma Shitu who was "terminally ill" in 2004 and survived lung cancer at around 105, Khamtai Siphandone who's been ill for decades and wasn't expected to survive a massive stroke he had in 2016, Saalumarada Thimmakka who's suffered from COPD for over 12 years, broken hip and other health complications and was in hospital nearly every year between 2012 and 2021, Sheikh Salem Al-Ali Al-Sabah who has been obese his whole life, had a tracheotomy in 2007 due to gastrointestinal perforation complications, hypoxia and a cardiac arrest and spent more than two years in hospital since and has been in and out of hospital since and in critical conditions atleast twice and now also Zhang Lixiong who survived being shot a number of times during the long march, was "comatose" in 1936, has been suffering from dementia for atleast five years, spent a year in hospital with a serious illness around 2020-2022 and was in ICU in March. Maybe Henry Kissinger too considering he's had a lot of heart troubles including triple bypass in 1983, heart attack in 2000 and other heart surgeries in 2005, 2009 and 2014.

And last but not least...Mahathir Mohamad. He has a long and complicated health history as far as I know starting from a heart attack and bypass surgery in 1989. He was in ICU for a month with massive heart problems and pneumonia in 2007 and had suffered two heart attacks the year before. And he was at the verge of dying around January 2022. However he's very different to all the ones mentioned before as he's 98 and still able to regularly attend events and walk without aid despite all his health troubles.

Here are the upcoming birthdays of August and September. Who won't make it?

9 August - Mario Zagallo (92)

12 August - Queen Sirikit (91)

27 August - Mangosuthu Buthelezi (95)

29 August - Ashi Tashi Dorji (100)

? August - Wang Hanbin (98)

1 September - Seiji Ozawa (88)

3 September - Paulo Maluf (92)

17 September - Francesco Merloni (98)

October seems to have more immortal birthdays than any other month, so I won't add it here. Many of them will be dead by then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, msc said:

I think people are expecting Joanne to go this year because she’s the same age as Barbara Walters and Irene Papas when they died, and those two also had dementia for a while. It’s hard to picture her around next year, but we’ll see.

Regarding Zsa Zsa, I think the only reason she lasted so long was because her mother lived to 100. She was literally carried by her mother’s genetics. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bfc said:

I think people are expecting Joanne to go this year because she’s the same age as Barbara Walters and Irene Papas when they died, and those two also had dementia for a while. It’s hard to picture her around next year, but we’ll see.

Regarding Zsa Zsa, I think the only reason she lasted so long was because her mother lived to 100. She was literally carried by her mother’s genetics. 

That and her husband was cruel enough to put a feeding tube in her at least 5 years before she died rather than let nature take its course.Putting a woman who was bedbound ,had one leg ,was partially paralysed , had suffered a stroke and also had severe dementia alive artificially is terribly cruel.Most people would not want to be kept alive in such a state and I struggle to believe someone as vibrant and full of life like Zsa Zsa would have wanted to live in such a diminished state.He didn't even sign a DNR on her behalf so when she did arrest you can bet all her ribs were broken and both her lungs were punctured in the process.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sean said:

That and her husband was cruel enough to put a feeding tube in her at least 5 years before she died rather than let nature take its course.Putting a woman who was bedbound ,had one leg ,was partially paralysed , had suffered a stroke and also had severe dementia alive artificially is terribly cruel.Most people would not want to be kept alive in such a state and I struggle to believe someone as vibrant and full of life like Zsa Zsa would have wanted to live in such a diminished state.He didn't even sign a DNR on her behalf so when she did arrest you can bet all her ribs were broken and both her lungs were punctured in the process.

Yikes! Her daughter hated him and fought him for years, but no one could have expected Francesca would predecease her mother.

Did the people here ever figure out Zsa Zsa's official age?

I'd like to mention some different candidates here that weren't on the list, but are probably among the most immortal in their respective field of motorsports. None of these candidates are alive, just so you know.

Niki Lauda - Besides narrowly surviving a crash in 1976, he had lung and kidney issues more or less throughout the last decade of his life which included two kidney transplants, a lung transplant, dialysis since around 2017 and several hospitalizations in 2018-2019 before his death.

Stirling Moss - Fell down a lift shaft in 2010, severe chest infection in 2016 and was hospitalized for 134 days, declined even further after his retirement from public life and ultimately died in 2020 after being ill for years.

Gerry Ashmore - I don't know much info about this but from a comment @Octopus of Odstock mentioned that he had a continuous battle with prostate cancer for 19 years, I'd say that's up there in immortality.

Carlos Reutemann - Liver cancer and was almost constantly in hospital or ICU in the last year of life due to dehydration and multiple intestinal hemorrhages.

Can't think of any more at the moment, OoO might have more some more names in the motorsport world who classify as immortal.

And then you have the ones who are alive. Michael Schumacher, Cale Yarborough, Alex Zanardi, Fred Lorenzen and possibly some future entrants in Henri Pescarolo, Parnelli Jones and so on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

I'd like to mention some different candidates here that weren't on the list, but are probably among the most immortal in their respective field of motorsports. None of these candidates are alive, just so you know.

Stirling Moss - Fell down a lift shaft in 2010, severe chest infection in 2016 and was hospitalized for 134 days, declined even further after his retirement from public life and ultimately died in 2020 after being ill for years.

Moss was on the list from 2018 to his death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Niki Lauda - Besides narrowly surviving a crash in 1976, he had lung and kidney issues more or less throughout the last decade of his life which included two kidney transplants, a lung transplant, dialysis since around 2017 and several hospitalizations in 2018-2019 before his death.

Gerry Ashmore - I don't know much info about this but from a comment @Octopus of Odstock mentioned that he had a continuous battle with prostate cancer for 19 years, I'd say that's up there in immortality.

Carlos Reutemann - Liver cancer and was almost constantly in hospital or ICU in the last year of life due to dehydration and multiple intestinal hemorrhages.

Can't think of any more at the moment, OoO might have more some more names in the motorsport world who classify as immortal.

And then you have the ones who are alive. Michael Schumacher, Cale Yarborough, Alex Zanardi, Fred Lorenzen and possibly some future entrants in Henri Pescarolo, Parnelli Jones and so on.

Pescarolo had a stroke but otherwise he's been in alright health. I wouldnt rank him quite in the immortal ranks.

For a man of his immense bulk who is approaching 90 years of age, I'm surprised AJ Foyt has not had more health challenges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Pescarolo had a stroke but otherwise he's been in alright health. I wouldnt rank him quite in the immortal ranks.

For a man of his immense bulk who is approaching 90 years of age, I'm surprised AJ Foyt has not had more health challenges.

Oh right I forgot about A.J Foyt, I'd rank him among immortals as well just because besides the health issues and heart surgery, he survived killer bee attacks twice.

5 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Oh right I forgot about A.J Foyt, I'd rank him among immortals as well just because besides the health issues and heart surgery, he survived killer bee attacks twice.

I never dreamed, that it would turn out to be the bees. They've always been our friend.

I might get some cutback to this which i totally understand, but i would like to suggest for the 2024 list Dianne Feinstein she just ceded her right to attorney to her daughter she looks like shes on her way out after her battle with shingles. I forgot to add during her battle with shingles she also got encephalitis. This is a before and after having shingles, looks like she aged about 5 years.

NYPICHPDPICT000010907495.png

42 minutes ago, msc said:

I never dreamed, that it would turn out to be the bees. They've always been our friend.

55 minutes ago, Toast said:

:lol:

Still prefer The Swarm. ;)

• Like 1