maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Perhaps not a household name himself (in the UK, anyway), by my god this one paragraph from his Wiki lays out one heck of a career. 

In 2004, Albini estimated that he has engineered the recording of 1,500 albums, mostly by underground musicians. By 2018, his estimate had increased to several thousand. More prominent artists that Albini has worked with include: Nirvana, Pixies, The Breeders, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, the Jesus Lizard, Don Caballero, PJ Harvey, The Wedding Present, Joanna Newsom, Superchunk, Low, Dirty Three, Jawbreaker, Neurosis, Cloud Nothings, Bush, Chevelle, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant(as Page and Plant), Helmet, Fred Schneider, The Stooges, Owls, Manic Street Preachers, Jarvis Cocker, The Cribs, the Fleshtones, Nina Nastasia, The Frames, The Membranes, Cheap Trick, Motorpsycho, Slint, mclusky, Labradford, Veruca Salt, Zao, The Auteurs, Spare Snare, Foxy Shazam,  etc.

• Like 3

I don't know if he was a household name in America either: my parents would know who he was though. His essays (rants) are one thing that inspired me to be interested in the music industry. I think I cited him in my highschool thesis.

49 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

RIP to a legendary dietician

GNEeiQJXoAAziyi.png

Didn't do him much good, did it?

8 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Didn't do him much good, did it?

Red meat, fat and carbohydrate are not a healthy meal... 

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

RIP to a legendary dietician

GNEeiQJXoAAziyi.png

Like to know where he could buy a loaf of bread, cheese AND roast beef for less than £8.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Like to know where he could buy a loaf of bread, cheese AND roast beef for less than £8.

Sainsburys. 

Sliced deli beef, £2 - £3

Sandwich loaf, £1.40

400g mature cheddar cheese, £3 (other cheeses are available)

And you'll get more than one meal out of that lot.

• Like 1

Among the greatest to ever come from Chicago. Rest in peace.

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

Sainsburys. 

Sliced deli beef, £2 - £3

Sandwich loaf, £1.40

400g mature cheddar cheese, £3 (other cheeses are available)

And you'll get more than one meal out of that lot.

Is that with Nectar Card savings? 

Can't help feeling his meal is a little dry. Probably  needs some spread which would push the cost up over a Big Mac meal deal.

8 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Can't help feeling his meal is a little dry. Probably  needs some spread which would push the cost up over a Big Mac meal deal.

One of the beef options had a Nectar discount, otherwise no. 

Spread? well, you could buy a jar of spread or a pack of butter but it's going to do for several meals.

You wouldn't need any if you made a toasted cheese sandwich.

17 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Steve Albini needs no spread! Even when he was alive he would scoff at such a preposterous idea; spreads are for the morally weak!! Billy Corgan eats spreads, food of the corporate cocksuckers!!!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, lilham said:

I don't know if he was a household name in America either: my parents would know who he was though. His essays (rants) are one thing that inspired me to be interested in the music industry. I think I cited him in my highschool thesis.

Probably not a household name but anyone can just read his list of credits and gain a sense of how major his impact on the sound of the 90’s was. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Holy badly timed article:

1044567853_Screenshot_20240508-1734452.thumb.png.bd5b1acb48f82d46f81ed1acaefc519f.png

255681091_Screenshot_20240508-1735012.thumb.png.e23158958e31c5a9fc0ac321f707cb27.png

Guess we'll never know.

Is it too late for me to sign up and ask one? 

“Hi Steve, Ulitzer here. Big fan (not really, never heard of you). Tell me Steve, how likely is it that you’ll drop dead from a heart attack without ever reading this?”

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Is it too late for me to sign up and ask one?

“Hi Steve, Ulitzer here. Big fan (not really, never heard of you). Tell me Steve, how likely is it that you’ll drop dead from a heart attack without ever reading this?”

And me please.

"Hi Steve, are they letting dogs in?"

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Toast said:

Spread? well, you could buy a jar of spread or a pack of butter but it's going to do for several meals.

I even stopped buying burgers to cook, Tesco's rather than Sainsbury's but same thing. Burgers were 6 -8 quid a kilo, those minute steaks (thin things) are 9-10 quid a kilo and aren't 'eyeballs and arseholes'.

In honesty I've tried to cut down on red meat altogether.

To be fair, I'll still get McD on occasion if I'm in a rush or just cba.

Now that everyone's comfortably asleep, 'here's Steve with the weather'.

3 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I even stopped buying burgers to cook, Tesco's rather than Sainsbury's but same thing. Burgers were 6 -8 quid a kilo, those minute steaks (thin things) are 9-10 quid a kilo and aren't 'eyeballs and arseholes'.

Hey, Tesco burgers aren't eyeballs and arseholes! They're 100% British horse beef brisket and chuck.

21 hours ago, Toast said:

Very true, I bow to your toast knowledge... er.. Toast

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TQR said:

Hey, Tesco burgers aren't eyeballs and arseholes! They're 100% British horse beef brisket and chuck.

So they say. :P.

And anyway, they're going to make burgers out of the leftovers of everything else because 'why wouldn't they?' they're in it for the money not the food quality. Even if technically it's not offal.

I'm boring myself now. And fkin miles off topic.

Since Albini's death, I've been listening to Silkworm and getting into fights over whether Steely Dan suck (they do). Albini-approved pasttimes.

On 23/10/2023 at 09:05, DevonDeathTrip said:

Hedkandi dance label vocalist Kathy Brown suffering from stage 4 cancer.  

Edit - better link here.  Breast cancer which has spread to the brain :skull:

Kathy Brown is performing again - she'll be doing her first gig since been diagnosed with cancer. Looks pretty good (if it's a recent video). Either way, maybe someone near Bexhill can do some form spotting - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1356717388350352