16. Cuba Gooding Jr. 1996

17. Robin Williams 1997

18. Benicio del Toro 2000

19. Jim Broadbent 2001

20. Christopher Cooper 2002

21. Tim Robbins 2003

22. Morgan Freeman 2004

23. George Cloony 2005

I saw an article about Tele Santana, the former Brazil football coach ('82 and '86 World Cups), who is apparently "in intensive care in hospital, had a leg amputated three years ago, and is currently struggling for breath because of an intestinal infection." He smoked for many years.

But is he famous enough?

I saw an article about Tele Santana, the former Brazil football coach ('82 and '86 World Cups), who is apparently "in intensive care in hospital, had a leg amputated three years ago, and is currently struggling for breath because of an intestinal infection." He smoked for many years.

But is he famous enough?

Yes, he is - he'll get a mention on the BBC & his illness has already been mentioned by Reuters UK, but I don't think he'll make it to 2007.

CP, Edgar Ray Killen might. I've heard of him and the film link might just be enough....

But is he famous enough?

Yes, he is - he'll get a mention on the BBC & his illness has already been mentioned by Reuters UK, but I don't think he'll make it to 2007.

CP, Edgar Ray Killen might. I've heard of him and the film link might just be enough....

plus the added appeal of his last name. I'm with O³, the film is likely enough to get him past the famousness threshold.

I see George Gaynes who played Henry in Punky Brewster is still alive - he'll be 90 next year

Also born in 1917 but probably not famous enough is Richard Baer who wrote for Bewitched

Outside chances

Bernard Fox born in 1927 played Dr. Bombay in Bewitched

Alice Ghostly born 1926 played Esmeralda in Bewitched

Bella Emberg only relatively young at 69 but you never know

I don't know if he's already been mentioned, or if no-one but my ukulele-mad other-half even knows of his existance, but Bill Tapia is getting on a bit now. Last legs maybe??

I don't know if he's already been mentioned, or if no-one but my ukulele-mad other-half even knows of his existance, but Bill Tapia is getting on a bit now. Last legs maybe??

well Six, I'd never heard of Mr. Tapioca, nor apparently has Wiki, so he'd be the longest of longshots to pass our unofficial famousness test. But it's nice to know there are ukulele fans out there. Ask your other half about Don Ho, whom most Americans know, but precious few outside the US have heard of.

And a belated welcome to the site.

Academy Awards Winners for Best Supporting Actress

1. Celeste Holm 1947

2. Eva Marie Saint 1954

3. Dorothy Malone 1956

4. Miyoski Umeki 1957

5. Shirley Jones 1960

6. Rita Moreno 1961

7. Patty Duke 1962

8. Estelle Parsons 1967

9. Goldie Hahn 1969

10. Cloris Leechman 1971

11. Tatum O’Neal 1973

12. Lee Grant 1975

13. Vanessa Redgrave 1977

14. Mary Steenburgen 1980

15. Linda Hunt 1983

16. Anjelica Huston 1985

17. Dianne Wiest 1986

18. Olympia Dukakis 1987

19. Geena Davis 1988

20. Brenda Fricker 1989

21. Whoopi Goldberg 1990

22. Mercedes Ruehl 1991

23. Marisa Tomei 1992

24. Anna Paquin 1993

25. Mira Sorvino 1994

26. Juliette Binoche 1996

27. Kim Basinger 1997

28. Judi Dench 1998

29. Angelina Jolie 1999

30. Marcia Gay Harden 2000

31. Jennifer Connelly 2001

32. Catherine Zeta-Jones 2002

33. Renee Zellweger 2003

34. Cate Blanchett 2004

35. Rachel Weisz 2005

...well Six, I'd never heard of Mr. Tapioca, nor apparently has Wiki, so he'd be the longest of longshots to pass our unofficial famousness test. But it's nice to know there are ukulele fans out there. Ask your other half about Don Ho, whom most Americans know, but precious few outside the US have heard of.

And a belated welcome to the site.

Thank you! :D

My husband has heard of Don Ho, who apparently plays quite a traditional uke-style. (?) He said I should ask if you've heard of Jake Shimabukuro - he's more modern and funky,... apparently.(!).. I don't believe he's any nearer to death than I am at the moment either, so I shouldn't be discussing him here. :old:

To all uke fans out there, visit Fourth Peg... you can ramble on about way-interesting( :D ) things there.

:old:

Anyone know what Nina van Pallandt from Nina and Frederick is upto? She's still alive(born 1932)ut there doesn't seem to be much info on her after 1994 when Frederick was murdered

Okay, my next series of posts is going to involve the cabinet level secretaries of the Presidents of the United States. Each President usually has about 14 Secretaries (this changes as Depts are added, split up or eliminated completely...Homeland Security is a good example, Veterans Affairs, etc.) The current cabinet is composed of 15 officers:

Secretaries of:

1. State

2. Attorney General

3. Interior

4. Transportation

5. Energy

6. Agriculture

7. Health and Human Wellness

8. Housing and Urban Development

9. Labor

10. Defense

11. Homeland Security

12. Veteran Affairs

13. Treasury

14. Education

15. Commerce

Anyway, you can expect me to post the officers still clinging to the mortal coil over the next couple of days. Just from my initial forays into the available resources, it doesn't seem like anyone from any administration prior to Kennedy is still alive. To avoid repetition, people that served in more than one department are going to be listed only once, in whatever department they served in that has the greatest stature as judged by line of succession.

