maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Dave Loggins, who had a U.S. #5 hit in 1974 with the song "Please Come to Boston", has died. He was 76. Loggins, a cousin to singer Kenny Loggins, also charted with "Someday" (#57)  and "Nobody Likes Me Like You Do",  a duet with Anne Murray (#103).

https://variety.com/2024/music/obituaries-people-news/dave-loggins-dead-please-come-to-biston-singer-songwriter-1236068565/

59 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Rod Argent (Zombies; Argent) retiring hurt after suffering a stroke: https://bestclassicbands.com/rod-argent-zombies-retires-following-stroke-7-11-24/

Gutted about this. Saw the Zombies only last month and he was on absolutely fantastic form. Both him and Blunstone had not lost it one bit - so unusual for guys from the 60s. I expect Blunstone won’t continue as the Zombies now. Really sad. 

• Like 2

Just seen social media posts of Stevie Nicks performing with Harry Styles at BST Hyde Park. I just winced at her voice. She also sounds drunk.

What do you think.

12 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Dave Loggins, who had a U.S. #5 hit in 1974 with the song "Please Come to Boston", has died. He was 76. Loggins, a cousin to singer Kenny Loggins, also charted with "Someday" (#57)  and "Nobody Likes Me Like You Do",  a duet with Anne Murray (#103).

https://variety.com/2024/music/obituaries-people-news/dave-loggins-dead-please-come-to-biston-singer-songwriter-1236068565/

He also recorded the Masters Tournament theme, at least for American broadcasts. 

Wiki has been updated to report the death of John Christoforou aka Johnnie Christo, bassist for UK band The Escape Club. I'm guessing there must be reports on FB or somewhere. 

The band hit #1 in the US with Wild Wild West in 1988, but never charted in the UK.

On 20/06/2020 at 00:43, Death Impends said:

1938 - Connie Francis, Duane Eddy, Jimmy Clanton, Connie Stevens, Johnny Tillotson, Jerry Fuller, Sandy Nelson, Terry "Buzzy" Johnson (The Flamingos), Bobby Hendricks (The Drifters), Kathy Linden, Charles Patrick (The Monotones), Jesse Lee Turner, Dave "Baby" Cortez, Paul Evans

Jerry Fuller, minor US hitmaker with a version of Tennessee Waltz but better known as a songwriter including Young Girl for Gary Puckett, reportedly dead: https://variety.com/2024/music/obituaries-people-news/jerry-fuller-dead-songwriter-young-girl-travelin-man-1236079249/

• Like 3

Ian Levine has tweeted that Evelyn Thomas (High Energy) has died 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, MarkF said:

Ian Levine has tweeted that Evelyn Thomas (High Energy) has died 

Really sad news.

That choon was a real floor filler back in the day. 40 years, just days over, ago. Hard to believe. RIP.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/07/2024 at 14:16, YoungWillz said:

Rod Argent (Zombies; Argent) retiring hurt after suffering a stroke: https://bestclassicbands.com/rod-argent-zombies-retires-following-stroke-7-11-24/

I am gutted about this. I saw the Zombies only in June and they were still phenomenal. The finest live act of all the remaining 60s veterans. 

On 12/07/2024 at 15:18, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Gutted about this. Saw the Zombies only last month and he was on absolutely fantastic form. Both him and Blunstone had not lost it one bit - so unusual for guys from the 60s. I expect Blunstone won’t continue as the Zombies now. Really sad. 

1 minute ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I am gutted about this. I saw the Zombies only in June and they were still phenomenal. The finest live act of all the remaining 60s veterans. 

So gutted you tell us twice, ha! 

I am personally gutted too. 

5 minutes ago, tracy said:

Abdul Duke Fakir dead at 88.

Well. 

My TOTP theme team streak continues, phew! Every year since I began it, at least one hit. Bit of a shock so quick after the retirement news.

1988 saw the Tops hit #11 in the UK with this remix (purists, await the bleeding of ears):

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well. 

My TOTP theme team streak continues, phew! Every year since I began it, at least one hit. Bit of a shock so quick after the retirement news.

1988 saw the Tops hit #11 in the UK with this remix (purists, await the bleeding of ears):

A hit for my team as well. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tracy said:

Abdul Duke Fakir dead at 88.

Aw, I’m gutted I missed seeing him. Truly the end of an era! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I just sang Sunglasses by Tracey Ullman, saw the original was by Sandy Posey, looked her up and it says she died on July 20. If that’s true, it’s somewhat bizarre.

Nothing on the Tweetbox, maybe a FB search might be helpful here?

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

It was on her Wikipedia page, but I have been led to believe that sometimes those aren’t scrupulously accurate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Lots on Facebook; there's also one post from her birthday (18 June) saying she'd been ill.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I just sang Sunglasses by Tracey Ullman, saw the original was by Sandy Posey, looked her up and it says she died on July 20. If that’s true, it’s somewhat bizarre.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago - I had just played a jazz album featuring saxophonist Lee Könitz, so headed to his Wikipedia page to find some backround infomation on how the session came about, only to discover he had died that day.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Aw, I’m gutted I missed seeing him. Truly the end of an era! 

Yeah, I'm going to a Four Tops/Temptations dual concert this December and it would've been cool to see an original Four Top (though the Tempts still do have Otis Williams touring). Starting to attend concerts this year with my music tastes definitely has a lot of "strike while the iron is hot".

RIP to a titan!

• Like 2

I see Wiki has been updated to signify the death of Harold Chico Torres, the last surviving original member of doo-wop US band The Crests

Nothing in the UK Charts but they did max out in the US Billboard Hot 100 at #2 with 16 Candles in 1958. Again, I cannot find an obit.

• Like 1