Football league want 5 leagues of 20 teams (PL, Ch, L1, L2, L3) from 2018/19.

What a load of bollocks, just move the National League to League 3 status and keep the 20, 24, 24, 24, 24 structure. Heck ad 24 teams to the PL and extend the season.

I think it's inevitable. The conference has many teams that are no different in size, support and finance to League 2. 46 matches it a hell of a lot of games to fit in, when you add the myriad cups and so on. Maybe 20, 20, 22, 22, 22 (106) might make a better structure IMO...

What annoys me is that among the top European leagues, Germany's Bundesliga has 18 teams and is awarded FOUR Champions League places! No wonder they can afford to take the winter off. Up to 20 teams, you lot!

Awarded yes, but not necessarily via League.

'If' city and Liverpool had both won the two trophies in Europe , only the top 3 in the league would've qualified for the CL.

4th spot would be Europa.

Same applies to Germany , and more importantly as it will apply next season, for Spain.

Look how small the Scottish top flight is. Imagine having to play Dundee or Kilmarnock four times a season, I'd rather be forced to chat with Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband.

The teams don't all play each other four times - that would be 44 games which the poor overworked players would complain about. What happens is that the teams play each other three times (12 teams, 33 games) then the league splits in half. The top six play each other once more for a total of 38 games, while the same happens in the bottom six. This can and does lead to abnormalities where the team in seventh place at the end of the season has more points than the one in sixth place, but they don't adjust the placings to take care of this.

It's unlikely but not impossible that the team in sixth place might have fewer points than all six of the teams below them, which would raise an interesting question on who gets relegated...

Aye, 18-20 away games a season. It's meant to be 19, but they're never very exact from memory. There was the option for Thistle to finish with more points than 6th place this season, but we went to sleep after losing the County game. I'm of the view that if the teams want a 38 game season, they can have a 20 team league, but that's just me.

Also, the German teams got four CL spots on merit, the Italians lost a spot because they turned their nose up at the Europa League. Now they're taking that seriously (but had bad draws this year), and the English tend to turn their noses up at it, so wouldn't surprise me to see Serie A nab the Premier League's 4th spot. That'll be fun, for all the panic it causes in Manchester/Chelsea/etc.

Brendan Rodgers is new Celtic manager? I wonder if he can keep up his fine tradition of never winning anything.

What a load of bollocks, just move the National League to League 3 status and keep the 20, 24, 24, 24, 24 structure. Heck ad 24 teams to the PL and extend the season.

Aye, that plan is also a pisser for many supporters who live well away from their hometown team and rely on away games as the best chance to see them.

Speaking of which, on behalf of all Carlisle supporters in and around London can I wish Plymouth Argyll every success on 30 March and hope they hammer AFC Wimbledon and condemn them to hosting Carlisle United again next season

Aye, that plan is also a pisser for many supporters who live well away from their hometown team and rely on away games as the best chance to see them.

Speaking of which, on behalf of all Carlisle supporters in and around London can I wish Plymouth Argyll every success on 30 March and hope they hammer AFC Wimbledon and condemn them to hosting Carlisle United again next season

I'm sure Carlisle wouldn't mind getting rid of the round trip to Plymouth in itself either.

Be nice for most Man U fans to have a game in their home city tomorrow.

• Like 2

Be nice for most Man U fans to have a game in their home city tomorrow.

What, they've moved the final to Beijing?

• Like 1

Thistle used to play in Partick (hence the name) before moving to Firhill in Maryhill in 1909. There was a fan vote on changing the name of the club to Maryhill Thistle, but thankfully it was decided overwhelmingly to keep the original name. It's really just down the road though. Google claims its a 3 mile difference, so I suspect Google isn't very sober.

Their old ground Meadowside was by the mouth of the Kelvin at the Clyde, opposite where the Riverside Museum is now situated, and a recurring urban legend is that they employed a young lad in a boat, because free kicks had a habit of going directly into the river, and the club couldn't afford extra balls.

I assume you're a jags supporter?

Thistle used to play in Partick (hence the name) before moving to Firhill in Maryhill in 1909. There was a fan vote on changing the name of the club to Maryhill Thistle, but thankfully it was decided overwhelmingly to keep the original name. It's really just down the road though. Google claims its a 3 mile difference, so I suspect Google isn't very sober.

Their old ground Meadowside was by the mouth of the Kelvin at the Clyde, opposite where the Riverside Museum is now situated, and a recurring urban legend is that they employed a young lad in a boat, because free kicks had a habit of going directly into the river, and the club couldn't afford extra balls.

Yes, for my sins.

Yes, for my sins.

I should really hate you 'cos I'm a Clyde supporter.
  • Like 1

This is turning into the Fitba thread!

