CarolAnn

Baseball

Jerry Walker, who pitched 190 games with three teams combined between 1957 and 1964 and who was the first ever Baltimore Orioles pitcher to start an All-Star Game, has died. He was 85. This year's All Star Game was yesterday (July 16th).

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/orioles-mlb/baltimore-orioles-jerry-walker-all-star-pitcher-obit-MSTTAXHPVZFJZEDSZVFJSQXITQ/

image.png.f3aea586f4f2232bc1af6b3dc7a48f69.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Denny Lemaster, pitcher with the Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves, Houston Astros and Montreal Expos and 1967 All Star, death notice: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/denny-lemaster-obituary?id=55703415

At first, I had him confused with Johnnie LeMaster, a shortstop who had the distinction of playing for 3 last place teams in 1985.

38 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Dodgers pitcher in the 2022 season, Reyes Moronta dead at 31.

IMG_2155.jpeg

He was most recently a pitcher for the Angels, who have a history (curse?) of their pitchers dying young. See also: Tyler Skaggs and Nick Adenhart. Pretty fitting team name. 

1 hour ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Dodgers pitcher in the 2022 season, Reyes Moronta dead at 31.

IMG_2155.jpeg

Well I know I'm never getting in a car in the Dominican Republic. Seems to be a way any of these guys die far too young...

Former 6-year big leaguer Billy Bean (not to be confused with the former GM Billy Beane), who was in an MLB front office position after his playing days, has died at the age of 60.  He notably came out of the closet in 1999.  RIP.  

• Like 3

On 22/01/2024 at 14:37, MrWonderful said:

Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg announced on Instagram that he is beginning treatment for metastatic prostate cancer.  How truly sad, both because of the prognosis of this condition and because, well, it would have been entirely preventable if he had simply gone to the doctor for yearly physicals.  It can take up to 8 years, from what I gather, for prostate cancer to metastasize, so he had to go years without a physical.  The average life expectancy with this condition is 21 months, and the 5-year survival rate is 28%.  He's 64 and he's going to die young over something that was completely preventable.  

GET YOUR ANNUAL PHYSICAL, FOLKS.  

A major bump here.  I have no idea how this has happened, but if he is indeed in the clear, this would be pretty remarkable, so good for him.  As you can see and hear in the link, he says he was told yesterday morning that he underwent his last radiation treatment, that the cancer could not be detected, and that his condition was "very manageable" going forward.  

American baseball player Pete Daley (Wikidead at 94

image.thumb.png.bc27284b8852da130f162821ae007e81.png

• Like 3

Don Wert, who played over 1,100 games, mostly with the Detroit Tigers, between 1963 and 1971, including 1968 when he was an All-Star and part of the World Series-winning team, has died.  He was 86.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2024/08/26/don-wert-detroit-tigers-1968-world-series-team-dies-86/74953222007/

image.png.e392f91cab629705d940d2e12c2c8dbc.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/03/2024 at 16:54, Ulitzer95 said:

Wade Boggs, 66, had pneumonia in 2020 but seems to be quite healthy

Wade Boggs has prostate cancer:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2024/09/07/hall-famer-wade-boggs-announces-cancer-diagnosis/

I've been watching a lot of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" lately. That's how I know the name. Haven't really checked if Boggs is actually a heavy drinker.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I've been watching a lot of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" lately. That's how I know the name. Haven't really checked if Boggs is actually a heavy drinker.

I learned about Wade Boggs through "Cheers". Can confirm that he is a heavy drinker.

• Like 1

I knew about Wade Boggs for a long time as Futurama made a reference to him in a baseball episode. His Cheers appearance I saw about a year and a half ago.

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

The Boggs episode of Sunny is brilliant, it's also my only exposure to him (not a sports fan at all). Oddly enough he was a unique pick for my Sunny DDP team last year but I didn't continue it for this year, so potential list of the missed if he doesn't make 2025.

On 08/09/2024 at 09:34, gcreptile said:

Wade Boggs has prostate cancer:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2024/09/07/hall-famer-wade-boggs-announces-cancer-diagnosis/

Portrayed brilliantly by Kenneth Williams in Carry on at Your Convenience.

IMG_1997.png

Minnie Mendoza, who played only 16 games for the Minnesota Twins on 1970 dead according baseball-almanac.

• Like 1

Ozzie Virgil Sr., Major League Baseball's first ever Dominican-born player, who played 324 games combined with several teams between 1956 and 1969, has died. He was 92.  Virgil's son, Ozzie Virgil Jr., played 739 games between 1980 and 1990.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ozzie-virgil-sr-mlbs-first-dominican-born-player-dies-at-92-opened-doors-for-all-latin-players/

image.png.9cce25574230ae665ecd94de921d275e.png

• Like 1