What's Jason Sudeikis doing for the next few years?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Thinking about it over the last few days (I think Southgate had decided a while back he was done after the tournament and I don't blame him), I thought Howe was the most likely. Good track record, well thought of and, while he's in work, might be gettable. Not saying he'll readily give up Newcastle but when you look at the fact they have no European football this season, and Staveley and the other one who hired him have both departed and I suspect he may be ditched, rightly or wrongly, sooner rather than later for a showier name. Perhaps it's time to get out while the going's good.

That’s what the Times are suggesting. That Howe might be open to leaving and Newcastle happy to have him go. Second choice seems to be Graham Potter. 

Best team won the tournament, no doubt about that. However, if England hadn't decided that they would only ever attack when they fell behind, I think they would have both won it and been the best team. When they actually bothered to attack they generally scored fairly quickly (Slovakia apart) only to immediately sit back again.

Southgate has done an excellent job in some respects, and a bang average one in others. But his record at tournaments means he will go down as one of England's best managers. I think he's done now though, and I think the FA should go all out to try and get Pep.

Re. Harry Kane, he should be dropped if we have no intention of playing to his strengths, as was the case in this tournament. Despite that, and despite him clearly not being 100% fit, he still (jointly) won the Golden Boot - that's a measure of the man's quality.

2 hours ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Re. Harry Kane, he should be dropped if we have no intention of playing to his strengths, as was the case in this tournament. Despite that, and despite him clearly not being 100% fit, he still (jointly) won the Golden Boot - that's a measure of the man's quality.

Absolute poppycock. 3 goals in the whole tournament, one of which was a penalty is not what I'd call "a measure of the man's quality". He badly needed dropping.

37 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

Absolute poppycock. 3 goals in the whole tournament, one of which was a penalty is not what I'd call "a measure of the man's quality". He badly needed dropping.

In half a decade or so we might not have any strikers. They is no post 2000 looking that likely to bust through. The FA were hoping for Mason Greenwood for a while. It’s bar far the biggest weakness of the next generation of players. Even left back and Goalie have one exciting prospect. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Best team won the tournament, no doubt about that. However, if England hadn't decided that they would only ever attack when they fell behind, I think they would have both won it and been the best team. When they actually bothered to attack they generally scored fairly quickly (Slovakia apart) only to immediately sit back again.

Southgate has done an excellent job in some respects, and a bang average one in others. But his record at tournaments means he will go down as one of England's best managers. I think he's done now though, and I think the FA should go all out to try and get Pep.

Pep has no chance while Man City are under investigation. It would be an extremely controversial move. 

16 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

In half a decade or so we might not have any strikers. They is no post 2000 looking that likely to bust through. The FA were hoping for Mason Greenwood for a while. It’s bar far the biggest weakness of the next generation of players. Even left back and Goalie have one exciting prospect. 

Feel free to come back and say "I told you so" when England can't find a single serviceable striker in 5 years time. We only play one FFS!

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Feel free to come back and say "I told you so" when England can't find a single serviceable striker in 5 years time. We only play one FFS!

More likely play a non striker there. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

More likely play a non striker there. 

If only we had players used to playing that role! Foden...Palmer...even Bellingham at times this season. Never mind, I'm sure something will turn up... :facepalm:

• Haha 2

Gareth Southgate has resigned.

17 minutes ago, TQR said:

I'm off down the bookies to stick £50 on Frank Lampard to become next manager.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, TQR said:

So, will the next manager make two major finals in four tournaments? 

Or last eight years? 

Dunno, I'm thinking not

• Like 3

Klopp is the only one I'd be sure it won't be. He's clearly burned out and needs a good chunk of time (a year or so) away from the game 

I'm not a football fan; I watch the Lions and Lionesses from the QF onwards in the Euros & World Cup, but that's it. Having said that, I'm a fan of Gareth Southgate and the positive attitude he has cultivated during his time as manager. He has helped non-fans of the sport appreciate it once every couple of years.

And back-to-back finals? You can't complain at that.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Klopp is the only one I'd be sure it won't be. He's clearly burned out and needs a good chunk of time (a year or so) away from the game 

Plus there are other reasons why the FA wouldn’t go for him. His refusal to talk the Sun would be one. 

• Facepalm 2

Say it with me. Whisper it.

Rooney.

:lol:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Say it with me. Whisper it.

Rooney.

1569942671_Image16-07-2024at12_31.jpeg.229938887fd2113d92691480f53f76da.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, time said:

I'm off down the bookies to stick £50 on Frank Lampard to become next manager.

Stick it in a double with Nigel Farage to be leader of the Conservatives within the next 4 years. 

Easy money. 

4 hours ago, TQR said:

I'm not a football fan; I watch the Lions and Lionesses from the QF onwards in the Euros & World Cup, but that's it. Having said that, I'm a fan of Gareth Southgate and the positive attitude he has cultivated during his time as manager. He has helped non-fans of the sport appreciate it once every couple of years.

