maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Japanese rock band sumika is mourning the loss of one of their own. The four-member band has canceled their upcoming shows after guitarist Junnosuke Kuroda died Thursday, Feb. 23 at the age of 24. At this time, Kuroda's cause of death has not been disclosed. The guitarist had been active on social media just a day before his passing when he tweeted about the group's new collection of music videos.

SC

• Like 1

On 02/03/2023 at 18:53, Sly Ronnie said:

This is Hardcore is their best album IMO.

D

On 05/03/2023 at 21:07, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Possibly not the ideal thread, but one of Barnes & (Roly Poly Fish Heads) Barnes has left the building.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/robert-haimer-barnes-barnes-fish-heads-co-creator-has-died/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cn73Wtem0No&t=150s

Huh, I can't even post a YouTube link properly today. 

Noooo!!!

Gutted, tbh - these guys produced all - two - of Wild Man Fischer's 80s albums, legends.

• Like 1

There are some reports that Jerry Samuels, aka Napoleon XIV, best known for the novelty hit “They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Ha” has died. No article yet, but people close to him are reporting it on Facebook and Twitter

• Sad 5

51 minutes ago, ajlposh said:

There are some reports that Jerry Samuels, aka Napoleon XIV, best known for the novelty hit “They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Ha” has died. No article yet, but people close to him are reporting it on Facebook and Twitter

A TJS unique this year.

58 minutes ago, ajlposh said:

I can’t even imagine losing Fish Heads and They’re Coming to Take Me Away inside of a week.  I hope against hopes this isn’t true.

• Like 1

Someone else called Jerry Samuels died a couple of days ago so there maybe a mixup

If this was true, that'd be my 3rd hit, in just as many days. :o

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

I can’t even imagine losing Fish Heads and They’re Coming to Take Me Away inside of a week.  I hope against hopes this isn’t true.

You and me both - I've played the b-side of They're Coming... a couple of times on my radio show, to the 99.9% of posters who haven't a clue about this, the record is infamously weird because - basically - it's the a side, played backwards!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ajlposh said:

They came to take him away.

• Like 2

The "it's actually a dog" punchline might be the greatest ever joke in a novelty song. Or for that matter, one of the few to even be funny.

19 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

They came to take him away.

Brilliant hit. Always had a soft spot for a good novelty song

• Like 1

Apparently the B-SIDE of They're Coming To Take Me Away is the same song, played backwards and attributed to 14th Napoleon. 

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

Apparently the B-SIDE of They're Coming To Take Me Away is the same song, played backwards and attributed to 14th Napoleon. 

Aye, so I've heard!

• Haha 2

I listened to Dr Demento early and often in my teens (and beyond).  
To think we lost the #1 and #3 most requested Dr Demento songs of all time in one week. It’s beyond heartbreaking.
FTR #2 song was ‘Dead Puppies Aren’t Much Fun’ by Ogden Edsl, a 3-piece band from Nebraska.  A minute of research indicates all three are still alive!  They better take cover for a few weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

I listened to Dr Demento early and often in my teens (and beyond).  
To think we lost the #1 and #3 most requested Dr Demento songs of all time in one week. It’s beyond heartbreaking.
FTR #2 song was ‘Dead Puppies Aren’t Much Fun’ by Ogden Edsl, a 3-piece band from Nebraska.  A minute of research indicates all three are still alive!  They better take cover for a few weeks.

We can also take a moment to remember the good doctor is still alive and kicking at 81.

9 hours ago, drunkasaskunk said:

Actually VIX noelopaN

Phil Titus, bassist with Harlow based band Morning Parade, reportedly dead: 

Although they didn't do much chartwise, their songs Under The Stars and Speechless appeared on The Vampire Diaries TV series.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Springsteen has cancelled a second straight concert due to ye olde ‘undisclosed’ illness.’

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Meanwhile, Springsteen has cancelled a second straight concert due to ye olde ‘undisclosed’ illness.’

No clues as to who is ill, but Steve Van Zandt has said it's nothing to worry about.  Several band members have already missed shows due to Covid, but there's also norovirus doing the rounds so it might be that, and maybe more than one person is ill.  Obviously if it's Bruce they would cancel, but there are a couple of others that couldn't be replaced at short notice - eg Roy Bittan, Max Weinberg, possibly Garry Tallent.  Nothing to see here.

Further to the above,  they've now cancelled a third show and it's occurred to me that it could be that Bruce's mother is on the way out.  She's 98 and has had Alzheimers for years now.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Further to the above,  they've now cancelled a third show and it's occurred to me that it could be that Bruce's mother is on the way out.  She's 98 and has had Alzheimers for years now.

That could be.  The headline made it sound like it was band-related but it could be outside the band and an intentionally poor headline.

56 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

That could be.  The headline made it sound like it was band-related but it could be outside the band and an intentionally poor headline.

Yeah, the announcement just said "due to illness". No indication of who and what.   If someone had Covid they would have said so. 

On 28/02/2023 at 23:54, alt obits guy said:

Dorian Kweller, a budding guitarist set to make his SXSW debut in two weeks and the son of singer/songwriter Ben Kweller, has died. He was 16. No cause was given, but his death is being described as his having been killed.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/ben-kweller-son-dorian-dead-16-1235276776/

Car Accident https://www.statesman.com/obituaries/paco0441480
Ben Kweller was actually one of my first concerts (back when I was ~12 and he was ~15), so this story made me extra sad.

• Sad 1