VSBfromH

Not Exactly Famous...

French orchestra leader Paul Mauriat has died at the age of 81

La mort est bleu.

Or something (bad French pun).

He could, in a sense, be on near misses as I've mentioned him before on here, but the last survivor of the 1938 World Cup winning Italian team, Pietro Rava, has died, at 90. Obit (in Italian)

I'm happy to say, DDT, that this man was one of my mystery candidates, although recent events had pushed Rava down the DDP potential pecking order anyway, and the fact that when he was interviewed last year, he was doing okay.

:rolleyes:

Ernestine Gilbreth Carey has died aged 98

Co-writer of "Cheaper by the Dozen", later made into the 50s film, more recently remade starring Steve "I used to be funny" Martin. She herself was played in the original by the late Barbara Bates who committed suicide aged 43 in 1969.

Fernandez Ochoa

Spain's only* ever Winter Olympics gold medallist (at Sapporo 1972) has died of cancer aged 56.

* The 3 they got in 2002 were later cancelled due to a positive doping test on the competitor concerned

Actress Adrienne Shelly has been found dead.

Never heard of her.

She looks familiar in the photos I've seen of her on different websites but I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a line-up.

Whomever posted the news of her death on wikipedia seems convinced that she hung herself, yet I've not seen any report to indicate that.

Well there's this,

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...0hanged_1012708

totally weird.... from all the reports I've read, people around her said she was in good spirits and excited about the new movie she was working on etc. There didn't seem to be any indication that she was depressed or even suicidal

Seems Shelly was murdered, a nasty business.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/07/nyregion/07actress.html

Women's chess prodigy and former Women's World Amateur Champion Jessie Gilbert has died at the age of 19

She fell from an 8th floor window in the Czech Republic

Looks like a case of suicide

Brian Brolly has died aged 70

"Top Broadway producer, founder of Classic and Jazz FM and former head of the Really Useful Theatre Company"

He appears also to have been responsible for encouraging Tim Rice and Andrew Lord Weeble, something which should surely be seen as a criminal act...

Polly Umrigar , Indian cricket legend died today of cancer aged 80.

The less legendary West Indian cricketer Nyron Asgarali died last Sunday after a fall. He was 85.

I wanted to put him in Near Misses, since I thought I'd mentioned him somewhere, but I suppose not. Anyhow, Sci Fi writer Nelson Bond, dead of heart problems at age 97.

R&B's singer Gerald Levert has died aged 40 from a massive heart attack.

[A straw poll in chat indicated he was an unknown, so post moved -- MH]

Edited by Magere Hein

I'd like to add Singer Gerald Levert age 40 died in his sleep due to a massive heart attack. and I'd would also like to add tv personality Ed Bradly age 65 due to Leukimia.

Edited by Magere Hein

British comedy actor Ronnie Stevens,

died aged 81 at Denville Hall the actor's retirement home.

Oh that's a shame, I liked him! :D

Veteran sci-fi author Jack Williamson, has died aged 98.

I'm a SciFi fan and I've read several of his works. Might as well be a Near Miss. :D

regards,

Hein

Another author makes it to a ripe old age. What do I keep telling ya? To post is to grasp at eternity, or summat.

Veteran sci-fi author Jack Williamson, has died aged 98.
I'm a SciFi fan and I've read several of his works. Might as well be a Near Miss. :lol:
Another author makes it to a ripe old age. What do I keep telling ya? To post is to grasp at eternity, or summat.

There's a Dutch saying: "Wie schrijft, die blijft", which translates to "Who writes remains." Normally it's used either in the context of "Verba volant, scripta manent", or about the person who keeps the scores in a card game, but it seems that we can take it literally as well. :D

regards,

Hein

Florence "Rusty" Tullis

"The strong-willed biker mother of a son with a rare disfiguring disease"

She has died (aged 70) a month after being injured in a motorcycle accident. Her story was told in the film "Mask" in which her part was played by Cher.

"She would never stop riding motorcycles unless something drastic happened," [her niece, Helen] Cunningham said. "Well, something drastic happened."

(Some reports have her name as "Francais" rather than "Florence")