maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Steve Strange funeral held in South Wales

The BBC report contains some good celebrity watching: if that is Boy George at the front he looks far healthier than he should.

However it also contains a photograph of the printed guest list. I hope when it comes to 2016 noone uses that as their blueprint for a DDP team.

More pics here, but that's not Andy Bell as per caption, it's Tommy Mack.

I don't know who looks worse. The Kemp brothers look worn, Tony Hadley better than I have seen him look recently but Martin Fry looks positively haggard.

Yeah, how to define pop music... To me it means music that's slower and less loud than rock music. Rock, metal, dance, techno, rap, amongst others I wouldn't qualify as pop music.

Yeah, how to define pop music... To me it means music that's slower and less loud than rock music. Rock, metal, dance, techno, rap, amongst others I wouldn't qualify as pop music.

I think the way it's deemed for this topic, is that it's for those that are well known musicians, have been cited as influences for today's bands, singers etc or they may have just had singles in the charts in previous years.

• Like 1

Ah, okay. Why not rename the thread into "Dead Musicians" then?

Although I've not really been around that long here, I love the fact that niche topics have developed over a serious number of years. I would say that although some musicians are pop stars, not all pop stars are musicians. For example, Gary Barlow is a musician and pop star, Jason Orange counts only as pop star. (Depends on your firmament I guess, no offence Jason!). Clark Terry was probably pop in his day, but a separate thread for Jazz is probably better now.

And I would be unlikely to post the death of Vanessa Mae or Nigel Kennedy here, far less Simon Rattle or the third bassoon player of the London Philharmonic.

Because neither MPFC nor Altered Images would like that.

• Like 2

Andy Fraser of Free, co-writer of All Right Now is dead at 62.

So, Free, but not All Right, Now.

• Like 1

Free bassist Andy Fraser dead.Not known if it was HIV or cancer related yet.

It was from free basing

SC

The words "All Right Now" are on Paul Kossoff's gravestone, wonder if Andy will repeat that.

It was from free basing

SC

The words "All Right Now" are on Paul Kossoff's gravestone, wonder if Andy will repeat that.

Or they could just put "Free At Last"

I used to enjoy the song "All Right Now" growing up in the 70s, then when it was used for the advert for Wrigley's chewing gum I got tired of hearing it. Went to see Paul Rodgers play a show back in the late 80s at Milton Keynes and half the crowd was yelling out for him to sing "All Right Now", I think I went to the bar when he launched into that song.

It was from free basing

SC

I used to enjoy the song "All Right Now" growing up in the 70s, then when it was used for the advert for Wrigley's chewing gum I got tired of hearing it. Went to see Paul Rodgers play a show back in the late 80s at Milton Keynes and half the crowd was yelling out for him to sing "All Right Now", I think I went to the bar when he launched into that song.

Was it like this?

It was from free basing

SC

Was it like this?

Thanks! that cheered me up this morning. Well even though Paul Rodgers has more songs that he's known for, I still didn't want to hear "All Right Now".

That death kinda fucks the old "they used to be called Four but one of them died" gag.

• Like 1

That death kinda fucks the old "they used to be called Four but one of them died" gag.

I read that, and thought "I don't get it. what has it got to do with Shaw Taylor and Police 5"? Then I realized I was reading something completely different and had DL opened on two tabs on my browser.

Michael Brown of 1960s "Baroque" popsters The Left Banke, has died aged 65.

Scott Clendenin, former bassist with Death, reported dead, ironically. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-death-bassist-scott-clendenin-dies-at-47/

Death was a seminal punk band outta Detroit, seminal in that it consisted of three black guys (1 is dead) who would have been more like 67 than 47, so I knew straight away this was an imposter band. There was a documentary about them recently 'A Band Called Death'. Don't be fooled by substitutes.

SirC

• Like 1

This death is referring to the 80s metal band, Death, not the 70s band Death.

They already have someone to take the place of Zayn Malik at least for the rest of the tour. I'm sure they'll audition someone to come into the band full time for however long their popularity lasts.

They already have someone to take the place of Zayn Malik at least for the rest of the tour. I'm sure they'll audition someone to come into the band full time for however long their popularity lasts.

Can't they just buy a new one in the shop?

• Like 2