honez

Jimmy Savile

Stuff

The issue is one of free speech versus libel/defamation.

To say that someone who has been accused of a crime is an 'alleged something' is factually accurate and the right to discuss such matters is protected by article 10 the Human Rights Act, which covers freedom of expression.

What CAN BE a crime and/or a civil matter is libel/defamation. If i was to say '[insert wholesome celebrity name here] is an nonce, allegedly' when said celebrity had never been accused publicly of such a crime by a credible source, I would potentially be libelling them. The use of the caveat 'allegedly' in that context would not excuse my accusation, because nobody had actually alleged it. Of late, there is something of a fashion for celebrities to use S.5 of the Public Order Act to claim that such libel is causing them harassment, alarm or distress. Libel is a civil matter, pursued by the individual usually for compensation to balance the defamation caused to a person's reputation, while S.5 is a criminal matter pursued by the police with a view to a criminal conviction. Lily Allen was among the first, i believe, when she complained to the police about a young Scottish soldier making a comment about her adopting a black baby on twitter.

However, S.5 can equally be applied to any post on an internet site made by a person subject to the law of England and Wales which could cause a person harrassment, alarm or distress. Were you to respond to this with 'EGN is a cunt', i would have as much right in law to complain to the police about that as Mr Clifford has to complain about my post. Moreso in fact, given that I have never been accused of being a cunt in the national press.

With regard Mr Clifford getting a fair trial, I'm afraid celebrities have been trying that yarn for years. The general ruling is that a jury should be representative of society (IE: Not made up specifically of people who have or havent heard of the sterling work Mr Clifford does on behalf of celebrities everywhere) but where the allegation has been made widely, I am fairly certain a selection process can be put in place to use jurors unaware of the press coverage of the offence. You'd be amazed at how little attention some people pay the sordid celebrity world. My mum, for one couldn't tell you who Max clifford is/was or what he had been accused of.

• Like 1

Stuff

Lots of well thought out and reasoned comment

You make fair points and, on the face of it, sensible, logical and correct points too.

From my perspective "freedom of speech" has been well and truly fucked up the tradesmans entrance to the point that the freedom of the press to carry out investigative journalism is being severely compromised.

Ok, Im not too sure that i was particularly interested in Max Moseley being fisted by a Prostitute dressed like Herr flick ( allegedly ;) ) but some of the stuff that has been bought to the publics attention has been brilliant. The Leveson report clearly seeks to take a sledgehammer to it all which may well impact what we are entitled to be told.

The point is, If it can be done to the press it can be done to individuals. The notion that free speech makes it ok and protects you legally is something i would rather not rely on thanks.

I dont give a shit whether the law is accusing somebody of something,that somebody is innocent until they are proven guilty.

Its one thing to accuse somebody of being a burglar its another thing to accuse somebody of being a turd burglar of underage children.

Sorry, i just dont feel comfortable with that, Id rather that type of thing gets proved or disproved in court.

Things are changing and i think people need to be more careful in what they say, thats all.

Thats a personal opinion, people will do what they wish but Im not comfortable with bear baiting.

Each to their own, eh?

• Like 1

Probably someone looking to make a fast buck. This crime took place almost 50 years ago? She must have a good memory.

Good point, I have a job to remember who I shagged last week!*

*Keep your knickers on, morality fans. I have been in a long-term committed relationship for some four years, therefore I have not had sex with ANYBODY AT ALL for at least three years :D

• Like 2

That post from LFN sums up what i like about this site, on most others the respondent would simply have posted 'EGN is a cunt'...

• Like 1

That post from LFN sums up what i like about this site, on most others the respondent would simply have posted 'EGN is a cunt'...

Give it time, you've obviously caught the old goat on a good day :D

• Like 1

A Sydney woman has been interviewed about Rolf. It doesn't say so in this article but, on the news last night, she claims to have "witnessed something" backstage during the 1990s. She allegedly didn't come forward at the time because she felt no one would believe her but finally notified the police a few months ago.

Give it time, you've obviously caught the old goat on a good day :D

You total bastard... :lol:

He's mellowed a lot lately.

I just wanted to say that this topic is really-really annoying. The guy died years a go. Let him rest and drop the topic.

