Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

Found a copy of Kes lurking in a Fopp shop, bought it for a fiver and found myself and the young 'un impressed, despite the dated camera work.

Kinda relevant here because I was drawn to the DVD when I saw the picture on the front and thought; 'That's ATJ's avatar.'

• Like 1

I've just finished watching The Queen, and I thought it was quite good. I especially liked Michael Sheen's portrayal of Tony Blair, and I now find myself feeling a smidgen of sympathy with the Royal family.

Guest Guest

Saw Spiderman 3 yesterday, good if you ignore all the preachy "you have a choice" bollocks.

Went to see the Joe Strummer film. I doubt if it’ll make a Clash convert out of non-believers (like me) and it’s about half an hour too long thanks to Julien Temple’s general ar(t)sing around, but you can’t fail to be impressed by the bloke’s sincerity (he means, it maan), his patent loathing of the Biz that ensnared him and his all-around questingness for something more out of life than just fulfilling the style-over-substance parody those sacred Westway cows became. Guess he never quite got over the public school thing, and also ended up with the weirdest pseudo-transatlantic-hippy accent, but I tip the hat to him all the same.

This is a much better rockumentary, however. Hey ho...

In the meantime, a film which I have yet to see, but whose existence I discovered today and which sounds quite interesting:

Onan Island with You. Starring Esther Williams.

Must be a hell of a film.

On a less serious note, I finally managed to track down and watch a copy of Mike Leigh's Nuts in May.

Those of you who were in the habit of watching Play for Today in early 1976 may remember this excellent masterpiece featuring Alison Steadman and Roger Sloman. (Whose utterly cringeworthy characters Keith and Candice-Marie Pratt can also be seen in certain episodes of Absolutely, if you look closely enough.)

Just seen The Good Shepherd on a flight to New York (yes BS that's me stalking you in the street). Very good except I couldn't hear all the dialogue so will need to see it again. Also watched an Inconvenient Truth - makesyathink.

Just seen The Good Shepherd on a flight to New York (yes BS that's me stalking you in the street). Very good except I couldn't hear all the dialogue so will need to see it again. Also watched an Inconvenient Truth - makesyathink.

O god not that classy dressed gray haired wrinkly old guy who was using a prehistoric fishing pole in the wishing well?

Dame you Godot

By the way I haven't seen the film but I bet Angelina Jolie sets it on fire.

BS wrote:

Dame you Godot

Is this some sort of transvestite outing?

Cheers,

BHB

Is this some sort of transvestite outing?

I don't know, Lord Fellatio Nelson sure follows you around good. Does he go by Shirley?

Regards,

BS

Saw some more good films on the way back from NY:

The Lives of Others - about the Stasi is fascinating to see how one character tranforms himself from baddy to goody.

Babel - a bit like Short Cuts in the way it makes connections between different but related stories, partly about the way things can go pear shaped when you live and travel off the beaten track.

I saw this movie about cloning, and the possible but (Of course) fictional cruelty if this procedure ever went down. The film was called 'The Island' taking place in 2019. It was one of those modernized films that began in a huge center designed for clones, mainly for the high class and famous. Basically the lesson is that one of the clones of some multi millionaire realizes that eventually he and all the others will die, and 'The Island' doesn't really exist, they are just held as spare parts for the Football player or the ninety five year old beauty who wants a face lift. Even as they are clones, they are also human beings. He and some blond escape, but I enjoyed the city atmosphere, like some movies it wasn't as overdone.

I saw this movie about cloning, and the possible but (Of course) fictional cruelty if this procedure ever went down. The film was called 'The Island' taking place in 2019. It was one of those modernized films that began in a huge center designed for clones, mainly for the high class and famous. Basically the lesson is that one of the clones of some multi millionaire realizes that eventually he and all the others will die, and 'The Island' doesn't really exist, they are just held as spare parts for the Football player or the ninety five year old beauty who wants a face lift. Even as they are clones, they are also human beings. He and some blond escape, but I enjoyed the city atmosphere, like some movies it wasn't as overdone.

The only noteworthy thing about The Island is that Scarlett Johansson was supposedly disappointed that director Michael GBay insisted she kept her bra on for the perfunctory sex scene so the film could retain its PG-13 rating.

Was it filmed on Bikini Atoll?

She's not the only one who was disappointed....

The only noteworthy thing about The Island is that Scarlett Johansson was supposedly disappointed that director Michael GBay insisted she kept her bra on for the perfunctory sex scene so the film could retain its PG-13 rating.

The director was just doing his job. Anyway I was watching the season finale of the Soprano's last night

remainder of post deleted, along with Banshees' original post

Can any other Americans please try and refrain from giving away Sopranos plot spoilers since we don't get the last few episodes over here till, like, 2010. I mean, really, what IS the point of all that ass-kissing special relationship bullshit, hey...

British TV programming - into Room 101 with you. I suppose I could always watch it on the interweb.

I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time ever the other night & was... massively disappointed. I appreciate it was made in the 70's etc, but hey, whacked or what?

I only watched it because we've had it on DVD on the shelf for years & never got round to watching it (my brother-in-law gave it to us) & anyway, was watching Danny Dyer's The Real Football Factories International & there was an Italian firm called the Droogs after the gang in the film.

'Oh, let's give it a go,' I suggested afterwards, slipping the disc in to the machine. Bad choice, bad move. No sex afterwards for me.

