godsbollox

Barbara Windsor

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

The last thing he should do is put her in a care home right now.He might as well sign her death warrant ! Unless  he can't wait to get his hands on her will of course...

Poor old Babs.A fatal heart attack or stroke would be a blessing in disguise right now, before she loses what's left o f her once shining personality.:(

The curse of the Carry on films strikes again

Needs to be on next year's list if she makes it - likely to be Drop 40.

If she goes in a care home she'll be gone within a year. Happened with my grandfather - he went downhill fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

If she goes in a care home she'll be gone within a year. Happened with my grandfather - he went downhill fast.

Equally and very sadly,  that's not a guarantee with this illness. I know of a neighbour who suffered in a nursing home for about 4 years with this disease before she passed away.

In an ironic sick twist, her husband now has dementia and is in the same nursing home some 3 years after her passing.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, philheybrookbay said:

Equally and very sadly,  that's not a guarantee with this illness. I know of a neighbour who suffered in a nursing home for about 4 years with this disease before she passed away.

In an ironic sick twist, her husband now has dementia and is in the same nursing home some 3 years after her passing.

Nobby has been in a home for about 5-6 years I think.

My nan lived 4 years in a home but she was physically frail with a slowish form of dementia.

With respect to Barbara there's a lucid phase at the beginning of a dementia diagnosis.

If you don't want to end up in a care home you can take a few decisions at that point to avoid it. 

2 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

With respect to Barbara there's a lucid phase at the beginning of a dementia diagnosis.

If you don't want to end up in a care home you can take a few decisions at that point to avoid it. 

My Aunt who is in the slow downward spiral stage pretty much settled that when she was having her good days. "The hell am I going in one of those places!" So she has a care team in place "where she feels comfortable" (ie her own home) and most of the care homes nearby has been ravaged by covid. So even though I expect *the call* pretty much at any time on her age and health, she's probably bought herself a bit more time to sit in front of her TV.

26 minutes ago, msc said:

My Aunt who is in the slow downward spiral stage pretty much settled that when she was having her good days. "The hell am I going in one of those places!" So she has a care team in place "where she feels comfortable" (ie her own home) and most of the care homes nearby has been ravaged by covid. So even though I expect *the call* pretty much at any time on her age and health, she's probably bought herself a bit more time to sit in front of her TV.

Yup. And let's be honest, Bab's could probably afford a 24/7 home care team..... now I'm not suggesting Scott might be reluctant to spend that money because he's a selfish money-grabbing toy-boy or anything; as that would obviously be out of line but..... 

1 hour ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Yup. And let's be honest, Bab's could probably afford a 24/7 home care team..... now I'm not suggesting Scott might be reluctant to spend that money because he's a selfish money-grabbing toy-boy or anything; as that would obviously be out of line but..... 

I thought she did have home carers - wasn't there a recent article mentioning it?

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

I thought she did have home carers - wasn't there a recent article mentioning it?

From last years Sun - 7 days a week home care team due to how fast she was falling.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Home care vs top home probably not a massive difference in the price.

Maybe she will end up in Brinsworth or Denville Hall.

What is the average life expectancy of someone in a care hom,e?.Pre covid that is.I k now it has become a lot shorter in the last few months !  

Reading the Article it mentions that her legs are weak and she sometimes has to use a wheelchair.

1 minute ago, CoffinLodger said:

What is the average life expectancy of someone in a care hom,e?.Pre covid that is.I k now it has become a lot shorter in the last few months !  

11 months or something but it varies as not everyone enters at the same stage of decline.

29 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

11 months or something but it varies as not everyone enters at the same stage of decline.

Oh dear. Looks like poor old Barbara will be going on the 2021 list but only if she makes it to the end of this year ! 

18 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

My grandad had a stroke, went home after four months in hospital but about a year later both him and nan went into care, he lasted a few months and Nan (who was already in advanced stages of dementia when they went in) lasted not quite two years.