maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Guest Light User

Marshall Lytle, 76, one of Bill Haley's Comets.

Even though Marshall has an incredible spirit and an amazingly positive attitude, those close to him know that he is going through a very serious medical situation. Your prayers of support and healing would be most appreciated...

Word reaches me that Marshall Lytle died today.

Indeed:

Marshall Lytle, bassist with Bill Haley's Saddlemen-- later re-named the Comets, died Saturday (May 25) of lung cancer at his home in Port Richie, Florida. He was 80. Marshall joined Bill while a teen in 1951, playing "slap bass" with an upright instrument that created percussion (many rockabilly bands had no drummer for this reason, though the Comets had a good one in Dick Richards). He evolved a comedic style of performing with the bass (such as riding it like a horse) that was emulated by many others, including Elvis' bassist, Bill Black. Marshall co-wrote Bill's 1953 hit, "Crazy Man, Crazy" (#12) and performed on such classics as "Rock Around The Clock" (#1-1955), "Shake, Rattle & Roll" (#7-1954), "Dim, Dim The Lights" (#11-1955) and "Birth Of The Boogie" (#17-1955). He left Bill in 1955 over his meager salary and helped form the Jodimars, who recorded for Capitol Records with no chart success but became a Las Vegas staple. When the band broke up for good in the early '60s, he changed his name to Tommy Page and got into real estate and interior design. He re-joined the Comets on a reunion tour in 1987 and played with them for the next twenty years. Marshall was inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame with the rest of the original Comets in 2012, correcting an oversight when Bill was inducted solo in 1987.

Did he get Around The Clock care in his final days?

• Like 1

Clarence Burke Jr, lead singer with Jackson 5-precursors/black Osmonds The Five Stairsteps, has died aged 62. Their big US hit was 1970s positivity paean O-o-h Child, which reminds me of Love Me for a Reason, for some reason. Not quite sure which one's Clazza, hopefully it's the dude who nicked Jimi's hat.

Little Tony, one of the biggest-selling musicians in Italian chart history and, I assume, the only Sammarinese citizen to have ever had a UK top 40 single, has died aged 72. Big favourite of my father's, big favourite of every guinea over a certain age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6evhDnQtSDw

Marvin Junior

The Dells vocalist and founder member has died aged 77 - confirmed by his son Marvin Junior Junior!

N.B. Wikipedia states another founder member Chuck Barksdale is "gravely ill".

Marvin Junior

The Dells vocalist and founder member has died aged 77 - confirmed by his son Marvin Junior Junior!

N.B. Wikipedia states another founder member Chuck Barksdale is "gravely ill".

British obit doubtful, not even sure the Rotten Dead Pool would count Barkside.

Meic Stevens got the Featured Album treatment on Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone yesterday, his throat cancer was mentioned, but 6 Music's attention is a heads up on whether he'd get a national obit.

Sharon Jones

Probably not well know enough to get a UK Obit, but Sharon Jones of Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings has postponed the release of her next album and tour to undergo surgery for early stage Bile Duct Cancer.

Sharon Jones

Probably not well know enough to get a UK Obit, but Sharon Jones of Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings has postponed the release of her next album and tour to undergo surgery for early stage Bile Duct Cancer.

Could well get the obit through the Amy Winehouse connection. However, isn't that the cancer that saw off Ray Manzarek ? I gather he had it for several years so it could take a while ....

If Jones doesn't get a Guardian obit I'd be stunned. Every time the Dap Kings drop another entry-level retro soul joint it gets jizzed up by places like The Guardian and the late, unlamented Word Magazine.

I had not heard of her until that article but it seems like she has a cult like following in the UK and Usa that would give her an obit, but as Toast mentioned her cancer is one that seems to take a while for someone to die from.

Jim Sundquist of The Fendermen died on Tuesday at the age of 75.

The Fendermen's biggest hit was

, a cover of the Jimmie Rodgers hit from 1930

Arturo Vega best known for creating the Ramones logo, several of their album covers has died at the age of 65

Elizabeth McIntosh

Not a pop star herself, but the sister of much missed "Associates" singer Billy MacKenzie, who committed suicide in 1997. Noteworthy in that she is the fourth MacKenzie sibling to die in tragic circumstances - the others died of a drug overdose and in a fire.

Elizabeth McIntosh

Not a pop star herself, but the sister of much missed "Associates" singer Billy MacKenzie, who committed suicide in 1997. Noteworthy in that she is the fourth MacKenzie sibling to die in tragic circumstances - the others died of a drug overdose and in a fire.

Read his biog a few years ago...tragic family.:(

Alexandra Stan

Romanian Pop Singer and former DDP pick cancelled concert appearances last week and claimed it was because of a car accident is now admitting that it was all a lie to cover up that her boyfriend/manager beat her up and needed to go to hospital for that.

Looks like anothe Rhianna/Tina Turner situation

Charles Saatchi might be looking for a new girlfriend. I wonder if he likes Romanian chicks. ;)

• Like 1

Alexandra Stan [...] is now admitting that it was all a lie to cover up that her boyfriend/manager beat her up and needed to go to hospital for that.

Did he hurt his hands? Tragic, but not particularly on topic.

regards,

Hein

I don't know if there's a separate thread for rock stars but if there is I couldn't find it.

Anyway, according to Huffington Post, Axl Rose walks with a cane now (!). Unless he was just thinking of buying that cane from the yard sale and was just playing around with it....

http://www.huffingto..._n_3454288.html