Well done Spain.   Just remember Scotland were the only team to beat you during the whole tournament.  

• Like 1

Cue the relentlessly tedious calls for Southgate to resign, as though changing the manager would magically get us the win next time.

Two finals and a semi-final in the last three majors is incredibly good going. Not beating Spain isn't a failure on our part, it's just that Spain are the better team. The win will come at some point if we can consistently get to the final of tournaments, and in the meantime we can all get on with our lives. 

Also, Cole Palmer's goal was beautiful. I hope we see a lot more of him (who doesn't? What a sexy man)

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, En Passant said:

If Alan Shearer ever says 'quality' or more specifically 'England just need a little bit more quality' in any commentary ever in future I'm putting a contract out on him.

and rightly so (a phrase which he coincidentally puts at the end of every third sentence during his MOTD punditry stints.

I am, despite what I said earlier, disappointed.

I'm not calling on Southgate to resign, lets face it, he wouldn't take any notice.

Well, anyway, I had a very enjoyable afternoon watching cricket! 

It does belong in the football thread because it was Mick Channon's XI  v  Ex-Saints.  Hilariously entertaining.

To be fair we lost to the one side in the tournament who looked strong in every single game. Impressed with the moments of skill that produced a few standout goals for us, and wondering of Kane is finished as an automatic name on the team sheet going forward. Next challenge is the forthcoming World Cup, Harry Kane is 31 in a fortnight and the other options who came off the bench seemed more effective given the way England were playing. I'm assuming Southgate goes now, four major tournaments, fourth in one World Cup, beaten quarter finalists (the opposition that night going on to the final) in the other and two times beaten finalists in the Euros, once the dust settles on the last tournament he'll likely leave us in the top four in the world (we slipped to fifth recently), so following on from him is going to be demanding.

• Like 1

Frank Lampard will take over. It just feels inevitable.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

My dad was being a backseat driver all through the match yelling at Pickford because he gives the ball away to the other team.

We need to drop Harry Kane, I grant you that. And that really should be a call Southgate makes (or rather should have made a while ago...)

It's easy for people to sit back and criticise, but the fact remains that the men's team have gotten further under Southgate than any other England manager in the past half a century. Making even the quarter-final was an achievement when I was young. Maybe he doesn't quite have what it takes to win and maybe it is time for someone else to have a go, but he's at least gotten us to a position where we are a consistent threat.

The players also shoulder some of the responsibility. The manager can only do so much.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

We need to drop Harry Kane, I grant you that. And that really should be a call Southgate makes (or rather should have made a while ago...)

It's easy for people to sit back and criticise, but the fact remains that the men's team have gotten further under Southgate than any England manager in the past half a century. Making even the quarter-final was an achievement when I was young. Maybe he doesn't quite have what it takes to win and maybe it is time for someone else to have a go, but he's at least gotten us to a position where we are a consistent threat.

The players also shoulder some of the responsibility. The manager can only do so much.

We need a post 2000 born striker to emerge. None are. It’s a big issue. 

43 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Frank Lampard will take over. It just feels inevitable.

That's the shittest of shit predictions even by your industrial-strength trolling standards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

That's the shittest of shit predictions even by your industrial-strength trolling standards.

The FA seem certian to stick to an Englishman and there only needs a few to say no for them to hire him. He has lots of mates in the media as well who will advocate for him. 

• Like 1

Such an expert.

7 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

The ignore function is a thing. I use it to spare myself the tedium of seeing his bile.

Too much tippy tappy stuff and not nearly enough aggression.  We should have put the fear of God into them and first target should have been someone's femur.  

15 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

The FA seem certian to stick to an Englishman and there only needs a few to say no for them to hire him. He has lots of mates in the media as well who will advocate for him. 

Wouldn't even be in the Top 5 Englishmen

Graham Potter

Eddie Howe

Sean Dyche

Kieran McKenna

Michael Carrick

I actually think Paul Chuckle would get the nod ahead of him

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Graham Potter

Eddie Howe

Sean Dyche

Kieran McKenna

Michael Carrick

I actually think Paul Chuckle would get the not ahead of him

One thing about Southgate that's hard to replicate is that he started as a temporary fix to deal with a sudden crisis (we'd ousted Big Sam after one game - went by mutual consent after the Telegraph's "Football for Sale" expose). Southgate was managing the youngsters, so likely wouldn't have ever had the chance if Big Sam had been less dodgy. To be fair, Southgate's lasting contribution includes lots of work done to the FA. So replacing him, they're likely looking for someone to do way more than manage the first team.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Graham Potter

Eddie Howe

Sean Dyche

Kieran McKenna

Michael Carrick

McKenna is from Northern Ireland ;)

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

One thing about Southgate that's hard to replicate is that he started as a temporary fix to deal with a sudden crisis (we'd ousted Big Sam after one game - went by mutual consent after the Telegraph's "Football for Sale" expose). Southgate was managing the youngsters, so likely wouldn't have ever had the chance if Big Sam had been less dodgy. To be fair, Southgate's lasting contribution includes lots of work done to the FA. So replacing him, they're likely looking for someone to do way more than manage the first team.  

Southhate was offered it first. He turned it down so they reluctantly went for Allardyce. 

29 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

McKenna is from Northern Ireland ;)

I did wonder with a name like that

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Southhate was offered it first. He turned it down so they reluctantly went for Allardyce. 

Yeah, then he accepted it once dodgy Big Sam had done his stint, let us never forget that man left the England job with a 100% record, albeit a tepid performance saved with a late goal

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Graham Potter

Eddie Howe

Sean Dyche

Kieran McKenna

Michael Carrick

Thinking about it over the last few days (I think Southgate had decided a while back he was done after the tournament and I don't blame him), I thought Howe was the most likely. Good track record, well thought of and, while he's in work, might be gettable. Not saying he'll readily give up Newcastle but when you look at the fact they have no European football this season, and Staveley and the other one who hired him have both departed and I suspect he may be ditched, rightly or wrongly, sooner rather than later for a showier name. Perhaps it's time to get out while the going's good.

• Like 1