A Clockwork Orange. Classic 70's film masterpiece or crock of arty farty sh*t with a bit of violence, tits & vag thrown in? Oh, silly me, that constitutes 70's film masterpiece, doesn't it?

Cheers,

BHB

I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time ever the other night & was... massively disappointed. I appreciate it was made in the 70's etc, but hey, whacked or what?

I only watched it because we've had it on DVD on the shelf for years & never got round to watching it (my brother-in-law gave it to us) & anyway, was watching Danny Dyer's The Real Football Factories International & there was an Italian firm called the Droogs after the gang in the film.

'Oh, let's give it a go,' I suggested afterwards, slipping the disc in to the machine. Bad choice, bad move. No sex afterwards for me.

A Clockwork Orange. Classic 70's film masterpiece or crock of arty farty sh*t with a bit of violence, tits & vag thrown in? Oh, silly me, that constitutes 70's film masterpiece, doesn't it?

Cheers,

BHB

I'm glad I've finally found someone who agrees with me that this movie is sh*t. Every time I criticize this movie, I get the "Well you didn't like it because you didn't get it" line. No, I got it. Stanley Kubrick dropped his pants, shat on a film reel and, because you couldn't interpret it easily, you thought it was a masterpiece. Not everything vague and pointless is a f*****g work of art. While I think that it's often important for a movie to have a message or a meaning, it's chief purpose is to entertain. If a book had a great message, but was written like sh*t, no one would defend it. If a film has a message of sorts, but doesn't entertain, people will attack you for being for being uncultured if it bores you to tears.

The worst part is, Kubrick can make some damn good films for his era, like Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket. But most film majors are taught that everything he produces is gold.

What are your thoughts on 2001: A Space Odyssey BHB?

I'll have to admit that I didn't think Dr. Strangelove was a good as its ranking in those "Best 100 comedies of all time" type programmes which, unfortunately, C4 (UK) manage to find a never ending source of topics to explore. It is somewhat funny but, as discussed elsewhere (I believe, or maybe I dreamt it) about comedy and the aging principle, perhaps you had to watch it back in the 60's to fully appreciate it.

CP: I only ever saw this once, when I was a mere slip of a lad, so I probably couldn't give it a fair review, but I do remember it as being long & boring. Put it this way, whenever it's been repeated on telly since I have never found myself thinking 'ooh, I must watch that again', in the way I do whenever I spot Westworld or Planet of the Apes in the listings.

It's probably me. I'm an uncultured, uncouth philistine whose idea of art is Carry on Camping.

I love most of Sam Peckinpah's movies though, especially Straw Dogs. Now, that is a movie.

Oh, & I'm pleased to be in the 'We think A Clockwork Orange is Shite Society' with such good company. We could get tee-shirts & baseball caps made. And maybe badges.

Or mebbe not.

Cheers,

BHB

Oh, & I'm pleased to be in the 'We think A Clockwork Orange is Shite Society' with such good company. We could get tee-shirts & baseball caps made. And maybe badges.

The membership's steadily rising. Count me in.

I'll have to admit that I didn't think Dr. Strangelove was a good as its ranking in those "Best 100 comedies of all time" type programmes which, unfortunately, C4 (UK) manage to find a never ending source of topics to explore. It is somewhat funny but, as discussed elsewhere (I believe, or maybe I dreamt it) about comedy and the aging principle, perhaps you had to watch it back in the 60's to fully appreciate it.

Probably. When I saw that movie for the first (and thusfar, only time) I didn't particularly enjoy it while I watching it. Then later, in bed, it hit me... whoa, what a movie. It's difficult to recreate over the internet, but suffice to say I'm not in any hurry to watch it again.

long & boring.

That pretty much sums it up... I can't comment too much on it, because the one time I watched it, I fast forwarded through all the slow parts. I will admit that it is an impressive visual experience, but I'm wary of any movie that I'd need LSD to enjoy. :lol:

We could get tee-shirts & baseball caps made. And maybe badges.

I'd feel safer in California with a Klan hood. <_<

Rented a couple of decent ones lately, both British low budget jobs so - I'm guessing - if anyone takes them as a result of this mention the few pence generated will be welcome.

Red Road: Bleak as hell, set in Glasgow about a woman who works in a security centre watching CCTV screens. A guy turns up in the picture who she's obviously had unpleasant dealings with.....

Ghosts: Nick Broomfield - who did Kurt and Courteney - fact/fictional movie about people involved in Morcambe Bay disaster. Again bleak, but thought provoking.

Saw The Prestige on a plane the other week. Not bad, although it will forever be confused with The Illusionist, another period piece about magicians with dodgy European accents, which came out at almost the same time. Michael Caine is cast against type as a world-weary cockney fellah, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are good in the leads, and Scarlett Johansson appears which can never be bad.

Saw The Prestige on a plane the other week. Not bad, although it will forever be confused with The Illusionist, another period piece about magicians with dodgy European accents, which came out at almost the same time. Michael Caine is cast against type as a world-weary cockney fellah, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are good in the leads, and Scarlett Johansson appears which can never be bad.

Aye, but David Bowie also appears and that can seldom be good. Share your informed opinion on this one mind NAP, fair movie, an opinion also shared by the Voice of Young Maryport who selected it from the rental shelf.

Aye, but David Bowie also appears and that can seldom be good.

Excuse me?

zoolander_blog240x303.jpg