Jump to content
football_fan

Dead Drummers

Recommended Posts

Just now, Joey Russ said:

That’s the second one after Neil Peart this year. A few years too soon I guess...

Yeah, more bummer than drummer!

 

Ahead of your time....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2020 at 19:35, Skinny kiltrunner said:

How does someone who has been active and fairly prominent in the music industry for 46 years end up needing a GoFundMe for 10k? 

MAhxOeY6u5uVPdlSoz.gif

 

 

Most of the misery comes down to contracts - people with little power in a negotiation sign deals that trade off the costs of making them famous with future royalties (meaning basically if they start making serious money they pretty soon discover the contract obliges them to give it all to the record company or - these days - the management company that handles tours). Shit if you have a short term pop career. Those who've made serious money have survived long enough to learn. So - for example - Genesis are definitely NOT coming back because they're skint. They were skint decades ago and couldn't at first understand why they had chart albums and small royalty cheques, when they realized exactly how much it was costing to record those prog rock anthems they got smart. When they jumped ship for a new record contract they sank the advance into their own studio saving the studio costs, then when the albums shifted industrial quantities they went on massive tours to milk the fans and slept soundly knowing other people were booked into the Genesis studio and paying to be there. The moral being, most of those who get minted do so because they learn to behave like the people who took a lot of money from them in the early days. 

 

Fairly sure we' had this chat over a decade ago somewhere hereabouts!

 

David Crosby - btw - had a choice about taking up freebasing as a hobby, so arguably less deserving of sympathy than the two guys from Bros who were - according to their recently deceased ex-manager - "not the brightest," and were skint largely because they didn't understand the difference between gross and net income until it was too late. And, those two (three at the start) were always likely to have a short pop career with a few big hits.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

 

 

Most of the misery comes down to contracts - people with little power in a negotiation sign deals that trade off the costs of making them famous with future royalties (meaning basically if they start making serious money they pretty soon discover the contract obliges them to give it all to the record company or - these days - the management company that handles tours). Shit if you have a short term pop career. Those who've made serious money have survived long enough to learn. So - for example - Genesis are definitely NOT coming back because they're skint. They were skint decades ago and couldn't at first understand why they had chart albums and small royalty cheques, when they realized exactly how much it was costing to record those prog rock anthems they got smart. When they jumped ship for a new record contract they sank the advance into their own studio saving the studio costs, then when the albums shifted industrial quantities they went on massive tours to milk the fans and slept soundly knowing other people were booked into the Genesis studio and paying to be there. The moral being, most of those who get minted do so because they learn to behave like the people who took a lot of money from them in the early days. 

 

Fairly sure we' had this chat over a decade ago somewhere hereabouts!

 

David Crosby - btw - had a choice about taking up freebasing as a hobby, so arguably less deserving of sympathy than the two guys from Bros who were - according to their recently deceased ex-manager - "not the brightest," and were skint largely because they didn't understand the difference between gross and net income until it was too late. And, those two (three at the start) were always likely to have a short pop career with a few big hits.

 

 

They must have thought it was Goss and net income. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2020 at 17:22, Joey Russ said:

A gofundme has now been set up for Banali to pay his medical bills

Frankie Banali hospitalised, but seems well enough to survive the hospitalization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comprehensive Banali update:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/quiet-riot-cancels-arkansas-concert-due-to-serious-health-concerns/

 

He battles an infection "along with several procedures that need to be addressed". He also lost his hair after a change in the chemo drugs, i.e. the initial treatment didn't work (anymore).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SwiftlyVague said:

Pete Carr reportedly dead according to twitter at the age of 70.

 

 

Not really a drummer, probably better to move this to the dead pop stars thread or something like that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banali 6 days ago after being released from Hospital following pancreatitis and another infection as well as "another issue" ":skill2:

106288930_10217217768812568_6644051917934101859_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mickey McGee, a drummer who played for Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne and Warren Zevon, died June 20th of COVID complications. His death is being reported today (July 22nd).

 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/07/22/mickey-mcgee-phoenix-drummer-linda-ronstadt-goose-creek-sympohny/5481339002/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

At 52, we have lost Tony Costanza, who was in Machine Head, Crowbar, Seinfeld and Who's the Boss?

Taxi for Harry Mac!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/07/2020 at 11:31, Sean said:

Banali 6 days ago after being released from Hospital following pancreatitis and another infection as well as "another issue" ":skill2:

106288930_10217217768812568_6644051917934101859_o.jpg

Banali was in the hospital for another three weeks, during which he also suffered a stroke. 
Hm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Frankie Banali dead at 68.

No surprise he QO’s, The Sun has come in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joey Russ said:

No surprise he QO’s, The Sun has come in

 

After Colin Meads, Stefan Karl Stefannson and Fred Rister, this is the 4th straight year a big DDP death has happened on the 20th or 21st of August.

 

The sort of stats I bet you all love. Hah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, msc said:

 

After Colin Meads, Stefan Karl Stefannson and Fred Rister, this is the 4th straight year a big DDP death has happened on the 20th or 21st of August.

 

The sort of stats I bet you all love. Hah.

Actually seems to be the 5th year in a row. Denise Marshall also died on the 21st, so yeah...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joey Russ said:

Actually seems to be the 5th year in a row. Denise Marshall also died on the 21st, so yeah...

 

She was in 2015 - it's that pesky 2016 that breaks the cycle. But yeah, clearly a time to watch out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, there go my slim chances of winning the DDP this year. Really wish I knew how I talked myself into thinking he wouldn't QO, he was in fucking Quiet Riot and would have been an idol to loads men in their early 50s who can google shit now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Frankie Banali dead at 68.

 

I just read that his father had previously died of pancreatic cancer back before Quiet Riot broke (and his mother died of breast cancer in 1990-on Frankie’s birthday, no less), so it sadly isn’t too much of a surprise that he would suffer the same :( RIP to my 14th hit!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, msc said:

 

After Colin Meads, Stefan Karl Stefannson and Fred Rister, this is the 4th straight year a big DDP death has happened on the 20th or 21st of August.

 

The sort of stats I bet you all love. Hah.

Fred Rister :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a really bad year and a half for drummers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use