maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Carl Gardner, lead singer and founder of American vocal group The Coasters, has Alzheimer's disease.

So doubtless he's wandering around the care home giving it endless yakkety yakking!

No more yakking from Carl.

• Like 1

One for those of us who grew up in the late 90s: Anet Mook, lead singer of one-time "next big thing" act Cay, has been found dead. She was from an era where NME/Melody Maker cover stars who started doing heroin actually fucked their careers up and ended up homeless, rather than the travails of Doherty [see Deathlist passim].

Really sad, I've got the album with Nature Creature's Freaks on it, really loved it, always wondered why they'd not managed to build on that start.

Totally gutted to get this email:

Friends...

We're very saddened to report that rock and roll lost another legend yesterday. Larry 'Wild Man' Fischer passed away yesterday morning at UCLA hospital from heart related complications. Larry lived a tough, hard 66 years of life.

Even though Larry never did reach the pinnacle of fame and fortune he so yearned for, he was successful in inspiring and influencing people from all over the world with his unique brand of music and expression.

Thank you Larry for your friendship, generosity and your music. You were a one-of-a-kind talent with a 'one-of-a-kind mind.' There will NEVER be another one like you. We miss you already.

-Josh and Jeremy

(The Ubin Twinz)

The Fischer family is requesting that if you wish to honor Larry's memory please make a donation to the National Alliance on Mental Illness: http://www.nami.org/

Big boned guitarist and singer Leslie West, who has fronted Mountain for over 40 years, will be tilting slightly from now on, having had part of his leg amputated because of diabetic complications.

Big boned guitarist and singer Leslie West, who has fronted Mountain for over 40 years, will be tilting slightly from now on, having had part of his leg amputated because of diabetic complications.

Mississippi Lean?

Wild Man Fischer obitted all over the US, still nowt in the UK. Though I did hear The Independent had commissioned one.

Missy Elliott is suffering from a deadly desease and she won't recover from it.... A kind of auto-immune desease.

Edit:

Shit, already mentioned in crappers....

Taiji Sawada

The former bassist with Japanese heavy metal outfit X has died after trying to hang himself following his arrest for violent behaviour on a Delta Airlines flight.

Taiji Sawada

The former bassist with Japanese heavy metal outfit X has died after trying to hang himself following his arrest for violent behaviour on a Delta Airlines flight.

This makes him the second member of X Japan to have hung himself in just over a decade. Still never listened to a note of their music, but I think they were like "the band" for Japs in the 90s.

Taiji Sawada

This makes him the second member of X Japan to have hung himself in just over a decade. Still never listened to a note of their music, but I think they were like "the band" for Japs in the 90s.

So I see. The former lead guitaritst Hide. This is what apparently happened following his death:

"Within one week, three fans had died in copycat suicides, and of the 50,000 people who attended his funeral in Tsukiji Hongan-ji, nearly 60 were hospitalized and about 200 received medical treatment in first aid tents."

Taiji Sawada

So I see. The former lead guitaritst Hide. This is what apparently happened following his death:

"Within one week, three fans had died in copycat suicides, and of the 50,000 people who attended his funeral in Tsukiji Hongan-ji, nearly 60 were hospitalized and about 200 received medical treatment in first aid tents."

I think a similar thing happened in England when the drummer from Feeder hung himself.

Guest Anonymous Horse

The website of Dan Peek, singer, guitarist and founding member of America , has announced that he died yesterday. :(

The website of Dan Peek, singer, guitarist and founding member of America , has announced that he died yesterday. :(

Hmmm, he wrote a warts and all insider's tale of being in that band, one of those rock books that packs way more than you expect. Very under-rated outfit IMHO, though the curious thing is that Peek was probably the least significant of the three singer-songwriters in America (the other two both wrote #1 US singles), but after the others parted company with Peek in 1977 the band never got close to their greatest moments again. The reunion rumours have never gone away...until now.

Follow up on Dan Peek, he got a fleeting - but point-worthy - obit on BBC Entertainment, they even wrongly credited him with co-writing Horse With no Name. If he's worth one then we should probably be following various current and ex-Eagles/Doobie Brothers and the like. Clearly the Beeb's entertainment staff include some who go back to mid-seventies AOR with fond memories.

Follow up on Dan Peek, he got a fleeting - but point-worthy - obit on BBC Entertainment, they even wrongly credited him with co-writing Horse With no Name. If he's worth one then we should probably be following various current and ex-Eagles/Doobie Brothers and the like. Clearly the Beeb's entertainment staff include some who go back to mid-seventies AOR with fond memories.

Presumably that's why they're re-running TOTP from 1976 as well...

Not "pop" by any stretch of the imagination, but Conrad Schnitzler, one time of Tangerine Dream and Kluster, has died of cancer. A half-page obituary in Wire awaits.

Not "pop" by any stretch of the imagination, but Conrad Schnitzler, one time of Tangerine Dream and Kluster, has died of cancer. A half-page obituary in Wire awaits.

Takes me back a bit. I remember buying Alpha Centuri, then Phaedra after hearing it on John Peel's show and thinking it was far out, or something (how southerners say "summat" MPFC). All my mates thought it was shit. Listening again now, I'm thinking they were right.

Takes me back a bit. I remember buying Alpha Centuri, then Phaedra after hearing it on John Peel's show and thinking it was far out, or something (how southerners say "summat" MPFC). All my mates thought it was shit. Listening again now, I'm thinking they were right.

Don't knock it. Nice bit of ambient...

John Oswald, aka Jani Lane, lead singer of glam/hair metal band Warrant (they did that annoying "Cherry Pie" song years ago) has been found dead in a hotel room:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=161881

He had a history of drug and alcohol problems.

EDIT: Now being reported on mainstream news sites, too: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-12/warr...nd-dead/2836906

• Like 1