14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

"How long will you need to equalise Mr Southgate?"

"Oh, I'd say 10 minutes added on?" 

"I'm going to say that's pushing it, even 6 minutes is at the edge of what I can give you, but that's all".

Linesman holds up 5 minutes added on.

"6 minutes added" says ref. 

England score in 96th minute.

Also, tactics seemed to be fall over every time a Slovak was within breathing distance. Admittedly, with the connivance of the officials, won a free kick every time.

Yeah, it's not rigged you know.

You must've missed the bit where the Slovaks stayed down every time England built up any kind of momentum. Or the fact the ref booked 3 of ours in the first 12 minutes but didn't send theirs off for 2 very clear yellow cards later in the game. :rolleyes:

Not sure how a worldie from Bellingham is rigged. When he put 6 minutes up, I said they could give us 45 and we wouldn't score.

I won't bother making a lazy Scotland jibe, it's not worth the effort.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

lol the Ref was biased in favour of Slovakia if anything. 

And Southgate is too polite to start shouting at the referee. . 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

You must've missed the bit where the Slovaks stayed down every time England built up any kind of momentum. Or the fact the ref booked 3 of ours in the first 12 minutes but didn't send theirs off for 2 very clear yellow cards later in the game. :rolleyes:

Not sure how a worldie from Bellingham is rigged. When he put 6 minutes up, I said they could give us 45 and we wouldn't score.

I won't bother making a lazy Scotland jibe, it's not worth the effort.

It's not a dig at England, it's a dig at every game I've watched. :lol:

There's no way there were 6 minutes added. I've guessed at the time added and been mostly right. Only games I got it wrong was that one and Scotland v Hungary (see cast iron penalty that wasn't given).

England had momentum you say? Damned if I saw any effort except when they were scrambling at the end. There were very bad people on both sides, to misquote a former President. (And I've lived in England and have many English friends...you think I don't have a fondness for them? Especially Foden - RAWR!).

I'll say again - you can rig the time and hope something follows. Anyhow, I'm guessing Southgate said they would have to go home to a Number 10 reception with Sunak, and they pulled their socks up, very late.

I say - good luck against Switzerland.

• Haha 1

Georgia will probably lose this but have been an absolute joy at this tournament.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

It's not a dig at England, it's a dig at every game I've watched. :lol:

There's no way there were 6 minutes added. I've guessed at the time added and been mostly right. Only games I got it wrong was that one and Scotland v Hungary (see cast iron penalty that wasn't given).

England had momentum you say? Damned if I saw any effort except when they were scrambling at the end. There were very bad people on both sides, to misquote a former President. (And I've lived in England and have many English friends...you think I don't have a fondness for them? Especially Foden - RAWR!).

I'll say again - you can rig the time and hope something follows. Anyhow, I'm guessing Southgate said they would have to go home to a Number 10 reception with Sunak, and they pulled their socks up, very late.

I say - good luck against Switzerland.

Doubt we've got a hope against Switzerland right now, but they've proved me wrong before. When I say momentum, I'm being generous. Any time we had a decent passage of play and threatened to build a bit of pressure, down one of them would go for a 30-second breather. It was a stodgy match, quite stop-start. 6 minutes isn't that unusual in the modern game, where they're encouraged to stop the clock for everything. Remember the start of the Premier League season when games were regularly lasting 100 minutes? Out of interest, how many minutes did you think would be added on?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

you think I don't have a fondness for them? Especially Foden - RAWR!!

I have a sneaking suspicion this particular fondness has little to do with football. Call me a cynic :evil2:.

• Haha 1

It was apparently the 95th minute of 96. There was a whole other 84 seconds we could have used but didn't need.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

I have a sneaking suspicion this particular fondness has little to do with football. Call me a cynic :evil2:.

I'll call you perceptive. :lol:

3 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Doubt we've got a hope against Switzerland right now, but they've proved me wrong before. When I say momentum, I'm being generous. Any time we had a decent passage of play and threatened to build a bit of pressure, down one of them would go for a 30-second breather. It was a stodgy match, quite stop-start. 6 minutes isn't that unusual in the modern game, where they're encouraged to stop the clock for everything. Remember the start of the Premier League season when games were regularly lasting 100 minutes? Out of interest, how many minutes did you think would be added on?

I thought 3 to be added, maybe 4 at a push.

I'm afraid I don't watch Premier League games.

It might have been easier to accept if they did what they did at the World Cup and actually count independently how long was to be added on. This seemed a random outlier, compared with other games.

6 minutes ago, En Passant said:

He's a beauty. So are some of the players on other teams, but I never know what their names are as they don't put their names on the back of their shorts.

• Haha 2

It would be good for everyone, including himself, if somebody would just euthanize Cristiano Ronaldo.

In our office pool I predicted a Portugal win, but I WANT Slovenia to win.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

It would be good for everyone, including himself, if somebody would just euthanize Cristiano Ronaldo.

In our office pool I predicted a Portugal win, but I WANT Slovenia to win.

I went for a nap and missed the whole game. I've come to it very late.

Well, well. A missed penalty. :lol:

Oblak blocks the cock.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I went for a nap and missed the whole game. I've come to it very late.

Well, well. A missed penalty. :lol:

Compared to these two games today, the England game was riveting.

• Haha 1

How Ronaldo is still on the park is beyond me. He should have been subbed off ages ago. Guarantee they'd have won this in 90 minutes if they'd left him on the bench. Absolute egomaniac. Monster save from Oblak though. And Cesko should've scored!

• Like 1

This has Costa them! :D

• Like 1

In it's own way one of the best matches of the tournament.

• Like 2

Cristiano wanted it to be the Ronaldo Show. Instead, it's the Diogo Costa Show. He still hasn't scored (penalty shoot-outs don't count) and France will beat them in the next round and he'll cry some more. Can't wait.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

And Cesko should've scored!

Twice really, or at least one of the two. Pity.

France V Portugal it is then and it's not even the final. It was good watching Ronaldo cry.

Holland have Kid Jensen at the helm, while Romania have entrusted Alec Baldwin with the head coach job. He can always shoot someone if the second half doesn’t get any better for them.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

France V Portugal it is then and it's not even the final. It was good watching Ronaldo cry.

On their showings so far, this will be the dullest match of the tournament.

Terrific match between Turkey and Austria.

Bit of a culture clash: The Austrian fans were slinging plastic beer glasses at the Turks, while the Turkish fans were throwing coke cups at the Austrians!

What a save.

Oh and the cups thing? Idiots the lot of them. Does your team no good they'll get fined and makes you look like the yob you are.

CCTV them, ban them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, En Passant said:

What a save.

Oh and the cups thing? Idiots the lot of them. Does your team no good they'll get fined and makes you look like the yob you are.

CCTV them, ban them.

This. Won them the match right there. Immense reflexes. Great game, the Dutch will be pleased not to have to play Austria again.

And agreed on the cups too.

• Like 1

Playing for England is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman.

You pull on your stockings, do your warm up and then the boss gives you 30-seconds at the end to perform.

A Swiss Toney joke for Saturday*.

*shamelessly cribbed from somewhere or other.

• Haha 4