maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

On 24/10/2021 at 02:34, Phantom said:

Jay Black of Jay and the Americans dead at 82

Howie Kane, one of the original vocalists with Stateside hitmakers Jay And The Americans, reportedly dead: https://www.noise11.com/news/howie-kane-of-jay-the-americans-dies-at-age-78-20230327

Edit: If I am right, Howie Kane is the one in this video giving it laldy with the tambourine:

• Like 2

Peggy Scott (subsequently Peggy Scott-Adams), who had a trio of Billboard charting singles with the late Jo Jo Benson in the late 1960s, reportedly dead: 

Highest position was #27 in 1968 with Pickin' Wild Mountain Berries:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Peggy Scott (subsequently Peggy Scott-Adams), who had a trio of Billboard charting singles with the late Jo Jo Benson in the late 1960s, reportedly dead: 

Highest position was #27 in 1968 with Pickin' Wild Mountain Berries:

Briefly returned to the public eye in 1997 with a #87 Billboard hit called 'Bill', about a woman who wonders which of her friends is sleeping with her man, only to find out it's a guy named Bill.

• Like 2

Keith Reid has died, Procol Harum confirmed in an emotional statement shared on social media.

The group, who originated from Southend-on-Sea, were best known for their 1967 hit, A Whiter Shade of Pale, paid tribute to their long-term songwriter who had been battling cancer.

Keith wasn't a performing member of the group but founded the band with vocalist Gary Booker who died in February 2022.

A Whiter Shade of Pale was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame back in 1998, as well as being crowned the most-played song for the past 75 years by the BBC in 2009.

SC

Remember Devin Lima, who died of cancer back in 2018?

Well, the man he replaced in LFO, original member Brian "Brizz" Gillis has also now reportedly died: 

This means that there is only one surviving member of that group now alive - Brad Fischetti.

While Gillis was with the group, they had a minor UK chart hit with If I Can't Have You, reaching #54 in May 1999:

• Like 3

Caroline Kawa, singer of the Toronto rock band Die Mannequin, has passed away at the age of 36.

Kawa was known as Care Failure in Die Mannequin. Details surrounding Kawa's death are unclear, but an obituary on Legacy.com confirmed her passing.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/r_i_p_care_failure_of_die_mannequin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Caroline Kawa, singer of the Toronto rock band Die Mannequin, has passed away at the age of 36.

Kawa was known as Care Failure in Die Mannequin. Details surrounding Kawa's death are unclear, but an obituary on Legacy.com confirmed her passing.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/r_i_p_care_failure_of_die_mannequin

22 minutes ago, waynet said:

Can't see that this has been posted as yet.

Peter Shelley of 'Gee Baby' fame  23 March 2023

https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries/theglobeandmail/name/peter-shelley-obituary?id=51529860

One for List of the Missed, as I had him last year in my "Randoms" team (assuming he gets a QO).

@An Fear Beag Presumably this counts for Hare's?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, waynet said:

Can't see that this has been posted as yet.

Peter Shelley of 'Gee Baby' fame  23 March 2023

https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries/theglobeandmail/name/peter-shelley-obituary?id=51529860

He was also the original Alvin Stardust. As A&R manager and producer at Magnet records he recorded the original of My Coo Ca Chooh (so?), and made a few TV appearances to promote the single. Then the artist formerly known as Shane Fenton was signed up to promote the single instead, as he had other record company commitments.

6 hours ago, time said:

One for List of the Missed, as I had him last year in my "Randoms" team (assuming he gets a QO).

@An Fear Beag Presumably this counts for Hare's?

You presume wrong - I won't be accepting that. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Give it a few more hours and something acceptable will undoubtedly show up. 

4 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

You presume wrong - I won't be accepting that. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Give it a few more hours and something acceptable will undoubtedly show up. 

I'd be surprised if it doesn't, but I've been let down before!. I guess this notice unacceptable because its a 'paid for' notice?.

Like Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks, it wasn't his real name. I'm a bit shocked to learn that Alvin Stardust didn't sing "My Coo-Ca-Choo." Did they have the Alvin Stardust persona (described by Chrissie Hynde in NME as looking like "a 1966 queer-bar act") and go looking for someone to fit into it?

42 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Like Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks, it wasn't his real name. I'm a bit shocked to learn that Alvin Stardust didn't sing "My Coo-Ca-Choo." Did they have the Alvin Stardust persona (described by Chrissie Hynde in NME as looking like "a 1966 queer-bar act") and go looking for someone to fit into it?

I think more or less, they did - similarly the sound and general idea of Gary Glitter was fashioned before the crew behind the whole caper settled on perennial chancer Paul Raven (born Paul Gadd) to handle the lead vocals. 

Shelley was the producer behind the newly formed Magnet records, and the Alvin Stardust single was their first release and became a surprise hit. Shelley did make at least one TV appearance as Stardust on Lift Off, but couldn't take on the role full time as he had a record company to run.

That TV appearance seems to have been wiped, like many TV shows of the time. The first Alvin Stardust was very different, resembling a clown.

3 hours ago, time said:

I'd be surprised if it doesn't, but I've been let down before!. I guess this notice unacceptable because its a 'paid for' notice?.

Yep - "paid for" notices are disallowed. However given the low bar for obits in the Hares, it is almost certain that he will get what he needs

10 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Like Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks, it wasn't his real name.

Are you suggesting that two people independently decided to use a stage name and both came up with Pete Shelley?  Sell that script to Hollywood.

Seymour Stein, Sire Records co-founder who signed Madonna and Talking Heads, dead at 80. DDP pick.

• Like 6
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Are you suggesting that two people independently decided to use a stage name and both came up with Pete Shelley?  Sell that script to Hollywood.

The Peter Shelley who's just died was born Peter Southworth, while Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks was really Peter MacNeish. It is interesting that Pete Shelley doesn't seem to have remembered the other Shelley, who'd been in the charts only a year or so before.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2023 at 00:43, tracy said:

Seymour Stein, Sire Records co-founder who signed Madonna and Talking Heads, dead at 80. DDP pick.

One of the few music biz bods 'immortalized' in song. If they'd signed with Sire, they'd seymour money, but lose their poor wee Caledonian souls, I guess is the gist.

3 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

One of the few music biz bods 'immortalized' in song.

Well, he didn't sign Belle & Sebastian, so they used their "art" haha!

We shall see less of Seymour.

Can't see anything news-wise but David Hepworth has said on Twitter that Chris Farlowe has died.

EDIT after checking this year's DDP team: Oh FFS, I had him in my team the other year too as well... :rant:

• Like 1