Okay, my next series of posts is going to involve the cabinet level secretaries of the Presidents of the United States. Each President usually has about 14 Secretaries (this changes as Depts are added, split up or eliminated completely...Homeland Security is a good example, Veterans Affairs, etc.) The current cabinet is composed of 15 officers:

Secretaries of:

1. State

2. Attorney General

3. Interior

4. Transportation

5. Energy

6. Agriculture

7. Health and Human Wellness

8. Housing and Urban Development

9. Labor

10. Defense

11. Homeland Security

12. Veteran Affairs

13. Treasury

14. Education

15. Commerce

Anyway, you can expect me to post the officers still clinging to the mortal coil over the next couple of days. Just from my initial forays into the available resources, it doesn't seem like anyone from any administration prior to Kennedy is still alive. To avoid repetition, people that served in more than one department are going to be listed only once, in whatever department they served in that has the greatest stature as judged by line of succession.

This is the type of dedication to obscure detail that makes the DL what it is. Looking forward to the results of your research LB@5o'c, and to seeing how many pass the UK (and international) famousness test.

It Begins:

State

1. Condoleeza Rice (G.W. Bush)

2. Colin Powell (G.W. Bush)

3. Madeleine Albright (Clinton)

4. Warren Christopher (Clinton)

5. Lawrence Eagleburger (G.H.W. Bush)

6. James Baker (G.H.W. Bush)

7. George Shultz (Reagan)

8. Alexander Haig (Reagan)

9. Henry Kissinger (Nixon/Ford)

State

1. Condoleeza Rice (G.W. Bush) (November 14, 1954)

2. Colin Powell (G.W. Bush) (April 5, 1937)

3. Madeleine Albright (Clinton) (May 15, 1937)

4. Warren Christopher (Clinton) (October 27, 1925)

5. Lawrence Eagleburger (G.H.W. Bush) (August 1, 1930)

6. James Baker (G.H.W. Bush) (April 28, 1930)

7. George Shultz (Reagan) (December 13, 1920)

8. Alexander Haig (Reagan) (December 2, 1924)

9. Henry Kissinger (Nixon/Ford) (May 27, 1923)

Several good candidates there. I can't be arsed to look it up, but at least Kissinger, Haig and Schultz have been mentioned before.

regards,

Hein

Changing direction completely . I just looked up the Grubleweeds on the net and it seems they're still touring. The little fat bald one doesn't look too healthy though. There's every chance he may do a Gene Pitney on us

Treasury

1. John Snow (G.W. Bush)

2. Paul O’Neill (G.W. Bush)

3. Lawrence Summers (Clinton)

4. Robert Rubin (Clinton)

5. Lloyd Bentsen (Clinton)

6. Nicholas Brady (G.H.W. Bush)

7. W. Michael Blumenthal (Carter)

Treasury

1. John Snow (G.W. Bush)

2. Paul O’Neill (G.W. Bush)

3. Lawrence Summers (Clinton)

4. Robert Rubin (Clinton)

5. Lloyd Bentsen (Clinton)

6. Nicholas Brady (G.H.W. Bush)

7. W. Michael Blumenthal (Carter)

From a European POV all these men are problematic in the famousness department.

regards,

Hein

Yea...and Treasury is a major department too. He gets his signature on the currency. I imagine the people from the less high-profile departments will be complete unknowns over there (they're virtually unknown over here too, even the incumbents.) Interestingly though, Thomas Kleppe, (b. in the 20's) Sec. of Interior for Ford apparently has alzheimers. Might be worth keeping an eye on him.

Yea...and Treasury is a major department too. He gets his signature on the currency. I imagine the people from the less high-profile departments will be complete unknowns over there (they're virtually unknown over here too, even the incumbents.) Interestingly though, William Saxbe, (b. in the 20's) Sec. of Interior for Ford apparently has alzheimers. Might be worth keeping an eye on him.

Now that I think of it, the only US government executives that get any press in Europe are the President, Vice-President, State and Defense.

regards,

Hein

Michael DeBakey.

Now 97, he has just had heart surgery, and is probably the oldest person to recover from it. DeBakey was in charge when they did the first transplant of an artificial heart, so he's probably, unwittingly, kept himself alive a little longer, aside from will-power.

Should (might?) sneak an obit in the UK, but not famous enough for a thread, IMHO, which is why I've included him here.

He may have "recovered" but heart surgery takes it out of you, especially at 97...

Link

Michael DeBakey.

Now 97, he has just had heart surgery, and is probably the oldest person to recover from it. DeBakey was in charge when they did the first transplant of an artificial heart, so he's probably, unwittingly, kept himself alive a little longer, aside from will-power.

Should (might?) sneak an obit in the UK, but not famous enough for a thread, IMHO, which is why I've included him here.

He may have "recovered" but heart surgery takes it out of you, especially at 97...

Link

This political basterd will surely be no more. 97 years old means death. Although luck has come in different directions back in the past. John Kenneth Galbraith was ill with pneumonia in the hospital and recovered.

So time will tell.

Interior

1. Gale Norton (G.W. Bush)

2. Bruce Babbitt (Clinton)

3. Manuel Lujan (G.H.W. Bush)

4. Don Hodel (Reagan)

5. William Clark (Reagan)

6. James Watt (Reagan)

7. Cecil Andrus (Carter)

8. Thomas Savig Klepp (Ford)

9. Walter Hickel (Nixon)

10. Stewart Udall (Kennedy/Johnson)