Guest jeffonthego

Osama Bin Laden

Just been announced Elton John Is Going to perform at Bin Ladens Funeral " Sandals in the Bin" Gonna be a hit!!!

That's an insult to the memory of Mother Teresa. He should at least have taken the trouble to write something new.

Rocket Attack Man?

He's apparently dead, according to CNN and possibly Obama in a upcoming speech here.

BBC reporting it on BBCnews24 too.

I had imagined that he died years ago. I don't know, call me sceptical, but I can't help but wonder if he's really dead.. There's no denying the fact that it comes at a good time for Obama - what with his waning popularity and all. No doubt, this will do his popularity no harm at all..

Since someone will inevitably raise the question of (yawn) whether or not this is the "most significant" death of the year, here are some hard stats from a poll the ABC are currently running:

Will the death of bin Laden make the world safer?

Yes 13%

It'll make no difference 58%

No, it'll create more instability 29%

747 votes counted

Hopefully, they will ask the same question about Zsa Zsa when she goes. Surely she could get a higher "Yes" vote standing on one leg.

Are we sure he didn't just top himself as he, like Blair, wasn't invited to his family friends' big do last Friday?

In fact it is a shame they didn't pull it off on Friday, that would have dispersed the media circus and given a bit more viewing choice.

they would still have gone with the royal wedding,with a red button option to watch the bin laden news.Sad but true...

have we actually seen a photo or video of OBLs body yet? Im going to be a bit sceptical till we do...

because it turns out the photo shown earleir was a fake

we may all be the victims of a massive piece of govt propganda here...

have we actually seen a photo or video of OBLs body yet? Im going to be a bit sceptical till we do...

I'm pretty sure he is dead.

They would have killed him off years ago if declaring him dead was so easy.

First time the bins been taken out on a bank Holiday!

And whilst we're trawling the Sickipedia...

President Bush tried, and failed.

President Clinton tried, and failed.

President Obama tried, and succeded.

The moral of this is...

If you want someone dead, hire a black man...

It is a good thing that he's dead. What he did on 9/11 was a tragedy. :banghead:

Some money-hungry Yanks were already in the process of making a film about attempts to kill him :banghead: :

Osama bin Laden movie already in works

Updated 14 minutes ago

As news of Osama bin Laden's death circulates, it has emerged that an action thriller about the Al Qaeda leader had already been in the works.

Kathryn Bigelow, the Oscar-winning director of the 2009 Iraq war movie The Hurt Locker, and her screenwriting collaborator Mark Boal were meeting with actors for an Osama Bin Laden assassination project, when they learned US forces had killed the Al Qaeda leader in a Pakistani compound.

How this will impact on the project is yet to be seen. Bigelow and Boal, the director and writer of the 2009 best picture winner were already working on an action thriller tentatively titled Kill Bin Laden.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/03/3206013.htm

Reports are now coming in that one of Osama's wives was killed, too.

That reminds me of a lecture I once attended at a uni conference: the egghead feminist academic was ruminating on the then-new phenomenon of female suicide bombers and was speculating about what would possibly motivate a woman to blow herself up, because the men are promised 72 virgins in the afterlife but there is nothing in the Koran about rewards for women jihadists.

That reminds me of a lecture I once attended at a uni conference: the egghead feminist academic was ruminating on the then-new phenomenon of female suicide bombers and was speculating about what would possibly motivate a woman to blow herself up, because the men are promised 72 virgins in the afterlife but there is nothing in the Koran about rewards for women jihadists.

I would have thought escaping their husbands would be reward enough...

I would have thought escaping their husbands would be reward enough...

You too have the makings of a feminist academic in you, Windsor. :banghead:

I have to say that I'm pretty impressed by the details of this. This wasn't just lobbing some drones into Pakistan and claiming they got him (as is often the case). The US Seals traveled deep inside of Pakistan, executed a precision plan within a 40 minute window on the ground. They suffered no casualties, took the body with them and were out of the country before anyone (including Pakistan) knew what was happening. They put this sucker to bed as about as cleanly as possible. Pakistan can't even chirp about violating its sovereignty since it looks suspiciously like people inside its military were assisting him. Then back on the carrier, the US gets all the proof they need to prove he's dead and then rolls him off the deck into the ocean. "Into the drink there handsome." No place for pilgrims to go visit.

