maryportfuncity

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Guest Guest_God

Yep :dead:

Yep :dead:

God that's not you. You don't exist. It said so in the letters page of today's Sunday Telegraph of all places.

• Like 1

God that's not you. You don't exist. It said so in the letters page of today's Sunday Telegraph of all places.

Must be true, then.

regards,

Hein

"If everything must have a cause, then God must have a cause. If, however, we can conceive of something happening without a cause it might just as well be the universe as God," says Mr O'Brien from Gwent in the Sunday Telegraph. I guess he should know.

God didn't write the Bible. It was a committee.

Guest Guest_God

I think therfore I am! :dead:

I think therfore I am! :dead:

Not according to Mr O'Brien who seems a little better informed than you are. He's from Gwent.

Guest Guest_God

Feck :dead:

Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers by Harry Harrison.

The best book ever written, it has everything. Comedy, romance, pathos, death, adventure, you name it.

A bit like Mr. Nonsense, in fact.

i thought his "bill, the galactic hero" was much better. and it has pictures, too.

I read "The DaVinci Code" a few weeks ago.

An hour of my life I won't get back :o

I wonder what Dan Brown would think if he knew that Mr B reads it on the lavatory?

I wonder what Dan Brown would think if he knew that Mr B reads it on the lavatory?

I just started reading it this afternoon, fell asleep after the first 50 pages :rolleyes: but i'll put that down to having a cold.

I finished Trueman Capote's 'In Cold Blood' last night, an excellent book that I highly recommend, although I do have a morbid interest in murder which I blame on reading a book on Bernard Spilsbury when I was a teenager.

I've just finished getting through a few things:

-"The Mitrokhin Archive: The KGB In Europe And The West" -- Vasili Mitrokhin and Christopher Andrew

-"The Mitrokhin Archive II: The KGB And The World" -- Vasilit Mitrokhin and Christopher Andrew

-"Spy Handler: Memoir of a KGB Officer" -- Victor Cherkashin and Gregory Feifer

-"Ascending Peculiarity: Edward Gorey on Edward Gorey" -- ed. Karen Wilkin

..and finally, I reread "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov.

:o

I read this book last week, perhaps a poignant fictional memory of something that happened 65 years ago this week, but an engrossing, sad and humorous read.

I just finished reading a book called Death of an Outsider by MC. Beaton. Great story!

I just started reading it this afternoon, fell asleep after the first 50 pages :rolleyes: but i'll put that down to having a cold.

I finished Trueman Capote's 'In Cold Blood' last night, an excellent book that I highly recommend, although I do have a morbid interest in murder which I blame on reading a book on Bernard Spilsbury when I was a teenager.

Spilsbury,recommended,the innocence of forensics.From Hanratty to Moors murderers,via Jamaica.Capote,never tried,seen the TV ,will make an effort.Just for Windsor.

Da Vinca read a couple of weeks ago - nothing spectacular.

Each to his/her own.

Am pleasantly surprised to find this thread revived, as I was recently thinking of posting in it. Thank goodness it hadn't been deleted as irrelevant... :o

I am just finishing Mary Roach's latest contribution to Popular Science, entitled Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife, which is her sequel to Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavres, as aforediscussed in this thread. I find her latest book as well-written as her former, and given that I know her research on the former to be quite thorough, I am confident in her research of the latter. I enjoy her writing (even though she's a journalist); I find it both informative and entertaining as anything which falls under the rubric of "Popular" should be.

This one's all about the various "scientific" tests which have been undertaken over the years, with the aim of discovering whether or not there is a soul. As I began this book, I found her writing ever-so-slightly OTT, but then as I got into it, I began to enjoy it more, and must admit that I find her writing style pleasurable to read. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in a general overview of the subject. As noted above, I trust her research, and would therefore also recommend the bibliography as, at least, a good starting point.

In Eternum, assuming I was to opt not to read it could you give me a brief insight into the the main point, i.e. does she reckon there's an afterlife?

I finished Trueman Capote's 'In Cold Blood' last night, an excellent book that I highly recommend..

His sidekick, Harper Lee, has to be knocking on a bit.

I finished Trueman Capote's 'In Cold Blood' last night, an excellent book that I highly recommend..

How to kill a novelist?...

How to kill a novelist?...

To Kill a Novelist :)

Well done, BS!

Actually, she just made a recent (or at the time I posted the article it was recent anyhow) appearance that I noted here.

In Eternum, assuming I was to opt not to read it could you give me a brief insight into the the main point, i.e. does she reckon there's an afterlife?

Well mpfc, I would say that she does a reasonably good job of pursuing the investigation objectively. However, I would also say that she has a fairly low opinion about a lot of the experiments/research she discusses. Or maybe it's less a 'low opinion' and more 'skepticism'. Quite possibly both.

With about five pages left to read, my impression is that she does not believe any of the existing research (aka the stuff she's looked into) is conclusive evidence of an afterlife/soul. Whether or not she believes that there actually is an afterlife/soul, well... she does not commit herself either way.

Cheers

I may still read it, thought 'Stiff' an absolute page turner.

I know it's very sad and square - but I'm reading a biography of the King of Tonga by Amaraki Taulahi. It's actually very good, the King's Mother, Queen Salote was quite a charactor.

• Like 1