Lady Die

Crew Of USS Enterprise

Found an incredible interview with Shat from a year ago in which he muses on his mortality. The piece has the oh-so-Shat title of...

"William Shatner Refuses to Die before Driving Cross-Country on a Motorcycle with Flamethrowers"

http://www.menshealth.com/guy-wisdom/william-shatner-interview

:D

While they've not formally been included in this thread yet (probably due to their age rather than the sacrilegious shitness of their movies), and while I know it has been noted elsewhere in this forum, this seems the most obvious place to note the death of Anton Yelchin, a.k.a. Chekhov in the New Trek films.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36572649

Who would have guessed Walter Koenig would outlive his replacement?

Any takers for Nichelle Nichols over Zoe Saldana, Shatner over Chris Pine or George Takei over John Cho?

• Like 3

While they've not formally been included in this thread yet (probably due to their age rather than the sacrilegious shitness of their movies), and while I know it has been noted elsewhere in this forum, this seems the most obvious place to note the death of Anton Yelchin, a.k.a. Chekhov in the New Trek films.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36572649

Who would have guessed Walter Koenig would outlive his replacement?

Any takers for Nichelle Nichols over Zoe Saldana, Shatner over Chris Pine or George Takei over John Cho?

Shatner will piss over Pine. He'll live forever...

• Like 1

While they've not formally been included in this thread yet (probably due to their age rather than the sacrilegious shitness of their movies), ...

Bit of both, actually.

BTW, the next new one, "Star Trek: Beyond" is due to be released in a month's time. It has had virtually no marketing so far apart from two trailers (one dreadful, one very generic and bland) which has led to some rumours that it is possibly even more terrible than the last two.

Apparently, though, Chekov is going to have a bigger role in the film as he is supposedly paired with Kirk throughout most of the running time. The actor's death might drive up ticket sales a la Ledger and the Dark Knight. If so, it might just save an allegedly troubled production!

While they've not formally been included in this thread yet (probably due to their age rather than the sacrilegious shitness of their movies), ...

Bit of both, actually.

BTW, the next new one, "Star Trek: Beyond" is due to be released in a month's time. It has had virtually no marketing so far apart from two trailers (one dreadful, one very generic and bland) which has led to some rumours that it is possibly even more terrible than the last two.

Apparently, though, Chekov is going to have a bigger role in the film as he is supposedly paired with Kirk throughout most of the running time. The actor's death might drive up ticket sales a la Ledger and the Dark Knight. If so, it might just save an allegedly troubled production!

I've seen a trailer at the cinema the other week. I have a horrible feeling that - continuing their shameless ripping off of their predecessors - this film looks suspiciously like there'd be a case for blowing up the (original) Enterprise due to hostile boarding. Where have I seen that before...? Oh, that's right, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. Remind me again, what number film is this in the new series? And following on neatly from the word-for-word remake of The Wrath of Khan too, how convenient...

I've been forced to see the first two by a friend who swears they're 'not that bad' but is not a Trekkie like myself. I sighed my way through the entirety of Into Darkness, and even quoted a few of the lines myself before they came up, it was so pathetic.

I was wondering how this death screws up their plans. Methinks they'll re-cast, I can't see that they'll just write out the Russki.

Did anyone see this pic from San Diego Comic Con and thought Scott Bakula looked a bit off.

trek_013_t933x640.jpg?7ddb51df3221cac962

He always had a tendency to turn to wood once a camera was pointed at him. Shatner looks on form though.

Jeri Ryan looks good even though she's not wearing her 7 of 9 uniform. I'd slip her a length. :lol:

trek.jpg

I thought she looked better in her Quantum Leap days personally...

b5f959030e1a505ddaed27ea57837e3f.jpg

• Like 1

Did anyone see this pic from San Diego Comic Con and thought Scott Bakula looked a bit off.

Maybe I'm being thick but who's the dude on the left..?

Maybe I'm being thick but who's the dude on the left..?

