maryportfuncity

Deadio Times

If you watch the early 90s "Celebrity Squares" repeats on Challenge, a fun game is to see if you can get three-in-a-row of now dead contestants. Yesterday gave you Wendy Richard, Willie Rushton and Dame Hilda Bracket as a diagonal, with John Inman, Joan Sims and Tony Gerrard as additional stiffs.

I do that too. I also like playing dead/alive bingo with Blankety Blank.

• Like 1

If you watch the early 90s "Celebrity Squares" repeats on Challenge, a fun game is to see if you can get three-in-a-row of now dead contestants. Yesterday gave you Wendy Richard, Willie Rushton and Dame Hilda Bracket as a diagonal, with John Inman, Joan Sims and Tony Gerrard as additional stiffs.

Love this post - I was doing this myself last week.... I had Ted Rogers and one other, blocked by Lesley Joseph!

Not forgetting the host himself........

I tend to watch Blankety Blank for:

A - The unfettered genius of Kenny Everett.

B - A nice perv at some of the 70s "lovely ladies"

C - Although it strikes an odd note when some of those said ladies are now dead.

I have noticed the Blankety Blank repeats on Challenge lately. It's comforting to see something that reminds me that not everything on TV was as good as I sometimes believe that it used to be.

The key is with BB is that they all know it's awful, years before all that 1990s po-mo "this is shit" stuff we got...

I have to dispute that. If they really knew how awful Terry Wogan is they would have walked off!

Although, I have to admit to looking up some of the later episodes on YouTube recently, just to hear Les Dawson's self-deprecating routines at the start, cracked me up. Maybe if they show some Dawson episodes and I'm really that bored enough I'll watch some.

They have been, so they probably will...

I have noticed the Blankety Blank repeats on Challenge lately. It's comforting to see something that reminds me that not everything on TV was as good as I sometimes believe that it used to be.

Saw some Bullseye on Challenge a little while back. Were there some researcher employed to scour the country for some of the thickest people in the UK. The questions are mind numbing. But Jim Bowen is still breathing in and out.

That's a cliché-filled dismissal of a British cult masterpiece. You stop dissing Bullseye or I'll get Leighton Rees to knock you out IIIIIIIIIIIIIIN ONE punch. Oh wait, that fucker's dead. Okay, I'll get Jocky..... oh fuck.

Jim Bowen = ledge. And some of the questions were quite hard at times actually. Even harder now for anyone like me who isn't old enough to know half of the now fairly obscure news/events/minor celebrities that were the subjects of the questions.

And anyway what better TV could there be than watching a couple of gormless fuckers throw away all their prizes with an ill-advised gamble, often involving the non-dart player hilariously contributing a much higher total to the final score than his partner?

• Like 1

That's a cliché-filled dismissal of a British cult masterpiece. You stop dissing Bullseye or I'll get Leighton Rees to knock you out IIIIIIIIIIIIIIN ONE punch. Oh wait, that fucker's dead. Okay, I'll get Jocky..... oh fuck.

Jim Bowen = ledge. And some of the questions were quite hard at times actually. Even harder now for anyone like me who isn't old enough to know half of the now fairly obscure news/events/minor celebrities that were the subjects of the questions.

And anyway what better TV could there be than watching a couple of gormless fuckers throw away all their prizes with an ill-advised gamble, often involving the non-dart player hilariously contributing a much higher total to the final score than his partner?

What I can say in support of Bullseye - It is not Catchphrase!!!

Guest Guest

Radio 1's Nick Grimshaw swallows glass. Radio 1's attempts to get more listeners?

more likely an assassination attempt by deranged One Direction fans.He apparantely had a spat with them last week

Radio 1's Nick Grimshaw swallows glass. Radio 1's attempts to get more listeners?

more likely an assassination attempt by deranged One Direction fans.He apparantely had a spat with them last week

But I thought he was bumming friends with Harry whathisname?

Mark Lawson is leaving BBC Radio 4's Front Row for "personal reasons".

Don't think it's health related.

I'm not sure but I am not familiar with the correct medical term for the procedure to remove his head from his own arse.

Derek Cooper, presenter of Radio 4's The Food Programme aged 88.

Derek Cooper, presenter of Radio 4's The Food Programme aged 88.

In a bizarre turn when this was announced on Friday's R4 PM programme the obituary report was delivered by Helen Fawkes.

Sandra Chalmers, younger sister of Judith and editor of 'Woman's Hour' in the 1980s has died aged 74...

Sandra Chalmers, younger sister of Judith and editor of 'Woman's Hour' in the 1980s has died aged 74...

Ok I'm confused, why would we be posting obits here?

SC

Ok I'm confused, why would we be posting obits here?

SC

Indeed, this thread started life so's we could alert each other to decent broadcasting, like Channel Four shows following hopeless fatties around for an hour's top-knotch voyeurism, or Harry Mac's appearances on radio.

A favorite with several DDP big names, Colin Bloomfield, is receiving cancer treatment in a hospice:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Colin-Bloomfield-BBC-Radio-Derby-cancer-battler/story-26304988-detail/story.html

The news sounds cautiously optimistic.

For him or us??

Hmmm, was saying it was well in remission the other week.

Wtf a hospice though....is that normal?

When you can't be easily cared for at home then a hospice is a far kinda place to get the care needed.

• Like 1