I'm sure Carlisle wouldn't mind getting rid of the round trip to Plymouth in itself either.

The club wouldn't mind but it's a point that a lot of supporters of northern teams end up moving south for work and there are London branch supporters clubs for glamour outfits like Carlisle United and Rochdale. There was a plan years ago - I won't bore you with the circumstances or personalities - to move Carlisle United to the Scottish leagues (bear in mind Berwick Rangers are an English team with an ground in England, so there's a precedent and Gretna spent years in the English Northern Premier League).

That would have left the Carlisle London branch with their closest game 370 miles up the road in Carlisle

End of Season table for German 5th division, no that's not a typo for Lurup Hamburg. Apparently they had a disagreement in which all the players left pre-season and played their U23s who normally play in the 8th division in their place. 1 point, 255 goals conceded. A goal difference of -242

TawOwl-7L8m2bpHqARymTCgznuA38df7gyM3Zo9h

Stokes :lol:

Hoodoo could be broken today.

Maybe not..... Miller, Haliday

Maybe not..... Miller, Haliday

Fair play. Well done to the Hi-bees.

Huns gonna Hun :lol:

Coppers on horseback to break up the boxing. Dean Sh els (he's missing an eye) fighting with fans.

Last minute winner.

Perfect :)

Well, if 'they' had won , it would've proved the new club theory re Europe , but this is almost as funny......

106 (one hundered and six) years since FC Diddy last won the Scottish Cup :-)

13230216_731517673618272_243567794847799

It's rumoured that Bruce Forsyth will be asked to perform at Hibs' cup-winning party. Apparently he did it the last time...

• Like 3

Apparently what happened was a celebratory pitch invasion of no real threat, in which a couple of muppets marred it. Depending on how the ground regulations are written they could theoretically charge every Hibs supporter who went on the pitch with trespass at most as I don't think the Football Offences Act covers scotland. Cue the Scottish FA being "shocked and appalled".

Some guy chose to wear his wife / girlfriends knickers to the final :-)

13221701_1738101056404839_89487740355865

Apparently what happened was a celebratory pitch invasion of no real threat, in which a couple of muppets marred it. Depending on how the ground regulations are written they could theoretically charge every Hibs supporter who went on the pitch with trespass at most as I don't think the Football Offences Act covers scotland. Cue the Scottish FA being "shocked and appalled".

'Trespass' ? In Scotland ?

Aye, but it wasn't the hibs fans on the park that were causing most of the trouble....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?=36&v=KnPd1HlGYBY

Advice :D

Celtic Wiki

‏@TheCelticWiki

If I was Zidane I couldn't resist giving the instruction: "If you're going at Juanfran, Isco. Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair"

• Like 2

More hun shenanigans/ rumour mill stuff that I normally wouldn't post, but it involves Mary's beloved Carlisle....

BIG PINK

MAY 29, 2016 at 01:38

12 0 Rate This

Learned something this evening which may or may not explain TRFC’s headlong rush into confrontation with the SFA. It appears that some “Hong Kong businessmen” (with wealth off the SARS radar), have been sniffing around Carlisle United. My source tells me that successfully obtaining a controlling interest in that club could see Carlisle renamed as TRFC (transforming Carlisle into the same club that was founded in Glasgow in 1872), but retaining Carlisle’s licence to play in England.

Subsequently a relocation 90 miles down the road – and a break from Glasgow and Scottish football – would take place.

It is worth noting that two Hong Kong based businessmen who have recently “invested” in TRFC have a significant interest in Worthington Reds held under the name “Ibrox Park Holdings”.

My source (a former CEO of a Football League club), remarking on a similar move by Celtic in the not too distant past which was thwarted by a hesitant and conservative Celtic board said;

“King is a risk taker. His over-riding aim in this TRFC project is to have them playing in England – as is Celtic’s – but whilst Celtic’s board are hampered in that aim by their ultra-conservative approach to regulation, King has no qualms about confronting the norms”.

“He might even pull it off!”

Given the belligerent rhetoric coming out of Ibrox in the past week it would certainly make more sense to me that it was initiated, not by a wish to deflect from on-field or Res 12 related issues, but as an engineered opening gambit in a tactical withdrawal from the game in Scotland.

King wants his money back. At the current rate of progress, he’ll be waiting for the NEXT time Hibs win the cup ��

Alternatively, leading the Bears – Moses-like – down the M74 in a victim fuelled exodus to the promised land may appear to be a quicker route to riches.

Of course this is only speculation (or at least the conclusion is), but if King thinks TRFC are unpopular here, wait ’till he hears the fans and residents of Carlisle!

Owt on this doing the rounds down your way Mary ?