Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Well found, Cat! Lovely to see that again. It was the 1991 Derby, so 25 years ago! She was positively gleeful, wasn't she.

There was a clip from that same scene on Youtube a number of years ago where the Queen turns round and calls the Queen Mum "mummy". Which I liked.

Never seen this before but what a great clip! The smirk at the end was brilliant. This seems surprisingly intimate access, especially in the tricky times of the early 90s for The Firm. Anyone know what prompted it and what the documentary was actually about?

On a similar theme, Her Majesty has today won a voucher to spend in Tesco (thought to be a whopping £50) at the Royal Windsor Horse Show.

It was a documentary commissioned by the BBC for the Queen's 40th year on the throne and was titled Elizabeth R.

Here's all one hour 30 minutes of it.

The mummy bit is here:

https://youtu.be/vgWB4udN16k?t=4531

and when pulling her own name out of the sweepstake 'hat' she refers to herself as the queen rather than me:

https://youtu.be/vgWB4udN16k?t=4632

I love the little derisory laugh she has at sixteen pounds.

I don't hear it as derisory - I think she seemed genuinely pleased. The same with the Tesco voucher this week.

The Queen has a reputation for being quite frugal, so it seems she has a firm grasp on the value of money and enjoys a little windfall as much as the rest of us.

I'm starting to get the feeling the queens a bit of a cunt!

I don't hear it as derisory - I think she seemed genuinely pleased. The same with the Tesco voucher this week.

The Queen has a reputation for being quite frugal, so it seems she has a firm grasp on the value of money and enjoys a little windfall as much as the rest of us.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think she enjoys the thrill of winning as much as the next monarch, I'm just curious what HM is going to find to spend £50 on in Tesco. Buck Pal refused to comment on who will actually spend the money.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think she enjoys the thrill of winning as much as the next monarch, I'm just curious what HM is going to find to spend £50 on in Tesco. Buck Pal refused to comment on who will actually spend the money.

I'm sure I saw a clip from the documentary that she stopped from ever airing in full again where she went to the local shop and paid for whatever she was buying in cash.

I'm sure I saw a clip from the documentary that she stopped from ever airing in full again where she went to the local shop and paid for whatever she was buying in cash.

It was in the 1969 documentary Royal Family. She popped into a corner shop near Balmoral with Prince Edward. She shopped there on a regular basis and the shop was awarded a royal warrant.

https://youtu.be/PNgO31HUiFM?t=136

• Like 1

It was in the 1969 documentary Royal Family. She popped into a corner shop near Balmoral with Prince Edward. She shopped there on a regular basis and the shop was awarded a royal warrant.

https://youtu.be/PNgO31HUiFM?t=136

You're quite the royal expert Cat. I'm familiar with the 'scandalous' 1969 documentary, hence I was so surprised she allowed such intimate access for her 40th Jubilee. I seem to recall reading somewhere that among the things she keeps in her handbag (lipstick, tissues, etc.) is a small quantity of change. You know, just in case...

In the silver jubilee year 1977, Derby was promoted to city status and a gay friend of mine, Cllr Jeffery Tillett, was the mayor. At the time the queen's police bodyguard was Commander Trestrail and the Derby Telegraph published a photo of the three together.

3qt.jpg

Apologies for the quality, it was the only one I could find.

About five years later, Trestrail was forced to resign after being blackmailed by a rentboy. Tillett owned a gallery/wine bar and some wag hung the photo in the gallery with the caption 'Three Queens Together'.

• Like 1

She might use it to buy her Christmas presents. Apparently the family custom is to give each other silly presents that only cost a couple of quid.

First time I've looked at Her Majesty and seriously considered the Duke of Edinburgh might outlast her. Poor old duck has a remarkably blank expression (Parkinson's?); normally all the equestrian displays would light up her face - not last night. Any other 90 year old subjected to a 14 hour working day and ye'd shout cruel.

First time I've looked at Her Majesty and seriously considered the Duke of Edinburgh might outlast her. Poor old duck has a remarkably blank expression (Parkinson's?); normally all the equestrian displays would light up her face - not last night. Any other 90 year old subjected to a 14 hour working day and ye'd shout cruel.

Didn't watch last night, but seen some of the photos still think the Duke of Edinburgh will go first he looks like death warmed up to be honest. I'm no Royalist and think they are pampered beyond belief but i agree it is cruel at times that the Queen and the Duke who are now both in there 90's have to spend hours at events that they have no interest in, in the freezing cold can't do there health any good, i certainly wouldn't want my 88 year old Grandma having to do some of the things the Queen has to do despite the fact she is in pretty good nick for her age.

• Like 1

Here is a photo from the event. Yes, she doesn't look her best: http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/queen-elizabeth-ii-and-prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh-attend-the-picture-id531658594

Here is a photo from the event. Yes, she doesn't look her best: http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/queen-elizabeth-ii-and-prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh-attend-the-picture-id531658594

It's very easy to look at one bad photo and read too much into it. Actually watch the footage. She looked alert, jovial and certainly not frail.

One I remember was the Queen telling Ted Heath he was sent to Baghdad because he was expendable.

https://youtu.be/T8dQOqCbcT4?t=144

Ah yes, and the press had lots of fun when he was on his way back because he stayed overnight in Jordan and the BBC reported "Ted Heath spent last night in Amman!"

• Like 2

Didn't watch last night, but seen some of the photos still think the Duke of Edinburgh will go first he looks like death warmed up to be honest. I'm no Royalist and think they are pampered beyond belief but i agree it is cruel at times that the Queen and the Duke who are now both in there 90's have to spend hours at events that they have no interest in, in the freezing cold can't do there health any good, i certainly wouldn't want my 88 year old Grandma having to do some of the things the Queen has to do despite the fact she is in pretty good nick for her age.

That leads to a good question: do the Queen's doctors ever advise her to give certain events on cold nights a miss? If so, she must be defying them. If not, are they sycophants? Do they genuinely believe she is still robust enough to handle her workload and the aforementioned cold nights?

That leads to a good question: do the Queen's doctors ever advise her to give certain events on cold nights a miss? If so, she must be defying them. If not, are they sycophants? Do they genuinely believe she is still robust enough to handle her workload and the aforementioned cold nights?

They obviously do, and she may be.

I mean, it's not like the job involves much heavy lifting is it?

She's carried most of the rest of 'em for the last 25 years.....

• Like 4

She's carried most of the rest of 'em for the last 25 years.....

On that note, I did manage a few laughs at the Channel Four sitcom The Windsors when I finally watched one. Especially at the basically feckless family of Prince Andrew and the generally fuck-witted Prince Edward.

Speaking of whom...WTF does he do all day?

I don't know, those ceremonial scissors for cutting ribbons must weigh a bit...

Anyone else think that the Queen looked exhausted delivering the speech today. Also, a subtle one but her and Prince Philip looked to be physically holding each other up when they walked through parliament.

Anyone else think that the Queen looked exhausted delivering the speech today. Also, a subtle one but her and Prince Philip looked to be physically holding each other up when they walked through parliament.

Hmmm... Uses lift instead of taking stairs for the first time:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/queens-speech-2016-elizabeth-parliament-lift-stairs-a7035836.html

• Like 1