And back-to-back finals? You can't complain at that.

I agree. I've had respect for him ever since he stepped up to take a penalty at Euro 96 while the rest were hanging back. 

It was saved.  I don't call saved penalties "missed". The goalkeeper deserves credit.  A missed penalty is one that goes over the bar or wide of the goal. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Shame, mind - he's enough of a master tactition to cope with such a job, and it's not as many games as a league season with cup runs. 

I'm thinking Eddie Howe might be the FA's kind of man, and I'm thinking they'll go Englishman again, if they can. Which narrows the field a lot. A wildcard they'd never dare would be the other master tactition with a track record they currently employ, Sarina Wiegman.

• Like 2

I'm hoping Lee Carsley gets the job. Not the big name that many will be craving, but (like Southgate before him) he's done an excellent job with the under 21s and looks like he gets international management.

Low-key gutted tonight. I'm not going to pretend it's been exciting, I wish we could find a way to unlock all of the attacking talent in our squad and I wish we'd been able to take that final step and lift something over the past 4 tournaments. But we were at completely rock bottom in 2016. The World Cup in 2014 was dire. The loss to Iceland in 2016 was not really a surprise, which was damning in itself. The less said about Big Sam the better. And in just 2 years, Southgate turned it around. He reconnected us to the England squad and gave us a team we were proud of. He reconnected them with each other, made them a squad and removed the club cliques that had plagued the Golden Generation. And he did the most incredible thing ever: he won a penalty shoot-out. More than once. Just not the one that really REALLY mattered. His reign should have ended with a trophy. It hasn't, and so he'll always be a nearly man. But he's the best England manager we've had since Bobby Robson and that's saying something. I hope the next manager doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater and builds on what Southgate has done rather than tear it down and start again. While I don't think Gareth's had the recognition he deserves for the job he's done, I really hope we don't look back on this decision as a mistake because it's all gone pear-shaped under whoever comes next. Because it's not just a certainty that whoever comes next can do the job better. And, even if they prove more tactically astute, more ruthless in the big moments and, ultimately more successful, they are going to have to go a long way to be more calm, considered, thoughtful, eloquent and measured than Southgate has been. He has led this team from start to finish and allowed them to flourish, and, yes, I do mean flourish. 2 finals in 6 years and close semis and quarters in between is astonishing after what came before. He has given us all we ever asked of our national team: pride and hope. Thanks, Gareth.

No idea who comes next, I've no firm opinions, I think they've just got a big job on their hands to make the most of the opportunity they're being given.

• Like 2

Potter showing interest. Think that might be a decent fit. Six months at basket case Chelsea doesn't change the fact he's a decent manager and Brighton played some good stuff. And he's a good man, like Southgate. Won't suit the ones who didn't like Southgate though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Potter showing interest. Think that might be a decent fit. Six months at basket case Chelsea doesn't change the fact he's a decent manager and Brighton played some good stuff. And he's a good man, like Southgate. Won't suit the ones who didn't like Southgate though.

While he is showing interest i am not sure how interested the FA is. For a long time he seemed the FA’s favourite but that now seems to be the harder to get Howe and in some of the articles about Howe they are negative references to his time at Chelsea and if he could cope with the pressure etc. 

Anyone fancy it? 

https://careers.thefa.com/jobs/vacancy/england-mens-senior-team-head-coach-nfcsgp0377-national-football-centre-st-georges-park/2137/description/

We are currently overseeing a highly targeted process to appoint the next Head Coach of the England Men's Senior Team.

Our succession planning process has already identified a number of candidates; in addition to this we are committed to open recruitment processes in the football industry and are interested in hearing from individuals who meet the following criteria:

THE ROLE

• Lead and develop the England senior men's team to win a major tournament and be consistently ranked as one of the top teams in the world.
  • Provide inspiring leadership to a world class, multi-disciplinary technical team based at St. George's Park.
  • Develop and maintain strong relationships with clubs who employ English qualified players.

THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE

• Will hold a UEFA Pro License.
  • Will have significant experience of English football, with a strong track record delivering results in the Premier League and/or leading international competitions.
  • Will be an exceptional leader who understands and will enjoy the international football environment.
  • Will be experienced in successfully identifying, managing and developing English qualified players.
  • Will be highly resilient and comfortable in a very high-profile role with intense public scrutiny.
  • Will have a track record of creating a high performing, positive team culture and environment.
  • Will have strong personal values and integrity and understand and embrace the role that the England Men's Senior Team Head Coach has inspiring the nation.

OUR VALUES

• Aim HIGH
  • Achieve TOGETHER
  • Embrace DIFFERENCE

Should you want to register your interest and you meet the criteria above, please do this via email to mannie.neville@thefa.com

This is a private address, and should you meet all the criteria you will receive a response.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1