Jump to content
Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Recommended Posts

Heard "(I Don't Know Why) But I Do" by Clarence "Frogman" Henry in a commercial tonight and looked it up since I could not remember who sung it or the exact name of the song. Recognized his name and thought "wasn't he one of those born in the 1910s, died 30-40 years ago types?" only to find out he was born in 1937 and still alive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Heard "(I Don't Know Why) But I Do" by Clarence "Frogman" Henry in a commercial tonight and looked it up since I could not remember who sung it or the exact name of the song. Recognized his name and thought "wasn't he one of those born in the 1910s, died 30-40 years ago types?" only to find out he was born in 1937 and still alive.

 

I've similar issues with Herb Alpert.

 

My mind is also convinced, to the point it surprises me each time I read otherwise, that Duane Eddy is dead. I think my brain merges him into a combo of 1960s/70s deaths I read about as a kid in They Died Too Young series (Eddie Cochran/Gram Parsons/Duane somebody or other - presumably Allman)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Heard "(I Don't Know Why) But I Do" by Clarence "Frogman" Henry in a commercial tonight and looked it up since I could not remember who sung it or the exact name of the song. Recognized his name and thought "wasn't he one of those born in the 1910s, died 30-40 years ago types?" only to find out he was born in 1937 and still alive.

 

I saw him support Cannon & Ball in summer season in Scarborough back in the early 1980s. Cannon & Ball were naturally shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, msc said:

 

I've similar issues with Herb Alpert.

 

My mind is also convinced, to the point it surprises me each time I read otherwise, that Duane Eddy is dead. I think my brain merges him into a combo of 1960s/70s deaths I read about as a kid in They Died Too Young series (Eddie Cochran/Gram Parsons/Duane somebody or other - presumably Allman)...

 

Indeed, I feel like there's some other dead New Orleans R&B figure who followed the same Firstname "Nickname" Surname metric that made me think Frogman was dead too. But I can't think of any. I can only think of still living Huey "Piano" Smith (who also has the feel of someone who died a while back, but I already knew he's alive).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both wives of John Thaw & also Jon Pertwee are still alive & John Thaw's first wife (before Sheila Hancock) was portrayed in Endeavour last Sunday as she was a leading Women's Liberation activist in the 70's which is the decade Endeavour has now reached. Confusingly JohnThaw's daughter Abigail is a regular in the show (as editor of the Oxford Mail) & also her daughter appeared last Sunday as well as someone playing her own mother in a scene at Ruskin College where a significant Women's Liberation Movement meeting was held!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Both wives of John Thaw & also Jon Pertwee are still alive & John Thaw's first wife (before Sheila Hancock) was portrayed in Endeavour last Sunday as she was a leading Women's Liberation activist in the 70's which is the decade Endeavour has now reached. Confusingly JohnThaw's daughter Abigail is a regular in the show (as editor of the Oxford Mail) & also her daughter appeared last Sunday as well as someone playing her own mother in a scene at Ruskin College where a significant Women's Liberation Movement meeting was held!

 

I would have preferred this if you had left out the Jon Pertwee reference and expanded the Endeavour reference to something along the lines of it being about a character played by John Thaw when he was older just for maximum confusion value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

 

I would have preferred this if you had left out the Jon Pertwee reference and expanded the Endeavour reference to something along the lines of it being about a character played by John Thaw when he was older just for maximum confusion value.

 

I like how Jean Marsh is easily the most famous person referenced in the post and appears merely as "also Jon Pertwee"...

 

Marsh is a DL future cert, Ingeborg Pertwee somewhat less so.

 

Sheila Hancock is also a potential future DL pick, but Sally Alexander doesn't seem in trouble of threatening deadpoolers anytime soon last I saw?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

 

I would have preferred this if you had left out the Jon Pertwee reference and expanded the Endeavour reference to something along the lines of it being about a character played by John Thaw when he was older just for maximum confusion value.

I think the whole episode reached quadruple confusion mode. Endeavour is a prequel to Morse in which the John Thaw character is played by Shaun Evans. John's daughter Abigail Thaw has a regular supporting role as the local newspaper editor. In last Sunday's episode which was set in 1970 the real-life character of Sally Alexander appeared in a scene with Abigail Thaw who is her real-life daughter of course. The part of Sally Alexander was played by Abigail Thaw's actual daughter!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use