Godot

Assassinations

Attempt on Robert Fico, Slovak PM. Currently in a life-threatening condition.

There you fucking go Willz.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TQR said:

Attempt on Robert Fico, Slovak PM. Currently in a life-threatening condition.

There you fucking go Willz.

Thank you very fucking much. ;)

It's not an assassination unless he actually dies, is it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

I can't fucking win.

• Haha 1

Otherwise someone throwing an egg at John Prescott could be classified as an assassination

4 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

I like the Scottish criminal law here (not sure about anywhere else, mind).

Any attempt at a crime can be prosecuted as the crime itself.

Attempted rape, attempted fraud, attempted murder, etc etc.

Anyhow, I think it's good to have attempts here, much easier to follow the marked men/women. Many politicians have more than one attempt on their life, for example.

3 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Otherwise someone throwing an egg at John Prescott could be classified as an assassination

Attempted assassination quite clearly involves an intent to kill. 

Should have made Prescott a poisoned omelette.

• Like 1

Interesting that a Slovak minister said this:

For the first time in 31 years of our democratic sovereign republic, it happened that someone decided to express political opinion not in elections but with a gun on the street.

Because Fico himself was deposed as PM in 2018 after he had 2 investigative journalists shot dead.

• Like 5

Already the conspiracy theories are running rampant. The 2 main ones from what I can tell are the shooter is Ukrainian (AFAIK their identity hasn't been disclosed yet), the other is that he happened to oppose recent WHO reforms put forward that would supposedly have restricted freedom.

2 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

Already the conspiracy theories are running rampant. The 2 main ones from what I can tell are the shooter is Ukrainian (AFAIK their identity hasn't been disclosed yet), the other is that he happened to oppose recent WHO reforms put forward that would supposedly have restricted freedom.

Robert Fico was shot by 71-year-old Juraj C. from Levice. In the past, he worked as a security guard in a shopping center. Eight years ago, he announced on the Internet that he was collecting signatures for the establishment of a new political party. He was also an amateur writer.

Robert Fico's health condition is serious, said Erik Tomáš (Interim Minister of Labour, Social Affairs and Family) for a local TV station Markíza. According to his information, the prime minister is still being operated on, and the operation will take longer because the attacker hit several of the prime minister's organs.

There should be a press briefing by the hospital in 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, ObakeFilter said:

Robert Fico's health condition is serious, said Erik Tomáš (Interim Minister of Labour, Social Affairs and Family) for a local TV station Markíza. According to his information, the prime minister is still being operated on, and the operation will take longer because the attacker hit several of the prime minister's organs.

There should be a press briefing by the hospital in 10 minutes.

Could likely be a Robert F Kennedy situation, where he lingers on a while.

Depends if his vital organs have been damaged and whether he is beyond help, or whether there is still hope for him.

Crocodile tears from the two ministers. Going on about social media and journalists stirring this up.  Chap had to resign in 2018 over the murder of two journalists investigating him.

(Two wrongs don't make right just to clarify)

• Like 1

Nah, chat shit get banged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Crocodile tears from the two ministers. Going on about social media and journalists stirring this up.  Chap had to resign in 2018 over the murder of two journalists investigating him.

(Two wrongs don't make right just to clarify)

Wait he murdered two journalists?

The minute I saw he'd been in surgery for 3 hours I assumed he'd make it. They'd clearly stabilised him enough to operate and if they could patch him up he'd likely recover. No head injuries, so could have physical impacts (his stomach was hit, legs and arms) but unlikely to be mentally incapacitated. So will remain, frankly, a horrible man then.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Guy was an interior decorator 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

The minute I saw he'd been in surgery for 3 hours I assumed he'd make it. They'd clearly stabilised him enough to operate and if they could patch him up he'd likely recover. No head injuries, so could have physical impacts (his stomach was hit, legs and arms) but unlikely to be mentally incapacitated. So will remain, frankly, a horrible man then.

Something of the George Wallace scenario about all this. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Something of the George Wallace scenario about all this. 

You think he's going to come out of this a reformed character? I'd love to think so, but this is a man who has ordered journalists murdered and a brush with death did nothing to temper Bolsonaro's philosophies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

You think he's going to come out of this a reformed character? I'd love to think so, but this is a man who has ordered journalists murdered and a brush with death did nothing to temper Bolsonaro's philosophies.

I meant more in terms of the circumstances. The Wallace assassination attempt was four shots to the chest and abdomen. Wallace was touch and go for a while and needed a five hour operation to survive. Sounds very similar circumstances to this situation. 

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

You think he's going to come out of this a reformed character?

I know that after Wallace was shot he apologised for his previous actions and things like and did seem like a different(ish) person but it's always been a belief of mine that his character and attitude before the assassination attempt was not entirely sincere and about half of what he did and said was in order to get publicity and support, he was a deeply horrible racist person but things like the famous blocking of a school entrance would not have been something he would have done would it not have gained him support in his own state and increased his national recognisability. I also doubt his own bigoted views changed much (if at all) afterwards, I think he just realised that the position he held was becoming increasingly unpopular and dangerous and he was again just doing whatever would help him stay in power, and now stay alive. So I doubt Fico will change.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

I meant more in terms of the circumstances. The Wallace assassination attempt was four shots to the chest and abdomen. Wallace was touch and go for a while and needed a five hour operation to survive. Sounds very similar circumstances to this situation. 

Chest/abdomen is quite different from arms/legs/one to the stomach. Many more vital systems in the chest/abdomen - I think Wallace was paralysed post-assassination attempt IIRC? A punctured stomach could potentially mean a stoma or something like that, but I can't see him being paralysed, unless it passed through and struck his spinal column, but I feel like rumours about that may have leaked out by now. Guess time will tell.