Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Anyone else think that the Queen looked exhausted delivering the speech today. Also, a subtle one but her and Prince Philip looked to be physically holding each other up when they walked through parliament.

Hmmm... Uses lift instead of taking stairs for the first time:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/queens-speech-2016-elizabeth-parliament-lift-stairs-a7035836.html

So would most 90 year olds. Hell, so would most people 20 years younger.

• Like 2

Anyone else think that the Queen looked exhausted delivering the speech today. Also, a subtle one but her and Prince Philip looked to be physically holding each other up when they walked through parliament.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/queens-speech-2016-elizabeth-parliament-lift-stairs-a7035836.html

Yes but it is just interesting to note, especially with regard to that material a few pages earlier about her still being able to walk down those stairs backwards. It is our first really tangible sign of decline but I agree the old girl still has quite a bit of petrol left in her tank yet.

I certainly would need to at the moment :P

• Like 1

From the Sun:

"The source said: “The palace are massively worried about a new Scottish and possibly a Northern Irish referendum, and then the complete dissolution of the United Kingdom.

“Her Majesty would see that as a complete disaster, and she doesn’t want to say or do anything to contribute to it.”"

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1338739/queen-in-emergency-brexit-talks-with-david-cameron-to-avert-crisis-after-shock-of-out-vote/

Do you think an independent Scotland will keep her? And, oh my God, what happens to Balmoral?

Edit: I just read that Balmoral Castle is the Queen's private property. So she may keep it.

Do you think an independent Scotland will keep her? And, oh my God, what happens to Balmoral?

Edit: I just read that Balmoral Castle is the Queen's private property. So she may keep it.

Just to be deliberately mischievous, the current United Kingdoms (referring to the head of state, not the Act of Union) started when Elizabeth I was unable to produce any weans. Therefore, Scotland, out of the goodness of its heart, shared its monarchy with England. Despite a few hiccups along the way (the English beheading the Scottish monarch, the whole move to the Windsors, etc) its still the dynastic line of Scottish monarchism.

So, the real question to be asked is surely: will an independent England keep her? Will they be allowed to?

B):lol:

• Like 2

Just to be deliberately mischievous, the current United Kingdoms (referring to the head of state, not the Act of Union) started when Elizabeth I was unable to produce any weans. Therefore, Scotland, out of the goodness of its heart, shared its monarchy with England. Despite a few hiccups along the way (the English beheading the Scottish monarch, the whole move to the Windsors, etc) its still the dynastic line of Scottish monarchism.

So, the real question to be asked is surely: will an independent England keep her? Will they be allowed to?

We would just have to apply to join the Commonwealth.

• Like 1

Aye but Jimmy VI / I 's great great grand-dad on both his parents' side was Harry VII of England. :duck:

We would just have to apply to join the Commonwealth.

In the last referendum the Scots were adamant they would continue with the monarchy

The Queen's mum was Scottish, after all.

To be honest I quite like the sound of an independent Scotland and Wales, a re-united Ireland and the New Republic of Londinistan.

I'd be quite happy living in the Kingdom of Wessex.

• Like 2

With the royal spare part as your reigning Duke?

Think again, Toast. Edward; duke of a place that ain't even real is republicanism's dream boy!

Oh aye, and according to today's soaraway Sun when the Queen met Martin McGuinniess he asked how she was and she told him she was alive!

A wonderfully loaded reply that might owe something to Philip's advice.

• Like 1

Think again, Toast. Edward; duke of a place that ain't even real is republicanism's dream boy!

He's only an Earl.

And what do you mean, it's not a real place? :o I've lived here for years

King Alfred would have something to say to you about that!

alfred.jpg

• Like 2

He's only an Earl.

alfred.jpg

Yeah, but Bonnie Prince Charlie would have summat to say about which country - Scotland or England - laid legitimate claim to Carlisle. They die, the world moves on. As Nneil Young once said: "all the great explorers are now in granite laid."

Apologies re the Earl of Wessex but I notice you didn't defend his regality beyond disputing the actual Micky Mouse label attaching itself to His Royal Fecklessness

He's only an Earl.

alfred.jpg

Together with local boy, Thomas Hardy.

• Like 1

Theresa May becomes the Queen's 13th PM on the 13th of the month.

A bad omen for both?

Theresa May becomes the Queen's 13th PM on the 13th of the month.

A bad omen for both?

May-be.

I'll get me coat.

• Like 2