Writer and producer Bryan Fuller

Bit of both, actually.

I've seen a trailer at the cinema the other week. I have a horrible feeling that - continuing their shameless ripping off of their predecessors - this film looks suspiciously like there'd be a case for blowing up the (original) Enterprise due to hostile boarding. Where have I seen that before...? Oh, that's right, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. Remind me again, what number film is this in the new series? And following on neatly from the word-for-word remake of The Wrath of Khan too, how convenient...

I've been forced to see the first two by a friend who swears they're 'not that bad' but is not a Trekkie like myself. I sighed my way through the entirety of Into Darkness, and even quoted a few of the lines myself before they came up, it was so pathetic.

I was wondering how this death screws up their plans. Methinks they'll re-cast, I can't see that they'll just write out the Russki.

Trek may actually be dead - at least in its current incarnation. The new film has stalled badly at the box office and is in danger of not making back its production costs. It has failed in the three major overseas markets where it is popular (the UK, Australia and, to a lesser extent, Germany) and whether it breaks even or not now depends on the emerging Chinese market. Unfortunately, it is being released a lot later in China, and with piracy rampant there, many fans will have already seen it before it hits the cinema.

Abrams Trek IV has already been greenlit but it can easily be cancelled if this current film makes a loss.

Also, Paramount Studios themselves are apparently in a spot of bother as they don't have many other major franchises left and they have been having a few bad years. Trek's failure to bring in money will just exacerbate things for them.

That said, there is also apparently some new Star Trek television show in the works. If the film is a dud I am not sure if the television show will be cancelled as it is apparently being made by a different production company.

The new TV show wont be cancelled as they've already signed the Netflix deal on it. The new film suffered from being released in the UK in a heatwave, but even then its already the 17th highest grossing box office of the year in the UK and is likely to be close to the top ten by next update, which doesn't strike me as too bad for a niche genre film. There have been failed Trek films in the past (Star Trek V, Insurrection) and they've still made newer films.

Not a fan. I guess these films do well off people going to see them over and over again ala Lord of the Rings.

I think every one in the past ultimately made a profit. The worst performer was Nemesis, after which it was cancelled prior to this reboot.

If this film fails to even make a profit they may pull the plug and try again with another reboot in 7-10 years. Another option is that they keep trying to build the franchise's appeal and persist with another film after this misstep. As noted above, Paramount are apparently in some financial trouble alredy and they don't own other big commercial franchises so they might need to persist with Trek since it is all they've got. This would ultimately mean Trek continues to become an even more dumbed-down action series than it has already been under Abrams. Either way, I'd say the future isn't too rosy at the moment.

I don't know how bad Paramount's alleged troubles are as I couldn't find much substantial info online and it would be rare for a major studio to collapse these days since they spread investments out to minimise risk to some degree but if all their properties are struggling then things could become interesting.

Death Notice for Hagan Beggs, Belfast born Canadian actor who played Lt. Hansen in The Menagerie, part of the original series, and an additional helmsman role in another episode. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theprovince/obituary.aspx?n=hagan-beggs&pid=181444012

Other works here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0066732/

Just came across this. It is an old article but it was feared by police that Trekkies could turn on society or start a suicide cult!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11611086/Secret-files-reveal-police-feared-that-Trekkies-could-turn-on-society.html

Not sure who is more cranky: the Trekkies or the police. Weird, the whole lot of them.

This is what Sally Kellerman (who played Dr Elizabeth Dehner) looks like today:

MV5BMjEwMTgzODAyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjgw

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 23:42, time said:

Bruce Hyde, who appeared as Lt Riley in two episodes of the original Star Trek, and was latterly a professor of communication studies at SCSU has died aged 74.

See him here

Another memorable role in that episode was that of Lt. Joe Tormolen, who was played by Stewart Moss. Moss died on September 13th but seemed to go unreported on these forums.

Anyhow, here's his famous speech before he stabs himself with a butter knife in 'The Naked Time'.