football_fan

Ideas and possibilities for 2007

Whilst perusing the breaking news on the Irish Independent I spotted this.

Sarandon death threats after speaking out against Iraq war

06:52 Sunday April 30th 2006

Hollywood star Susan Sarandon has said that she has had received death threats since speaking out against the war in Iraq.

In an interview to be screened on ITV1 today, the US actress claims it has left her very scared.

The long-term political activist also said that her family has been targeted in newspapers and by radio phone-ins.

Whilst perusing the breaking news on the Irish Independent I spotted this.

Sarandon death threats after speaking out against Iraq war

Hollywood star Susan Sarandon has said that she has had received death threats since speaking out against the war in Iraq.

"Since" speaking out against the Iraq war? I'd have thought both Susan and Tim would have had death threats from radical right-wing nuts for a good 15 years now. I suppose there is the 'against war=against our boys' mindset as a factor but all the same, they've spoken out against so much the US government does that I can't imagine the level of threats being that much increased.

What programme was this interview on btw? Huge fan of Susan Sarandon here :banghead: She's wonderful.

What programme was this interview on btw? Huge fan of Susan Sarandon here :banghead: She's wonderful.

It didn't say. Here's another report.

A minor actress from the 1930s who gained lasting fame as the Gainsborough Lady before the opening credits of each Gainsborough film. She's 93 this year and will receive broadsheet obits when she pops. No health report. May be worth a listing next year?

Hm... an idea and/or possibility for 2007, perhaps?

[Merged -- MH]

Edited by Magere Hein

A minor actress from the 1930s who gained lasting fame as the Gainsborough Lady before the opening credits of each Gainsborough film. She's 93 this year and will receive broadsheet obits when she pops. No health report. May be worth a listing next year?

But now that the threads are merged, what was her name again? :banghead:

Anyhow, I was going to hide this one for myself for 2007, but genarians.com has let the cat out of the bag so I present to you, Bo Yibo. Born in 1908, Yibo is the last of the 8 Immortals of Communist China and the most senior member of the party. China has kept awfully quiet about him lately and no news of his health has been allowed to dissiminate. Although he's a bit before my time, he's a fairly prominent figure and would almost certainly get a UK, if not BBC, obit.

Anyhow, I was going to hide this one for myself for 2007, but genarians.com has let the cat out of the bag so I present to you, Bo Yibo.

I noticed that too, and thought.. "Hmm..", but as I already have enough quasi-obscure Asians on my DDP long-list, I've left this one go.

No, no, no. Good idea to talk about Colombian footballers. Lady Di picked up on it a while ago

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1488

There are more dead players in Colombia's 94 team & Jamaica's 2002 team than France's 1958 team. :banghead:

Really? Can we get some support for this assertion please Mr. O?

Really? Can we get some support for this assertion please Mr. O?

Yep.

Colombia 1994: Andres Escobar (1967-1994), Herman Gaviria (who scored vs the Swiss) (1969-2002) Link

Jamaica 1998: Steve Malcolm (1970-2001), Link Peter Cargill (1964-2005) Link

French side of 1958: (Proof can be found on Wiki, the FFF (French footy site), etc etc.

Francois Remetter (1928- ), Raymond Kaelbel (1932- ), Andre Lerond (1930- ), Armand Penverne (1926- ), Robert Jonquet (1925- ), Jean-Jacques Marcel (1931- ), Maryan Wisnieski (1937- ), Just Fontaine (1933- ), Raymond Kopa (1931- ), Roger Piantoni (1931- ), Jean Vincent (1930- ), Claude Abbes (1927- ), Yvon Douis (1935- )

Maurice Lafont (1927-2005) is the only deceased player of that squad.

Bizarre, I know, but true. Also, The 1970 England squad has 5 players dead now (Osgood, Labone, Astle, Moore, Newton), which is two more than the (eventual - obviously minus the Babes & Jeff Hall who also died early) 1958 squad (Haynes, Clamp, Wright)!

Thanks Mr. Octopus - remarkable longevity from the France 1958 squad. I'll have what they're having.

Disgraced former Congressman Duke Cunningham.

Old news I know, but hold on. I hadn't known that one of his lawyer's arguments against the full sentence was that he was worried that he might die behind bars. Prostate cancer, depression and weight fluctuations are never a good combination. Obviously his lawyers were exaggerating his health, but I'd say he might be one to watch, if not now, then maybe in a few years.

Probably wouldn't be famous enough for DDP, definetely not for DL, but certainly for HDP. Just putting it out there.

I hadn't known that one of his lawyer's arguments against the full sentence was that he was worried that he might die behind bars. Prostate cancer, depression and weight fluctuations are never a good combination. Obviously his lawyers were exaggerating his health, but I'd say he might be one to watch, if not now, then maybe in a few years.

Probably wouldn't be famous enough for DDP, definetely not for DL, but certainly for HDP. Just putting it out there.

Biggsie material, if you ask me.

regards,

Hein

I recently found out that Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema is still alive at 89. Hazelhoff Roelfzema is well known in the Netherlands and the film made after his adventures as a WWII secret agent Soldaat van Oranje was a huge hit here and had some international success.

As far as I know he's in good health, but he hasn't appeared in public for a few years.

Possible DL material, I'd say.

regards,

Hein

I didn't know this guy was still alive. No health news but may be a good reserve in the future#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Dotrice

That's the father of Michelle Dotrice who played Betty in "Some Mothers Do Ave 'em"

You don't hear much about her these days. She had a fine, loud voice.

I didn't know this guy was still alive. No health news but may be a good reserve in the future#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Dotrice

That's the father of Michelle Dotrice who played Betty in "Some Mothers Do Ave 'em"

You don't hear much about her these days. She had a fine, loud voice.

She's married to Edward Woodward.

She's married to Edward Woodward.

Ol' "Three Planks" himself has kept a quieter profile in recent years. He looked okay the last time I saw him ('bout a year or two ago) but he's had a history of heart trouble, hasn't he?

Former Ajax Amsterdam and Man U football player Jesper Olsen (45) is in a Melbourne hospital after a stroke.

regards,

Hein

Former Ajax Amsterdam and Man U football player Jesper Olsen (45) is in a Melbourne hospital after a stroke.

regards,

Hein

It was a brain haemorrage wasn't it?

Sometimes you have to say that footballers get Parkinsons, Alzheimers, and other brain/head afflications through football but as Jesper was so small, I can't recall him heading that many balls <_<

regards,

Hein

It was a brain haemorrage wasn't it?

Sometimes you have to say that footballers get Parkinsons, Alzheimers, and other brain/head afflications through football but as Jesper was so small, I can't recall him heading that many balls :lol:

He had Ron Atkinson as manager, that's enough to do anyones head in that would! :D

I know we have George Melly on the list so how about his sister Andree? I don't know an awful lot about what she's up to now but she was fairly ubiquitous in the 1960s and 1970s and then she just fell off the radar. She was born in 1932 if that makes any difference