Guest KateS

Margaret Thatcher

There are now twitter rumours that she has died...but you know what twitter is like.

Well we'll know for sure by tomorrow if it's true or not.If she is dead they're bound to officially announce it within hours. if we hear nothing we'll know never to believe twitter rumours again! I'm not rushing out to buy a bottle of champagne just yet!

For the record, I don't think she'll get a state funeral...

But seriously, having caught myself questioning the humanity of all those Americans and world leaders currently expressing their joy at the death of another human being, albeit a foreigner and a mass murderer (The US has the death penalty, most European states don't but let's not go there), I asked myself if I wouldn't be just as happy if Thatcher were to die. The answer is probably, although I expect Thatcher's death to be a bit of an anticlimax, given that it isn't going to undo anything she did.

I'd prefer Lady Thatcher to be kept alive and conscious indefinitely, in great discomfort, being lectured on the error of her ways by embittered ex-miners armed with electric cattle prods.

Does one get into trouble for saying things like that?

All these years after the end of her reign she still seems to stir up emotions in this forum. The Government may find itself under pressure to provide photographic proof of her demise, followed by a swift burial at sea over the wreck of the Belgrano to prevent any possibility that her grave becomes a rallying point for Tory suicide squads left behind as sleepers on Mothers' Union committees throughout the Home Counties. I suppose the circulation of a photograph would be considered too gruesome for public consumption. But, without it, conspiracy theorists may be tempted to believe she could be still alive, living on a banana plantation in Paraguay. And even when she's gone her old personal bodyguard, Von Tebbit, will remain to carry the torch at future Nuremberg Rallies Conservative Party Conferences.

Meanwhile former activists and supporters will continue to meet in the bier kellers of Basingstoke and Tunbridge Wells, reminiscing over the old times and singing the

at the Parish Council. Yes, those were the days, when the reds were rolled back over the steppes of South Yorkshire and Thatcher's forces could almost reach out and touch Barnsley town hall. But they couldn't get Scargill and the old bastard lives on with his memories, his banners and his heavily decorated cap even as NUM veterans coo over the royal wedding in their former council houses acquired under the right-to-buy legislation.

Oh, and by the way, they didn't get me.

Osama

:skill2:

This article seems to confirm the rumors of ill-health and decline. Plans for a state funeral are stated as matter of fact. Did enjoy the bit about the fellow with the "dancing on her grave" t-shirt.

For the record, I don't think she'll get a state funeral...

What no horses bolting and flipping her coffin flying through the air and smattering everyone with a goo body, of dust and slime from her dried sweat nodes retaining the acidic venom that augemented her already nasty disposition to Hell hag? No splattering her fans with "dirt" from her constricted bowels likely caused by her body reacting to her dried up sweat glands....

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT. You screwed me again God, first the fucking chopped down tree, then my grotesque body, and you can't even grant me this one dignity of seeing an evil doer fly through the air and land in her own shit of her own making.

This article seems to confirm the rumors of ill-health and decline. Plans for a state funeral are stated as matter of fact. Did enjoy the bit about the fellow with the "dancing on her grave" t-shirt.

"State funerals are reserved for monarchs but may, by order of the reigning monarch, be granted to other national heroes".

Since when was this witch a national hero???

This article

Did enjoy the bit about the fellow with the "dancing on her grave" t-shirt.

Perhaps as a precaution she'll be buried like Osama

"State funerals are reserved for monarchs but may, by order of the reigning monarch, be granted to other national heroes".

They don't have to be national 'heroes'.

The fact that she was a) Britain's first Prime Minister, :( was Prime Minister for over 10 years, c) reclaimed the Falklands, would probably do it.

Not to mention the fact that the Tories are back.

The fact that she was a) Britain's first Prime Minister, :( was Prime Minister for over 10 years, c) reclaimed the Falklands, would probably do it.

ahem! I thought that was generally held to be Walpole.

He meant to say female Prime Minister. Soooooo who will die first? Hell Hag or Fallen Star?