I'm pretty sure he is dead.

They would have killed him off years ago if declaring him dead was so easy.

aninotes07.gif

As coroner I must weigh in

I thoroughly examined Bin!

And he's not only merely dead,

he's really most sincerely dead!

White House undecided on releasing bin Laden photos

Updated 1 hour 59 minutes ago

The White House says it is deciding whether to release photographs of Osama bin Laden's corpse amid calls from some key politicians to do so to prove the Al Qaeda chief is truly dead.

"We are going to do everything we can to make sure that nobody has any basis to try to deny that we got Osama bin Laden," said White House counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/03/3206223.htm

Okay, so how does this affect DeathList? Do you take the word of the White House that he really is dead or do the committee want to lobby the White House to release the photos for conclusive evidence? :banghead:

A victim's relative is not pleased with the way the US went about this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/03/3206106.htm

I respect the victim's relative's views, but I don't agree. No matter what course of action was taken with Osama, the Halibut terrorists would have continued to be a threat as long as they have a supply of 12 year old Halibut children and enough ammo to strap onto them. In my opinion, this may continue as long as there is a Western presence in Arab lands, and as long as the U.S. remains committed to Israel.

A victim's relative is not pleased with the way the US went about this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/03/3206106.htm

I respect the victim's relative's views, but I don't agree. No matter what course of action was taken with Osama, the Halibut terrorists would have continued to be a threat as long as they have a supply of 12 year old Halibut children and enough ammo to strap onto them. In my opinion, this may continue as long as there is a Western presence in Arab lands, and as long as the U.S. remains committed to Israel.

Yes, according to a documentary I once saw, one of the key things that riled bin Laden in the first place was that the US decided to stick military bases right in or near the Halibut holy cities of Mecca and Medina. (That in no way justifies any of his actions, of course.)

It has often been said that the USA always needs an opponent to fight against, so luckily for them, they now have a new one:

Bin Laden's touted successor 'even more extreme'

Posted 28 minutes ago

Ayman al-Zawahiri

Al Qaeda number two, an Egyptian surgeon considered the real mastermind of the global terror franchise, is now set to succeed Osama bin Laden as the world's most wanted man.

Ayman al-Zawahiri is seen as the real brains and strategist behind Al Qaeda, with even more extremist views than bin Laden himself.

Some fear an Al Qaeda with him at the top will become even more radicalised and bent on staging more deadly attacks to avenge his mentor's death.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05...?section=justin

So Deathlisterati, how long do we think he will last? Given the US took 10 years to find bin Laden, perhaps we should pencil this tosser in for the 2021 list.

It has often been said that the USA always needs an opponent to fight against, so luckily for them, they now have a new one:

Bin Laden's touted successor 'even more extreme'

Posted 28 minutes ago

Ayman al-Zawahiri

Al Qaeda number two, an Egyptian surgeon considered the real mastermind of the global terror franchise, is now set to succeed Osama bin Laden as the world's most wanted man.

Ayman al-Zawahiri is seen as the real brains and strategist behind Al Qaeda, with even more extremist views than bin Laden himself.

Some fear an Al Qaeda with him at the top will become even more radicalised and bent on staging more deadly attacks to avenge his mentor's death.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05...?section=justin

So Deathlisterati, how long do we think he will last? Given the US took 10 years to find bin Laden, perhaps we should pencil this tosser in for the 2021 list.

To be fair, Davey Jones' Locker, i understood that al-Zawahiri was already the main leader for the last couple of years (because Osama was just to ill to lead during that time).

So is really THAT much changing?

Depends where the money's going to come from now, I suppose.

Just back from a trip and heard Bin Laden has been buried at sea. It hasn't sunk in yet.