You should see the digital spy thread on him if you think ours is bad. Their one is over 100 pages long.

I just wanted to say that this topic is really-really annoying. The guy died years a go. Let him rest and drop the topic.

No, let's exhume his corpse and allow his victims to stomp it into powder. Scumbag

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree with you. Perhaps now that Jimmy himself has died this topic should be moved to the extra-curicular thread. It's really not relevant to death anymore, but rather to a current event.

I think it's fine as is, and it does still pertain to death given most of those accused are up in age and these kind of events can't be good for ones blood pressure

• Like 1

A Sydney woman has been interviewed about Rolf. It doesn't say so in this article but, on the news last night, she claims to have "witnessed something" backstage during the 1990s. She allegedly didn't come forward at the time because she felt no one would believe her but finally notified the police a few months ago.

Maybe she saw someone blowing on his didgeridoo . :D

You should see the digital spy thread on him if you think ours is bad. Their one is over 100 pages long.

were getting there no worries 35 pages now :P . Well if you think ours is bad and theirs is bad You should see the david icke thread 3500 pages and 7 million views last time i looked.

Maybe the savile thread should be locked and a operation yewtree or the predict a nonce thread should take over .

946646_515172395187027_1278767504_n.jpg
  • Like 1

Here we go again.

http://www.dailymail...-sex-abuse.html

I wonder who it is. Let the wild speculation begin.

You can't beat a bit of wild speculation.........

We should bet on it.

With the right odds who knows...this time next year we could be millionaires!

Perfick.

So, the above lead turned out to be Tarbuck?

Or is this "Perfick" clue still applicable to "someone" else? Who may now have a super-injunction?

Looks like we've been made to look like plonkers then. I'm pleased it's not DJ although a trawl through t'net will show there are a few whispers...

New allegations against Rolf. :(

Make what you will of this quote from the article, though:

"It is understood Lee used agent Max Markson to help sell her story to Woman's Day and Channel 9's A Current Affair which will air their interview tonight. Asked about whether she feels she will be criticised for accepting money for her story, she told the magazine: "People may be cynical, but this did happen and this is the truth. If I came forward, others might, and hopefully he'll be charged. I know this is the right thing to do.""

Harris's friend and producer Steve Lima said the allegations were "completely without foundation".

He said the entertainer had "aged ten years in the last six months" and was "fearful that he might take his life". Mr Lima added: "I can assure you, as his pal, he has no interest in children."

http://mobile.news.com.au/world-news/europe/rolf-harris-abused-me-in-my-teens-aussie-woman-alleges/story-fnh81p7g-1226640971057

Harris's friend and producer Steve Lima said the allegations were "completely without foundation".

He said the entertainer had "aged ten years in the last six months" and was "fearful that he might take his life". Mr Lima added: "I can assure you, as his pal, he has no interest in children."

http://mobile.news.c...g-1226640971057

Looks like Rolf could do with his own discussion thread

"It is understood Lee used agent Max Markson to help sell her story to Woman's Day and Channel 9's A Current Affair which will air their interview tonight. Asked about whether she feels she will be criticised for accepting money for her story, she told the magazine: "People may be cynical, but this did happen and this is the truth. If I came forward, others might, and hopefully he'll be charged. I know this is the right thing to do.""

But if he is found guilty of abusing women in Britain and Australia where will he stand trial and probably go to jail ?

I know we used to send our criminals to Australia but ....

• Like 1

But if he is found guilty of abusing women in Britain and Australia where will he stand trial and probably go to jail ?

I know we used to send our criminals to Australia but ....

Not sure but it would keep his brief busy

• Like 1

saw rory mcgrath's name flash up on sky news i thought he is the new yewtree arrest . Turns out he just got drunk and assaulted a couple of people.

I know it may sound like a joke now but if about 10 people end up doing time for the whole operation yewtree investigation , I really wouldn't put it past someone trying to make a tv or reality show out of it .

His most recent show, Rory and Will - Champions of the World, saw him travel around the UK in a Morris Minor with former Hollyoaks star Will Mellor.

Fuck, why didn't Tivo remind me of this?