No Prime Minister since Churchill has had a state funeral. He died in 1965, since when it's been the likes of Earl Mountbatten who've been so honoured. We're living in very different times, and I have a hunch that any attempt to conduct a state funeral for Thatcher would probably have an element of a circus about it, not least because of the amount of protesters/anarachists etc who might want to stage their own tribute to her.

So no money for public services but enough to fund a full state funeral for someone hated by about 3/4 of the population eh? Would expect nothing less from the Tories

Yes - I meant female Prime Minister...

I think it's more likely that Thatcher will get a Ceremonial Funeral, which isn't quite a State Funeral. The Queen Mother had a Ceremonial Funeral. If she didn't get a State Funeral, I think it's unlikely that Thatcher will get one. In practice, there is virtually no difference between the two types of funeral.

• Thanks 1

Looks like the twitter rumours were wrong then...

I think it's more likely that Thatcher will get a Ceremonial Funeral, which isn't quite a State Funeral. The Queen Mother had a Ceremonial Funeral. If she didn't get a State Funeral, I think it's unlikely that Thatcher will get one. In practice, there is virtually no difference between the two types of funeral.

Questions from an ignorant colonial - what is the difference between State and Ceremonial and which did Diana end up having?

Questions from an ignorant colonial - what is the difference between State and Ceremonial and which did Diana end up having?

From wikipedia:

A state funeral consists of a military procession where the coffin is borne on a gun carriage from the private resting chapel to Westminster Hall. In a state funeral the gun carriage is pulled by members of the Royal Navy. In a royal ceremonial funeral, the gun carriage is pulled by horses. The body usually lies in state in Westminster Hall for three days. This is then followed by a funeral service at Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's Cathedral. Many of the features of a state funeral are shared by other types of funerals—a royal ceremonial funeral (for example, that of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Diana, Princess of Wales) often has a lying in state and Westminster Abbey service. The real distinction between a state funeral and a ceremonial funeral is that a state funeral requires a motion or vote in Parliament. The honour of a state funeral is usually reserved for the sovereign as head of state and the current or past consort.

As I said - there is virtually no difference.

From wikipedia:

A state funeral consists of a military procession where the coffin is borne on a gun carriage from the private resting chapel to Westminster Hall. In a state funeral the gun carriage is pulled by members of the Royal Navy. In a royal ceremonial funeral, the gun carriage is pulled by horses. The body usually lies in state in Westminster Hall for three days. This is then followed by a funeral service at Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's Cathedral. Many of the features of a state funeral are shared by other types of funerals—a royal ceremonial funeral (for example, that of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Diana, Princess of Wales) often has a lying in state and Westminster Abbey service. The real distinction between a state funeral and a ceremonial funeral is that a state funeral requires a motion or vote in Parliament. The honour of a state funeral is usually reserved for the sovereign as head of state and the current or past consort.

Cheers - yes, I was too lazy to go to Wikipedia.

Well this has got me so excited I had to return to the Deathlist! Yesterday I bought a bottle of champagne, and it's now in the fridge and ready for when the announcement is made.

I read lots of commets online about people wanting to dance on her grave and I suggest we have a DL meet in the cemetery and proceed to have a party on her grave. That is, if there's space. I suspect her grave will be a very happening place, what with all the people dancing, spitting and urinating on it :(

I don't think they'd be stupid enough to bury her in a place accessable to the public with no supervision.

She'll probably end up under a slab at St. Paul's Cathedral.

Cremation would sort that problem, cremation at the Orgreave Coke Works would be an appropriate tribute.

From wikipedia:

Speaking of which, even though you blokes wouldn't even give the Queen Mum a state funeral, we are more than happy to dish one out to Lionel Rose, it seems: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/09/3211937.htm

(The US has the death penalty, most European states don't but let's not go there)

*snip*

I'd prefer Lady Thatcher to be kept alive and conscious indefinitely, in great discomfort, being lectured on the error of her ways by embittered ex-miners armed with electric cattle prods.

I don't think I even have to begin commenting on the irony here. :(

From wikipedia:

Speaking of which, even though you blokes wouldn't even give the Queen Mum a state funeral, we are more than happy to dish one out to Lionel Rose, it seems: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/09/3211937.htm

Yes, but Australian State Funerals are rubbish...